Do you think they’ll change the .270s twist rate?

The .270 Win. has had the 1-10" twist forever, when introduced they were intending on the 130gr. bullets being the main bullet. Hunters wanted a 150gr. bullet at a very slow speed, then they didn't buy it, so Winchester upped the velocity of the 150's and it has been very successful ever since. P.O. Ackley rebarreled .270 Win.'s with faster twist to shoot the old 180gr. Barnes original bullets Fred Barnes made for the 270. Looks like people have been wanting fast twist 270's for a very long time, maybe they will start listing or maybe not. Only time will tell.

FYSA, Matrix Bullets recommends a 1:8" twist (https://matrixbullets.com/us/hunting-bullets-277-175-0gr-vld.html).

Agrees, the 1:8" is a much better twist rate choice. My .270 AI has a 30" Lilja 1:8" 3G that stabilizes the 175 Matrix very well. What velocity and SG are you getting out of your 1:9" at your altitude? This might (?) play a factor. When I plug in my number in Berger's twist rate calculator, here's what I get ...

View attachment 187398

But sometimes rifle/barrel set-up and load are just incompatible.
Due to mine being a 1:9 I have been shooting the matrix 165g at 2950fps, and the Berger 170g at 2925 out of a 26" benchmark barrel.

I think its possible that a company might come out with a specific long range gun with a 8.5 to 9 twist in 270 win. I think they would be stupid not too. I think before end of next year there will be a .277 new cartridge in a 8.5 twist that will blow up on sales if marketed right. Lets hope its not Remington they dont know how to market anything. If only Winchester had made the 270 WSM for a 8.5 twist and deeper throat...It would be a giant.

I did not have keyholing on the target, I was just concerned about the slower velocity and that the Recommended Twist rate was 1:8, I never plugged it in to the twist rate calculator, this info you have given me gives me more confidence to try some more load development with it, I have wanted to try with VV N565 or RL26, I think they would do well from what I have been reading but have not been able to find either powder.

Last edited:
I have done a few google searches to try to get the answer to the question I asked above, it is hard to get a clear answer, I am going to have to test these bullets my self some day out to distance to figure it out. But from what I came up with the Berger 170g EOL has been tested by Litz to be g7-.339, and an avg of .662 for G1, I could only find 1 person who tested the Matrix 175g at distance and his test came up with G7 - .3225 or G1 of .6435 - both of these were at a muzzle velocity of 2990 from a 270 wsm. So now I am wondering what the Matrix 165g is I thought it was G1 - .650, but I would assume it is less than the Matrix 175g. I would love to hear from others who have more info on these bullets.

When I ran a lot of the 165 Matrix I ran them at a .316 G7 on the 165, the 175 didn't buy me enough BC for the speed loss so I've always ran them, I have some 180 grain Matrix 270 cal that I've never shot up. It would not surprise me if I retested today I'd run them lower just because of better methods.

Last edited:
Here are a couple barreling the 270 in a faster twist.
  1. Barrett Fieldcraft 1-9 (Winchester)
  2. Nosler M 48 1-8.5 (27 Nosler but there are barrels so why switch them up? We'll see!)
I checked other American manufacturers but nothing I could find.

My 27N will be a long action Remington with a Brux 1-8. In the end it doesn't matter what they put on since it really is reasonable to rebarrel a rifle. Get a nut and it's even easier.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.