Do you think they’ll change the .270s twist rate?

I believe the thought is to hunt with longer heavier bullets out of a 270. No one said anything about targets.

Agree with that ... I've always hunted my 270 win and 270 wby with 140 and 150 grain ammo. I can't wait to have the opportunity to see how it does with 160-175 ammo. The AB is my personal favorite for < 500 yds (which is what 90% of my hunting is) as well, hoping that Nosler does a heavier 277 in the AB as well as ABLR.

Nothing wrong with the 7RM or 280AI or 280rem, but I've never understood the "why do you need a heavier 277 when there are options in 6.5 and 7mm already?" To each their own ...

.270 has been around forever and hasn't gone to fast twist and heavy bullets yet. Why wait when you can go up by 0.007" and have plenty of proven bullets and loading data?

If you just want to complain about not getting exactly what you want, 270 is perfect. If you just want something close to your idea, it already exists.

Yes I think gun manufacturers will. I really believe that browning will be the first, with their x bolt line that has a new variation coming out every 6-8 months. I have a 6.5 PRC with a 1-7" twist and a 7mm mag in 1-8" twist. If they make a 270 wsm with a 1-8" twist I will order one the day I see it.
I think they will but I doubt you will be able to get the 270 win. in a fast twist maybe 27 nosler or wsm or some new cartridge I hope I am wrong but the 270 win does shine with a 150gr. always been my favorite for this round

I am also hoping for more fast twist factory options.

Honestly, I doubt that there will much change in the basic models.

However, for more expensive factory rifles with "long range" stamped in the branding and more $$$ stocks, cerakoting, etc. I think you will see them.

Case in point, Barrett was already offering 1:9 in the Fieldcraft (not initially and I don't recall what model year they changed the 270win's from 1:10 to 1:9):

I would actually expect to see more options in .277 fast twist factory rifles in something like the 270 WSM vs. 270 WIN, though, as well. My 270 supporter friend is building a custom fast twist 270WSM now to shoot the heavier bullets. He is a HUGE 270 win fan but the analysis told him that he'd want to drive the heavys faster than the 270 win was capable of.

Same type of analysis is what drove the 27Nosler and the Fury cartridge.

If Weatherby's 6.5 RPM cartridge does well for them, maybe they will do a 270 RPM (and they'll likely leave the 270 WBY alone).

Holy cow! The 270 Nosler holds 98 grains of water. A 270 Wby holds about 82 grains of water. I am pushing a 170 Berger out of my 28" barrel at 3225fps in my 270 Wby. Wonder what kind of speed the handloaders will get out of the 270 Nosler. Wonder what the barrel life will be...

Yes I think gun manufacturers will. I really believe that browning will be the first, with their x bolt line that has a new variation coming out every 6-8 months. I have a 6.5 PRC with a 1-7" twist and a 7mm mag in 1-8" twist. If they make a 270 wsm with a 1-8" twist I will order one the day I see it.
Interesting theory...I see what you mean about browning though. Them and savage have some "first on the scene" factory offerings. I believe browning has been the first mainstream company chambering rifles in Nosler cartridges, and they have the only factory 300 RUM I'm aware of with a 1:8 or 1:8.5 twist to make possible the use of 245 Berger's and 250 ATIPs with no need for any mods or replacements. Perhaps I'll send them an email

Holy cow! The 270 Nosler holds 98 grains of water. A 270 Wby holds about 82 grains of water. I am pushing a 170 Berger out of my 28" barrel at 3225fps in my 270 Wby. Wonder what kind of speed the handloaders will get out of the 270 Nosler. Wonder what the barrel life will be...
I want one :).
On the other end of the spectrum the 85-110 grain monometals meant for the 6.8 spc should be fun if very impractical. 110 ttsx at 4000 FPS is not entirely out of the question with the Nosler cartridge.

Interesting theory...I see what you mean about browning though. Them and savage have some "first on the scene" factory offerings. I believe browning has been the first mainstream company chambering rifles in Nosler cartridges, and they have the only factory 300 RUM I'm aware of with a 1:8 or 1:8.5 twist to make possible the use of 245 Berger's and 250 ATIPs with no need for any mods or replacements. Perhaps I'll send them an email

In your email please request a 270 wsm Hells canyon LR with a 26" barrel with a 1-7" or 1-8" twist. I will take two!! Thanks

I want one :).
On the other end of the spectrum the 85-110 grain monometals meant for the 6.8 spc should be fun if very impractical. 110 ttsx at 4000 FPS is not entirely out of the question with the Nosler cartridge.

Speaking of light mono's I was looking at a bunch of 90 grain .277 cutting edge Bullets that I bought for my son and couldn't use it in his .277 wolverine. I was thinking of loading it up in my 270 wsm but when I seen possible 3800+ FPS I thought better leave good enough alone. My rifle is 1/4 MOA with 150 grain Berger's. Maybe I can test with my sons 270 wsm lol

Browning also is the only factory rifle that modified their plastic box magazine for the 6.5 PRC having a notch not found on other short magnum magazines allowing up to 3.00" COAL

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts