Do you hunt with MOA or MRAD scope , and why ?

Mil Bc I'm all snipery and an operator and stuff.

Also, it's easy just calling out 1s, 5s, and 10s and only thinking in Mils instead of converting to inches. The only reason I switched is bc all my friends grew up and use Mils so we want to keep the lingo the same.

I can use MOA as well. I will never go back to a SFP scope though. It doesn't make sense to have a reticle you can only use on a specific power.

Mil Bc I'm all snipery and an operator and stuff.

Also, it's easy just calling out 1s, 5s, and 10s and only thinking in Mils instead of converting to inches. The only reason I switched is bc all my friends grew up and use Mils so we want to keep the lingo the same.

I can use MOA as well. I will never go back to a SFP scope though. It doesn't make sense to have a reticle you can only use on a specific power.
How often do you go without a RF to take advantage of a ffp or avoid the one setting on a sfp? Seems we mostly use them now days.

How often do you go without a RF to take advantage of a ffp or avoid the one setting on a sfp? Seems we mostly use them now days.

I never use a a range finder. I don't own one. I just use the reticle. I would never range an animal like that though. Targets are fun and easy, and it doesn't matter if it's a "bad" hit. In Georgia all my shots, my entire life have been within 100 yards.

The most important thing is holdovers. I use hold overs a lot more than dialing. FFP is crucial for that.

With my MOA SFP scopes that I had I always set up deer stands and had key features marked out. Woods were always super thick. That's how I survived on my limited knowledge back then. I would count off to 100 yards. Anything past that I wouldn't shoot. I used a marlin 35 rem, custom AR15, and rem 700 ADL .30-06. Decent 2-$300 nikons on all of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never got caught up in which system to use. There have been many career shooters, typically gunnys, that have reiterated to me "it does not matter which system you use, as long as you are proficient with it."
For me having grown up with imperial units it is easier for me to calculate MOA. The trouble with MOA is that there are a few manufacturers out there that advertise an MOA system, but they are calibrated for 1/4" click value. At closet ranges this is negligible. As the distance grows though, the amount your shot placement is off increases.

I'm sure that if I took the time to learn the MRAD system, it wouldn't be much trouble to switch. I do believe there is a greater element of exactness, from what I hear and read. I don't know by any personal experience though.
At 1000 yards the MOA vs 1/4" difference amounts to less than 1/2 an inch. There is twice the error between mills VS MOA at 1000 than between MOA VS 1/4".

I never got caught up in which system to use. There have been many career shooters, typically gunnys, that have reiterated to me "it does not matter which system you use, as long as you are proficient with it."
For me having grown up with imperial units it is easier for me to calculate MOA. The trouble with MOA is that there are a few manufacturers out there that advertise an MOA system, but they are calibrated for 1/4" click value. At closet ranges this is negligible. As the distance grows though, the amount your shot placement is off increases.

I'm sure that if I took the time to learn the MRAD system, it wouldn't be much trouble to switch. I do believe there is a greater element of exactness, from what I hear and read. I don't know by any personal experience though.
Actually, moa 1/4 click is a finer adjustment than a 1/10 mil. 1/4 MOA is .2625 @ 100 yards. 1/10 MIL is .360 @ 100 yards. Just shoot what you're comfortable with. Personally, I prefer MOA in a FFP scope for hunting.

At 1000 yards the MOA vs 1/4" difference amounts to less than 1/2 an inch. There is twice the error between mills VS MOA at 1000 than between MOA VS 1/4".
At 1000 yards the maximum difference in resolution between 1/10 MIL and 1/4 MOA(typical click values). amount to a maximum of about 1 inch. IMO, for all but the most stringent bench-rest applications, this difference is absorbed by numerous other factors, and essentially irrelevant to the LR hunter. Scopes with half these click values are available for MIL and MOA scopes if this degree of accuracy is deemed critical.

At 1000 yards the maximum difference in resolution between 1/10 MIL and 1/4 MOA(typical click values). amount to a maximum of about 1 inch. IMO, for all but the most stringent bench-rest applications, this difference is absorbed by numerous other factors, and essentially irrelevant to the LR hunter. Scopes with half these click values are available for MIL and MOA scopes if this degree of accuracy is deemed critical.

Well said!! You cant hold the difference well enough between MOA and MIL to notice.

I grew up on MOA, my shooting buddies use MOA. MOA works for me so I stick with it. We call our shots based on our MOA reticles so there's no conversion from inches to minutes though the exact same thing can be done with a MIL reticle.

I use both MOA and MRAD.

One example of my MRAD scopes is the Bushnell Elite Tactical G2DMR FFP Reticle 6-24x50mm, it offers 0.1 Mill clicks which equate to 10mm or 1cm at 100 metres and 100mm or 10cm at 1000 metres, and the same can be used to range targets, a 100mm target will appear 1MIL on the reticle at 100 metres, or hight of target in cm divided by image size mils times by 10 equals distance in metres, it's easy if you have grown up with the metric system.
The First Focal Plane allows you to make use of the reticle at any magnification level and it offers a wide field of view helpful for fast acquisition of targets

One example of a MOA scope I use is a Nightforce Competition 15-55x50mm FCR Reticle SFP, it offers 1/8" clicks at 100 yards equates to .125" at 100 yards and 1.25" at 1000yards verry fine adjustments.
The Second Focal Plane Reticle it only true at 40 power magnification, and is much harder to range targets with, but usefull for holdover but don't be caught out trying that at a different magnification.
Ranging requires the target size in inches divided by the image size of target MOA times by 95.5 equals range in yards, much harder to do in your head.

Ranging targets isn't verry practical for hunting anyway so its irrelevant, but gives you an idea and can be fun for ringing steel, any system will work just fine if you have dope for your rifle and you can call wind in either.
Have you been hitting much using a MRAD scope with that math
Just wondered what your preference is, and if so, why. Is there any reason one cannot use a MRAD scope to hunt with, especially at medium to long range (400-1,000 yds.) I'm thinking of trying a MRAD scope on my 7mm for hunting, but I have not any real experience with MRAD scopes. I like and prefer some of the reticles that MRAD scopes offer, along with a FFP. I know the MRAD is adjusted in 10ths of an inch, so the math is easy. I just wondered what anyones' experience has been using this type of scope, and if it made any difference that was positive/negative in any way. Thanks for input.
You will want to read up on Millirands...they are not 10's of an INCH...Nor as so many comments here do they have anything to do with the metric system....I am amazed by the confusion caused by this...MRAD...is a unit of angular measurement....think of it as very closely equal to .36 inches to 1/10 increments so 3.6 INCHES at 100yards.... 36" INCHES at 1000...ITS NOT METRIC

Use whatever you want. Just make sure that your reticle and your adjustments are in the same angular measurement. I.e. mil/mil or moa/moa. I personally use mils because the values are, just like everything else metric, based on 10s and the numbers are 3.6x smaller. I.e. 10 mils is 36 MOA. Wind holds are also usually pretty close to 0.1 mil/mph at 500 yards for most cartridges and so the math for wind holds is mentally faster to compute. All that adds up to something that's easier for my brain to utilize.

Here you go. From the other MOA/MIL thread. Pretty simple.

https://www.longrangeshooting.org/articles/moa-and-mils-explained

"A mil is so large that it's usually broken into tenths in order to make precise adjustments.

So 1 mil equals 1 yard at 1,000 yards, and 1 meter at 1,000 meters. It doesn't matter if you use metric or U.S. Scale, and that's its beauty.

Milliradian scopes are often adjustable by 1/10th (0.1) mil increments. At 100 yards, a 0.1 mil click is 0.36 inch, and a full mil is 3.6 inches (Practically speaking, 1⁄10 of a mil equals 1 centimeter at 100 meters)."

Recent Posts