How do you find a place to hunt?

Tuler

I've been hunting for around 30 years (since I was about 10) and have always relied on word of mouth to find my hunting spots. A few times we've gone to local fish and game offices to get lists of private hunting lands and maps of public hunting lands when we've had special tags to fill.

How do most of you find locations to hunt?

First I decide what I want to hunt. Next I find a state that has what is important to me. Trophy, how often I can get a tag, success rate, public land etc. example I pick Wyoming general area G and R. G has trophy potential, public land, lower success than Region R and I can draw a tag every 6 years. Region R deer do not get to trophy size, success rate is better than G, plenty of public land, and I can draw a tag almost every year or two. Let's say that I choose region R because going more often is more important than trophy. I call the game warden a few times, call the biologist, get road access maps, look at google earth, search forums. I will go to a new hunt area at least 4-7 days before a hunt first trip or fifth trip. The more you go the better you will do. I usually hunt the same area just different spots, you should always have a plan A B C and D

I look for a deer and how many parking spots there are....if there too many parking areas.......i find a different spot.......
Or...
When i know theres been people in the area i grab my rifle and walk into the trees.....found many of mulies in the trees.....and usually fairly close range......
Blacktail on the coast of Oregon.....guess.........

First I decide what I want to hunt. Next I find a state that has what is important to me. Trophy, how often I can get a tag, success rate, public land etc. example I pick Wyoming general area G and R. G has trophy potential, public land, lower success than Region R and I can draw a tag every 6 years. Region R deer do not get to trophy size, success rate is better than G, plenty of public land, and I can draw a tag almost every year or two. Let's say that I choose region R because going more often is more important than trophy. I call the game warden a few times, call the biologist, get road access maps, look at google earth, search forums. I will go to a new hunt area at least 4-7 days before a hunt first trip or fifth trip. The more you go the better you will do. I usually hunt the same area just different spots, you should always have a plan A B C and D

I agree with methodologies like this one.

There are a number of good research tools out there that help. Mapping software shows you public/private land, game units, public-access roads, and more (I use Gaia, many use OnX, GoogleEarth is useful). Fish & Game websites have a wealth of data (draw odds, harvest success, harvest quality...), but you'll need to spend some time figuring out how to interpret it. I occasionally pick up tips from forums, but usually only after I have zeroed in on a plan and the tips help me refine things around the edges.

morning, how much is ur budget? the more monies the better
the hunting and all the above!! in tx. start at $1500 to how much
is ur budget???!!! one week $35,000 to how much is ur budget??
it is not where or what? its the monies!! justme gbot tum

Check your state for special draw hunts, even eastern and midwest states. Often overlooked source of hunting areas. Check forums for that state and see what people are posting. My buddy and I lost a farm in Ohio last year when the farmer retired and moved to TX. I posted on Ohio forum looking but leases are $30-40 an acre and now have guy who will let us hunt his area. I will check it out on the way to MO in April or May. I drew for a special hunt in VA last year and killed a really nice 12 pt. We are hoping for a draw (36% chance first year) in a Wildlife refuge in MO this year that has some booners running around. You can download the draw stats and kill stats for bucks vs does etc and narrow your choices down.

i took a pretty extreme approach that most folks probably dont do. i got tired of driving 2 hours to hunt at my grandpas and uncles land (and now my grandparents have passed) in eastern NC. so i went out and bought 10 acres of land 45 minutes from my house about 2 years ago. so i now i have a nice 100 yard range to shoot on whenever i want, a huge creek to fish and camp next to and place to hunt whatever is in season whenever i want.

Here it is a two part process. Game Management Land is open to all so scouting before the season is a must. I always look for smaller tracts as most hunters do not. The second way is to seek out land owners and ASK politely. Or, you can pay out big bucks to join a club.

I use the second way first. Being polite does go a long way to getting access. But any way you go about it, do a lot of scouting to see just how many animals are in your hunting area.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.