Do you hunt with MOA or MRAD scope , and why ?

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by H82MISS, Dec 8, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Starlite

Starlite Well-Known Member

After checking my ballistic app and range book. it looks like 1463Meters prone position at a 48” plate. Shooting 143gr ELD-X out of my Bergara B-14 HMR 6.5 CM 26” Barrel and the 6.5-20X52 Sig scope. Spartan 6-9” bipod.
    kestral and my Garmin 701 and the rangefinder was my Sig 3000 binoculars.
    once I confirmed the BC at 125M via my LabRadar I went too 748M. Steel 14” plate. Dead centre. Confirmed second. Dead centre. Moved out to steel @ what I had previously ranged the tree line at 1480. As it turned out it was 1463m once set up. I hit the target on second shot likely due to wind. And me I’m sure. Second shot was 12-3/4” off POA. Third shot was 16” off POA. Forth shot was 15-3/4 off POA. Fifth was me (pulled) and was 26” off POA. Ended up with ~10” group. (4 shot). I was happy with that as that’s exactly what my rifle shoots at 100M. Around 5/8”. MOA on a good day. This also proved y I don’t hunt out to that range. 1st shoot could have wounded the animal.
    This might be a good time to mention that the SIG Sauer BDX has what they call kinethics. If the ranged target is outside the (user set) energy settings the Illuminated dot will flash letting you know you don’t have enough energy for an *Rule 1 Violation*al kill. I really like that and do respect it’s warning.

2. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

Hey Starlite, Another issue is they are not allowed for hunting in some states in the USA.

3. Starlite

I’ve read that somewhere. As far as I know there totally legal in all provinces and territories in Canada. Are you allowed to use the app and rangefinder with a Garmin 701 or kestrel and just not allowing the scope? If so at least you get to use all the data it provides which is the most important thing.

4. xsn10s

xsn10s Well-Known Member

Illuminated reticle are not allowed for hunting is some states

5. xsn10s

xsn10s Well-Known Member

Glad you like the system. It's still not for me.

6. Starlite

Wow. What’s the theory behind that.
    In my province you can’t hunt with a caliber larger then .224 pill once you tag out on your deer. Apparently this law is being changed as there is no evidence that hunting with a larger caliber will stop poaching

7. Starlite

Neither is lobster!! But I love it lol.
    I love my Nikon on my 223 for Varmint hunting. It’s the Coyotes special. Zeroed to 200. Take the same POA from 50-300M. Some impact little low. Some little high. Most cartwheel with the 68gr pill.

8. xsn10s

xsn10s Well-Known Member

9. Starlite

Wow. Not being able to use a rangefinder. That’s crazy. Even bow hunting? Looks like illuminated reticle is allowed according to that link.

10. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

Starlite, welcome to the forum. I am not a moderator or anything, but it would be best if you opened your own thread for your topic under the "Long Range Scopes and other Optics" forum. You will probably garner overwhelming response there.
    This thread is more about bashing each other with nonsensical information so we can defend our choice of ranging reticle we use in our scopes. Most of us would like to get back to that I'm sure.
    Here's the link:
    https://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/long-range-scopes-and-other-optics.18/

Hand Skills, xsn10s and RockyMtnMT like this.
  11. Starlite

Thank you for the link. I wasn’t trying to hijack anyone’s thread. For the most part I was simply responding to questions. The thread had likely lost interest to most.......based on others commentary. I guess the new guys aren't afforded the same latitude. Thanks for the welcome though. I’ll heed your warnings before the moderator police get involved.

M Jager likes this.
  12. Kyle Backenstoes

Kyle Backenstoes Member

I prefer MIL/MIL... i grew up on MOA scopes, but started long range and dialing with
    MIL. Just seemed to make more sense to me at the time.

H82MISS likes this.
  13. motrapper

motrapper Well-Known Member

Like Both use Both

H82MISS likes this.