Do we overvalue sentimental value of our guns?

Our love of firearms is usually pretty deep. At least in my case it is. I bought a lot of tired, worn guns and learned to gunsmith on them. They were all fixed up and now have value. This past summer while rearranging my shop the wife started asking about the stuff and figured I have 5 figures in reloading crap alone. Kind of shocked me because it sorta creeped up on me. Years of buying adds up! I have had to sell a gun that belonged to my dad when I was young and needed kids Christmas money. I regret that still some 30 years on. But as another poster said...if my kids sell something I hope they get what they want out of it. My hope is that I'm coherent enough to divy the stuff up prior to my demise. I'd hate to leave my family burdened with my stuff or get ripped off by a local jerk buyer.

A lot of private sellers have told me their stories around a gun, thinking that it will create empathy for the sale and a higher price, or they think it is worth more because of the story. I don't buy on people's memories about an object. Secondly, auctions create a whole different overpricing situation especially when a few people in a room want the same gun for their personal collections. I've also found some screaming deals there.

Yea I know the feelings. I have pieces from all the way back to 1810 of my family, fouling piece that was converted from Flint to percussion, Tower musket with bayonett and burnside that my Great Great Grandfather carried in the Civil War, Winchesters my Great Grandfather had (including the 71 he used in Maine), my fathers guns and mine.

My son did care but his wife does not so that answers that.

Just hurts at times thinking about it. :-(

He can find a wife anywhere but those guns he will never be able to replace ;-)

I'm at that age that these posts are relative to my place in life. I have several nice rifles and handguns. 1 son and 2 daughters. My sons in laws both are hunters and appreciate firearms. Therefore, to be equitable to all involved I am making disbursements through a trust that I have had for almost 30 yrs. To my son who has enjoyed growing up using and remembering the good times we've had hunting, target practice, varminting and other fond memories of our times together with these firearms, I leave most of those that are part of those memories. The remaining firearms I will distribute to my sons in law and grandkids. I want no squabbling over firearms that I leave behind. Just my personal views and concerns of maintaining peace in disposition of valuable firearms.

First I want to thank FigJam for this great thread it has been a very interesting one for sure, and I want to say I'm sorry to WindSurgeon for my poor attempt at humor for such a sad post on his very great family pieces. I was only trying to put a smile on a very sad story.
After rereading my own first post I see I made a slip up typing about my age, I,m closer to 80 than 70. I am long past being able to hunt due to health but still shoot a little so I do need to seriously get things took care of. I see now after reading some post I need to do more than I have so that so there will be no problem.
I have already gotten rid of quiet a bit except for a few things that belonged to my Dad and others. I just enjoy knowing I can look over and see them and instantly go back to a special time with them. I am sure many of you do the same thing.
While following this I got to thinking how wonderful it would be if we were able to share a campfire or a weekend together with some of you that have posted here or maybe some where else. Just to be able to see the guns that are so dear to each of us and share the stories behind them with each other. Some of you have briefly shared some great stories about your family guns and it just makes me want to hear more and see the family pieces. I know this is impossible for me but maybe for some of you not, I encourage those of you that can get together to do it.
One other thing, my heart bleeds for Oxobrianne272 I do feel the pain. I truly think we will have a serious battle to keep something like this or very close to it in this country. While I'm wishing I wish Oxobrianne272 could be along to share the stories with us.

I have always pictured some of the guns I own being passed down to my kids and my grandkids and their kids etc. family heirlooms you know? Recently I had two experiences that shook me to my core - two elderly gentleman that I knew from church and had great gun collections passed away. One about 6 months ago and one just last week. Wife and kids put all of their guns up for sell at liquidation prices. It was my understanding that both men had life insurance and had their homes paid off etc - I don't think they needed the cash, they would just rather have cash than dad and grandpas guns. Made me sick to my stomach and really got me thinking if we over value the sentimental value of our guns? What do you all think?

I have always felt as you do about my guns for a couple reasons. They represent many things to me, my passion, who I am and was but also America and our rights. It's probably true that when you are dead you dont care what happens here. However that doesn't mean you shouldn't have a say in what happens to your stuff right now.

I had an experience just like yours but a bit closer to home. I gave one of my sons a pristine Colt Gold Cup out of love. Two weeks later I discovered he'd sold it within days. He bought a glock and something pink for his wife. It wasn't that he sold the gun. It was his complete indifference to my feelings about it when we spoke that helped me see the light.
That's when I changed my will. I don't care if whoever gets my guns sells them. I do care that the value remains in guns or it provides financially for someone with my passion for guns. So I'm leaving it all, every gun, die, tool, lathe, machine and fixture to my old executive assistant George, and screw the family. They can have the money and fight over the "stuff". He may sell guns but it will be to buy more or to support the passion, not to put the latest fad glass tile in the kitchen or go to Disney.
So for me, I don't care that I won't care after I'm dead. I care right now. And I'd rather have a friend remember me every time he holds one of my guns than risk my family associating me with the new curtains in the family room. And yes, they are all really p-ssed at me.

The more I hear from the Liberals in Ottawa the more I believe our our guns will be needed to keep us free. This is not meant as a political post but a true fear for Canadians freedom. What few freedoms we have left.

Read so many stories from keeping a Leger, to giving off to kids and grand kids other will give to friends while we all have sentimental value to that one spacial gun out of the horde The greatest memories we create are ones when one is alive stories you tell, experiences you shared would stay long after your demise

Mine are all bequeathed in my Last Will and Testament. All going to relaitives and friends who will use and appreciate them and I have a few very collectable long guns and handguns. MY family all hunts and so do my friends. I align myself with those that share my passion.

The more I hear from the Liberals in Ottawa the more I believe our our guns will be needed to keep us free. This is not meant as a political post but a true fear for Canadians freedom. What few freedoms we have left.

...and not to perpetuate any political view but you need to send Tredeau packing.

My grandfather gave me his Winchester 270, and his shotgun right before he passed away and about a year later both were stolen. This was a very long time ago but it still hurts to lose them.

Back more on the subject I am not sure we put to much sentimental value on our guns. How ever I believe most of us here remember how important guns are in the big picture of our history. To you Guys in the U.S. that is even more a part of your history and constitutional rights. The fact will always be there that us men want to see our children follow in some of our foot steps too.

My main worry in Britain is that the police will confiscate and destroy my legally held firearms on my death. This did happen to an historically important Webley pistol I had when the British government banned legally held pistols in 1997. (22 years later and gun crime involving pistols is at an all time high!!).
My most important rifle is my complete Lee Enfield No.4T Sniper outfit - boxed, all matching numbers etc. currently worth £4,500 - £5,500.
there are many collectors in the U.K. that would snap it up.
To prevent misuse of authority by the police and to ensure my heirs receive the market price for my firearms one of my clubs has a scheme run by some very high power legal club members that will deal with all firearms issue on behalf of my estate.
What a pity that I need 'protection' from my own civil authorities!!
Take Care and be warned. Keep vigilant.
Why did you people allow this terrible injustice to happen in the first place?