Do we overvalue sentimental value of our guns?

Well my dad is in his eighties not doing well. Most of his guns have been distributed, a few are still in his safe.
My only problem is his Will specifically states I should not get his custom made P64 Mdl 70 264 because "he'll burn the barrel out".
I'm working on my 6 siblings...

Lol - i would be super pumped if one of my kids was willing to shoot my rifle enough to burn out the barrel.

T
Lol - i would be super pumped if one of my kids was willing to shoot my rifle enough to burn out the barrel.
That rifle was a death ray in his hands. I witnessed Dall; Stone; Caribou; Moose; Black bear, mule deer and Elk all fall to that rifle. I wasn't there for the Grizz, but he said that was a dumb thing to do. He killed several with an 06.

This is a good reminder to make sure you go over over these things with your spouse and kids, and then do it again.

I have guns that have been in one or the other of our families for at least 100 years, I would hate for those to get lost to the open market.

Funny enough, my oldest daughter in the profile pic would go straight for the 9MM pistol AR, that is her favorite gun in the safe. I have to make sure she knows (and remembers) the provenance of the others.

My dad gave me Remington rifle when I turned 12. I was so excited and thought it was an amazing gesture from him. Years passed and I was 28 and wanted to built something that would shoot better. I told him I was going to sell it to build something I wanted. He was shocked I would even consider selling it. I told him if it mattered to him I would keep it. He told me he preferred I did.
After that my opinion changed, selling a gifted gun for money is not something I would do. Money comes and goes, but once the gun is sold you'll likely never get it back. I guess I finally have a little sentiment in me

The sentiment is really attached to the people you got it from, or the experiences you had with special friends and family. The weapon is just a reminder of wonderful times. I have a few rifles I really like, but they're things.
Just my .02

My grandpa passed away many years ago and left me a Winchester model 12. I couldn't guess it's actual value but to me it's priceless. My dad has a few guns I will inherit when he passes that will also never be for sale. What my kids do with those guns makes no difference to me. To me they have no value greater than owning them and knowing who had them before me. Most of my guns I hope go to the highest bidder. Lol

This is the exact reason why I built wildcats and named them after each of my kids. I want them to decide the level of value they place on their guns. So interesting how they use and treat a their factory rifle and then how they treat their wildcat. This way when I pass I know my children will see the value and not sell my guns for little or nothing.

Last edited:
I keep a ledger in my safe that contains a written record of all my guns. It shows when I bought it and how much I paid for it. If I sell a gun, that date goes in and how much it sold for. I've told my family and put it in my trust that if you must sell them at least use this ledger as a guide so you get a fair price.
Guns that were passed down to me are noted as such and I put an estimated value for them. For these guns I also write a short history of who passed the gun to me and any interesting facts and stories associated with it. Some of these guns aren't worth much but the memories they hold are priceless so I like to give them a history so they seem a little more valuable.
I'm lucky to have a son who's as gun crazy as I am so I think my collection will be handled properly but you can never take things for granted.

I usually don't know the gentleman whose guns are being sold off because it is being done at a local gun shop or pawn shop that I just happen to be in at the time. But, it saddens me just the same because I know exactly what is happening.

I really don't care what happens to mine when I am dead. I told my wife she can take all my guns to the largest gun shop in the state and they will buy them. She will be surprised how much the ones that were bought new and never were fired will be bring even when selling to a dealer.
Assuming I don't pass away suddenly, my plan is to sell off all but two guns when I can no longer enjoy shooting due to age or health. Keep two guns for self defense for me or my wife. No children to leave to.

None of my family cares much about the guns that I have. I sell a few now and then but mainly I agree that after I am gone they are just property and I hope that the people who buy them will get as much joy as I have out of owning them.

If you want my opinion; my father passed away last year... He had given me his favorite rifle two years before that, and the memories of shooting with him and his rifle are what make it priceless. I know it must have been tough to give me the one that mattered the most to him, but it makes it the one that matters the most to me now.

My older brother had quite a few guns in his collection. Came home one day and found him deceased in the garage from a self inflicted gunshot wound. He,myself and a younger brother shared an apartment in the cities where we stayed for work. After everything was said and done, I come into my room and found about half his guns leaned up against the corner. And a CZ .416 Rigby, my favorite of his firearms, laying on my bed. And the other half of the firearms were on the other brothers room, with one rifle laying on the bed. But we weren't selfish in keeping all the firearms to ourselfs, we kept the individual firearms which we thought he left for us, we have one more brother, we had him pick out a firearm. Then we let our, at the time young sons and nephews, pick out a firearm- youngest to oldest. What was left, we sold to pay for funeral costs.
Long story short, even though I had great memories of/with my brother, I ended up selling the .416 Rigby. Every time I would open the safe, it was a reminder of his passing and how he almost destroyed my mom with his act of taking his own life. It was too painful a reminder. Do I regret selling it, sometimes.

Recent Posts