Digital scale help

Thanks for all the input guys, I ended up scoring a new Ohaus NV212 portable so I can take to the range for load development.

I agree with most everything I've read on thread, previously I have exclusively shot the 300 WM with 210 Berger VLDs on the conventional NRA target and have had great success measuring to the .1 grain. However, recently I started F-class type shooting to further hone my wind reading skills with the 6mm BR.

To my amazement, this cartridge is incredibly sensitive to charge weight....IE .1 grain makes the difference between a mediocre load and a great load. Thru lots of load development and shooting both horizontal and vertical ladders at distance, it was obvious my barrel prefers 30.7 gr of N150 seated exactly .008 off the lands.

My goal is to weigh charges with a standard deviation of 30.70 to 30.74 as acceptable for loading.

Also....noted my RCBS chargemaster even though was reading 1 to 1.5 grains high.......would drop all my charges at 37.65 to 30.70......big kudos to RCBS!!!

I simply set my current set up to 30.8 and they always drop at 37.65 to 37.00 on my Ohaus...trickle up and Im ready to roll, very quick and efficient to load 100 rd lots of super accurate ammo and weigh final charge on my Ohaus keeping everything 37.0 to 37.04. I got SD 0f 4.2 fps and ES of 11 over 20 shots with N150 and 105 berger VLD.

That was with rl 26
It is more with extruded power.

And you chargemaster will trough low on any set weight. Reason is the weights you cal them with, are not 50g. The have Cary over in the tents and hundreds, you add it up and you are off on your calls and the scale can not see it...

Good luck

Thanks for all the input guys, I ended up scoring a new Ohaus NV212 portable so I can take to the range for load development.

Great pick on the scale. I just ordered a JDS quick measure so hopefully plan will work to speed up the production on precise stick powder weighing step using my precision digi scale to finish it off. If it goes right i'll be happy. If not i'll have a 300 dollar thrower I dont need!

So loaded 50 rounds today, used the rcbs charge master, verified on the sartourius, findings.
Got 55.0 on cargemaster on all 50, it varied to to 3 curnes of power from the hid to low side of a tenth. So facts for you.
Where did you go to school,,,, you cant even spell correctly how do ever expect to load correctly ???? LOL

And the difference between 30.70 and 30.68 and then again 30.72...doesnt mean a hill of horse crap!
Buy the RCBS tool that is the scale and powder measure and enjoy it. Keep it plugged into 120VC all the time and siting somewhere air currents cant blow across it.

I agree that 0.02 grains will make.little difference in the average loaders accuracy

But lets say our allowable tolerance with our digital scale will be +/- 0.02. That gives us pretty much 0.05 grains accuracy.

Now we take a beam scale or digital that reads to the 0.10 and the best we can hope.for is +/- 0.10

So will a 0.20 swing affect your accuracy?

I know it does mine.

Whatever works for you.

i agree that 0.02 grains will make.little difference in the average loaders accuracy

but lets say our allowable tolerance with our digital scale will be +/- 0.02. That gives us pretty much 0.05 grains accuracy.

Now we take a beam scale or digital that reads to the 0.10 and the best we can hope.for is +/- 0.10

so will a 0.20 swing affect your accuracy?

I know it does mine.

Whatever works for you.
Sure ! Uh huh !

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.