help pick digital powder scale

Bigeclipse

I currently have a rcbs balance beam scale...older from the 90s. It seems to work and I have checkedot with known weights and seams to be accurate but im looking to possibly buy a digital scale. I dont want to break the bank though. 50 is about all id want to spend...if there are not accurate digit scales for this amount then I will just stick with my balance beam. Thanks!

Nope, really is a decent scale out there for that kind of money. You might have to cry a little and get an RCBS 750 or 1500 scale or similar. They run about anywhere from $100-$150. If you want a scale that's produces a high resolution, look at a My Weigh GemPro 250. This scale has grain resolution to the 2/100th of a grain. This scale can be had for around $140.

I've been really pleased with with the rcbs chargemaster pro 1500 . Others have said that digital scales, the 1500 as well, are prone to drift, but so far... I've gotten consistent loads out of mine. I am using the modified mcdonalds straw method and have sped up my settings so it only takes about half the time to drop a charge, but I do get some overcharges occasionally when using h4895... But only a few and compared with the time I'm saving, I don't mind one bit. My first charge with Varget is always overcharged... But then it's flawless after I dump that one back in. I won't go back to a balance scale, unless it is only to verify weight of my electronic.

Nope, really is a decent scale out there for that kind of money. You might have to cry a little and get an RCBS 750 or 1500 scale or similar. They run about anywhere from $100-$150. If you want a scale that's produces a high resolution, look at a My Weigh GemPro 250. This scale has grain resolution to the 2/100th of a grain. This scale can be had for around $140.

yeah for that much id rather wait until I can save for one of those scales that has an autofeeding/charging mechanism built in for like $300.

I often wonder how accurate my RCBS beam scale really is...

I use the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 as well. As long as you caibrate it before ever use, you're golden. Other than that, it can get a little off. Trust me, I found that out the hard way, and it could have been alot worse than it was.

I use the Lyman DPS 1200 III and have checked it against other digital and balance scales it is very accurate. If you do save up and get one like this just be very aware of air flow in the room (fans & air conditioner vents). It will without a doubt cause them to go crazy. The Lyman will just tell you to recalibrate when this happens.

I tried a couple digital scales when they were on sale and the deals seemed good. My experience was frustrating. After warming up an zeroing according to directions, I started loading a batch, only to find that the scale drifted off zero after anywhere from 6 to 15 loads. I had this happen with two different brands. I do know some folks who have and are happy with the RCBS chargemaster combo, and do not seem to have a "drift" issue. For my needs, I just don't see the benefit. When I am in the groove, I average one weighed charge every 25 seconds with my RCBS 505 and trickler. I haven't put the stopwatch to my buddy's rig, but I don't think it can be a whole lot faster, and certainly not a couple hundred dollars faster... I check the calibration of my balance each time I start a batch, and it is always the same. If it ain't broke....

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.