Digital scale help

Only one reason i would want my beam back,,, thats only if batteries become un available ! I Have calibrated my little cheapo digital scale a dozen times and its always been dead nuts on. And its one third the cost of my old beams ! And it takes up 1/4 the area as my beam....

I can measure 4 powder charges or bullets or cases in the same time my beam could weigh one and more accurately at that !

And if i want i can throw it in my shirt pocket and bring it to the gun range.

Nothing to break down or set up and adjust,,, just flip the cover open turn it on and go....

And it has an auto off if not in use or if i forget,,, to save its two AAAs

Beams are for old men that dont like change and others that just dont know any better .....

Frankford Arsenal DS-750 Electronic Powder Scale 750 Grain Capacity

I've had several electronic scales fail on me , I'm done with them . My beam scale has never failed and doesn't require batteries.

I'm all for changing it up and trying new things, but I guess at 34 yrs old I'm too long in the tooth to use electronic scales. Many people have been very successful with electronics , I'm not one of them .

Come to think of it, the only gear of mine that has ever failed is electronic, scales, rangefinders, wind meters ect.

I've had several electronic scales fail on me , I'm done with them . My beam scale has never failed and doesn't require batteries.

I'm all for changing it up and trying new things, but I guess at 34 yrs old I'm too long in the tooth to use electronic scales. Many people have been very successful with electronics , I'm not one of them .

Come to think of it, the only gear of mine that has ever failed is electronic, scales, rangefinders, wind meters ect.

Thats strange ! Mine is three years old,,,has been dropped on the floor a couple times,,, takes a licking and keeps on ticking ...

By all means, keep using it if you are satisfied with the results. I'm not trying to tell anyone they're wrong or what to do, just sharing my experience and results.

By all means, keep using it if you are satisfied with the results. I'm not trying to tell anyone they're wrong or what to do, just sharing my experience and results.

You could be one of those people that kill electronic watches and such I have heard of them,,, back in the day they had to wear only mechanical wrist watches,,,, something to do with there bodies magnetism...

What's the source of the drift over use that you guys are talking about? Short term or long term? Are you guys not performing the calibration on each startup?

I've enjoyed my chargemaster to the point that I'm thinking of getting a second (even after reprogramming it) just to knock out a lot of 'match' ammo pretty quickly.

I have a Gempro 250 and it's the best scale I've ever used. It's much more accurate than a beam scale as I can make sure every load weighs exactly the same to .002 grains.
I'm not sure what kind of drift others are seeing but I'm not having that issue with mine at all.

I have a Gempro 250 and it's the best scale I've ever used. It's much more accurate than a beam scale as I can make sure every load weighs exactly the same to .002 grains.
I'm not sure what kind of drift others are seeing but I'm not having that issue with mine at all.

How do you achieve .002 grain accuracy when 1 kernel of powder weighs much more than that ? I'm clearly getting an education today

What's the source of the drift over use that you guys are talking about? Short term or long term? Are you guys not performing the calibration on each startup?

I've enjoyed my chargemaster to the point that I'm thinking of getting a second (even after reprogramming it) just to knock out a lot of 'match' ammo pretty quickly.

My chargemaster shows no drift but only weighs to the tenth need to get in the hundreds to really notice the drift. Thats where a person notices how far off you can be with a chargemater or beam scale +or- a tenth is more flakes of powder than you think let alone a hundredth

My chargemaster shows no drift but only weighs to the tenth need to get in the hundreds to really notice the drift. Thats where a person notices how far off you can be with a chargemater or beam scale +or- a tenth is more flakes of powder than you think let alone a hundredth

Oh, I didn't even know that some of them go finer than 1/10th of a grain. I probably have enough variation in other aspects of my reloading that I wouldn't notice that, but it is good to be aware of; thanks.

Looking for a scale for a lot more precision loading
The gempro 250 would fit bill possibly but a lot of people complain of drift in the scale
Tree offers one to .001 any recommended scales???

I use a Tanita 1210 diamond scale. its smaller than the gempro by a tad. gempro is 'made in china' shipped by the container load so its cheap and lots of markup for bulk buyers like midway brownells sinclair jewelry supply wholesalers etc. The Tanita is made by 80yr old Japanese scale company IN Japan. I used to deal in emeralds 10 yrs ago in central america and that scale was tough and accurate used in the field and my office. i still have it and re-load weekly with it. Costs about $180 - just 40 bucks more than the gempro. In the pharma and gem industry Tanita is a well respected and popular scale brand along with others you dont see for sale at Midway. You dont see diamond traders packing a gempro 250. The amethyst, tanzanite and garnet sellers might though!

My 1210 is no longer made but they make the 1210N. Looks the same prob better software. It weighs super fast with no drift. Its capacity is half of what the gempro does so thats probably part of the reason. It can weigh more powder than you can load in a 20-30 cal case. it weighs to .03 grain which is too sensitive for loading. You would be amazed how fast you can load benchrest type charges with this little gadget. i have cross checked it 80 times with my balance scale ( every 5th charge when loading) and its been spot on.

I would still keep a 5-0-5 for peace of mind but you will finally quit looking at it every time you throw loads! keep in mind when I used to pay 5 grand for a stone the size of a baby pea i didnt cross check it on a balance scale even though i was paying about $150 per 1/10th a grain carat equivalent! Neither did the guys I sold to.

Something for you to consider.

So I have read a lot of back and forth about one guy likes a beam scale and another likes a digital. How one guy can drop a digital several times and another has to use a warm up period.

Have any of you weighed 50 shells and remeasured the powder again to verify same measurements? What results have you had?

I have double measured for years on a Lyman and Dillon scale against a beam scale. I have found out of 50 shells less than 10 will remeasure the same. 10 is a great day in fact. I would accept .01gr variance. But .2-.5 gr is way too much for me.
Lately I have ran weight on a beam scale, then the digital. After 50 rounds remeasure all again in similar fashion. If digital scale does not read within .1gr it gets kicked out to a 'bad' group and corrected later. Brass never gets a bullet until powder measures same twice.

Am I going completely overboard?

So I have read a lot of back and forth about one guy likes a beam scale and another likes a digital. How one guy can drop a digital several times and another has to use a warm up period.

Have any of you weighed 50 shells and remeasured the powder again to verify same measurements? What results have you had?

I have double measured for years on a Lyman and Dillon scale against a beam scale. I have found out of 50 shells less than 10 will remeasure the same. 10 is a great day in fact. I would accept .01gr variance. But .2-.5 gr is way too much for me.
Lately I have ran weight on a beam scale, then the digital. After 50 rounds remeasure all again in similar fashion. If digital scale does not read within .1gr it gets kicked out to a 'bad' group and corrected later. Brass never gets a bullet until powder measures same twice.

Am I going completely overboard?

Dont bother with the low grade reloading company branded chinese digital scales. They are all not precise enough constantly. if you want to go digital get a professional scale like I mentioned that has a grain mode. if you get a 'pocket' scale this it is affordable and then the quandary is over. i always have a beam scale for the occasions double check. But the beam scale isnt that accurate unless you use check weights in the range you are weighing. I found them to be off about .1 alot of the time compared to empty zero. Atleast with the decent redding/rcbs ones I have owned.

Dont bother with the low grade reloading company branded chinese digital scales. They are all not precise enough constantly. if you want to go digital get a professional scale like I mentioned that has a grain mode. if you get a 'pocket' scale this it is affordable and then the quandary is over. i always have a beam scale for the occasions double check. But the beam scale isnt that accurate unless you use check weights in the range you are weighing. I found them to be off about .1 alot of the time compared to empty zero. Atleast with the decent redding/rcbs ones I have owned.

Cheap chinese dose not always = low grade ! I had a $100.00 RCBS digital that worked NO BETTER than my cheapo digital DS-750,,, in fact i returned the rcbs for a full refund . Are there better digital scales out there, sure,,, but they run about a thousand dollars..... And mine will read the same over and over 1-2-3 days later and will weigh in,,,, grains, grams, ounces,Carats and has a counting function and also gives Tare weight.....and for what $30.00 !!! And i have used an rcbs 5-0-5 and M-1000 beam scales and the DS-750 is superior to them !

Dont knock a product or Brand you have no experience using !!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.