Digital scale help

You dont need to weigh loads more accurate that to a tenth of a grain. That is accepted. What you need to think about is rounding. The more precise a scale then the more digits after the . This means the more accurate to the 10th. A more precise scale will also measure minute grain increments more precisely.

Therefore if you want to load on a digiscale exactly to the tenth of a grain 'guaranteed' then the only real option is to buy a GEM scale engineered to weigh precious gems and gold.

The gempro 250 is a decent choice. There are others out there maybe 50 bucks more that will weigh to same accuracy but faster with less drift. But they are not sold by reloading suppliers but by industry suppiers ie jeweler supply. But the gempro 250 works just fine n backed by easy return warranty thru midway sinclair etc incase get shipped a damaged one. There are no lemons with gemscales to speak of.
Hope this helps

This is not a benchrest forum but you think serios benchrest shooters think +or- a tenth of a grain is close enough when they weight sort there brass to that tolerance not saying that you're not shooting excellent groups the way each person wants to do it I just choise to take a step further. Heck you can probably out shoot me. But i try to get rid of the vairiables so I can to allow room for my mess ups
still 100th dont make sheet difference period !

Well boys,

I have all scales from beam to 3 digital.
Last is a sagutous lad scale.

All the scales you talk about very. Beam depends where you head is to see the line, digital scales weight that you cal with very maybe say one 50.6 g nest 50.8 that a tenth off.

My scale has a certified weight 50.00002 g

When you are trying to get single digit es it does matter! If it is not a balanced load yes does not matter, but a ballance load will cut you es down.

So I use a a combo unit to get my weight charge close then put it on my lab scale, say retumbo, I have seen them very 6 sticks of power on the other scale. So facts.

Yes it does matter!

Well boys,

I have all scales from beam to 3 digital.
Last is a sagutous lad scale.

All the scales you talk about very. Beam depends where you head is to see the line, digital scales weight that you cal with very maybe say one 50.6 g nest 50.8 that a tenth off.

My scale has a certified weight 50.00002 g

When you are trying to get single digit es it does matter! If it is not a balanced load yes does not matter, but a balance load will cut you es down.

So I use a a combo unit to get my weight charge close then put it on my lab scale, say retumbo, I have seen them very 6 sticks of power on the other scale. So facts.

Yes it does matter!

If this were true then my test weight would weigh different from one scale to the other and im sorry to inform you it has not. It weighed the same on three different scales..... 771.0 grains.... what does 6 sticks of (power) look like ? or digit es ? 50.6 g nest ? 50.8 can you speak and spell in English ? And six sticks of the largest extruded powder i have (Reloder 22) is not EVEN 1/10 of a grain.....

Last edited:
If this were true then my test weight would weigh different from one scale to the other and im sorry to inform you it has not. It weighed the same on three different scales..... 771.0 grains.... what does 6 sticks of (power) look like ? or digit es ? 50.6 g nest ? 50.8 can you speak and spell in English ? And six sticks of the largest extruded powder i have (Reloder 22) is not EVEN 1/10 of a grain.....

Your missing the point some are wanting to weigh those 6 sticks of powder. Hence this whole thread. Not arguing about whether its right or wrong. I started the thread looking for a better scale to go into the hundredths and find one that people are using so i can purchase another one with hopefully no or little drift and detect differences less than a tenth.

You seem pretty adamant that weighing less that a tenth is "ridiculous "
I have no idea of your background. Maybe you are a serious competition contender in the benchrest or long range shooting world and know something I or others don't. But think i will trust the advice from a few i know that are and try to alleviate those vairiables beings how I can fornot much more effort than the way i used to do it

Your missing the point some are wanting to weigh those 6 sticks of powder. Hence this whole thread. Not arguing about whether its right or wrong. I started the thread looking for a better scale to go into the hundredths and find one that people are using so i can purchase another one with hopefully no or little drift and detect differences less than a tenth.

You seem pretty adamant that weighing less that a tenth is "ridiculous "
I have no idea of your background. Maybe you are a serious competition contender in the benchrest or long range shooting world and know something I or others don't. But think i will trust the advice from a few i know that are and try to alleviate those vairiables beings how I can fornot much more effort than the way i used to do it

Yotebuster if you are a competition benchrest shooter or maybe will be in the future then go with the gempro,,, if you are not then go with DS-750..... 1 or even 2 tenths will not create a measurable difference on a paper target or anywhere else....

unless you are loading a very small/tiny case with a really hot powder @ a Max load ,,, such as a 17 ackley bee, a 5.7 X 28 or even a 22 hornet.....

Also remember all the negatives with a plug in the wall scale ,,,, they are not portable and loose there calibration with each power outage or power flicker....

As long as your wasting your own money and not mine, i could care less which scale you buy..... Good luck with your new scale.

Last edited:
Did you even read this ????

posted link by: jimbires

OP... I have a chargemaster, stock 505, gempro 250, parker tuned m5, and fx120. Their accuracy and repeatability run in that order. The chargemaster the least, the parker scale and fx 120 running the best.
If I had known I would end up with all those scales, I would have bought the fx120 and not only been done but saved money as well.
If I had to choose one on a budget, it would be the Scott Parker tuned beam hands down because the

((( gempro just drifts too much and slows down everything with constant re-tares and recalibrating.)))

Shut your mouth.. you can 1/4 cut sticks of powder, so 6 of them not cut.. don't be a dick.. spend 1200 for a scale then 300 for a weight. Then shut you mouth for being stupid.

Them meet me and we xan shoot from 100 to a mile and put some money on it.. or are you chicken..

There all on the line.! Mouth

Shut your mouth.. you can 1/4 cut sticks of powder, so 6 of them not cut.. don't be a dick.. spend 1200 for a scale then 300 for a weight. Then shut you mouth for being stupid.

Them meet me and we xan shoot from 100 to a mile and put some money on it.. or are you chicken..

There all on the line.! Mouth
We all need a good laugh from time to time, thank you for that jwing ....
!

I've been wondering about scales as well and have read most of what's on the internet about them....you know what they say about the internet. I have only used the RCBS 5-0-5 and the RCBS chargemaster. Even with mods on the chargemaster, I couldn't get the loads to be as consistent as with the beam. However, using either didn't really change my ES values but I can reload faster with the electronic. I found a video of David Tubb on youtube doing some reloading instruction and in the video he said that small variances in powder didn't matter for the Palma shooting they were doing. I think it was 600 meters but don't recall. Regardless, I'm still trying to find a way of bringing my ES down and another scale may help.

Thanks, sick of people with no clue.

Well the close you are the less you see it. The standard I know is 25 fps per shot at 1000 yard is 10 inches no environment or human fact, why single digest are so important.

Well you have full work case and weighting helps.
Then try different powders, try different primers, seating depths, I will say the heavyweight bullet in cal will help yiur es I have found.

Like I said the other post, I use a rcbs scale to it does do good to its limits, I use Ming to trough charges and then put it on the lab scale, most of the time it is close 1 to 2 curnals. But have seen 6 on retumbo, I see a lot more on say benchmark powder, ball powder ever more. If you don't have a crono, it will be hard less you shoot at distance say 500 y

Well good luck,

So loaded 50 rounds today, used the rcbs charge master, verified on the sartourius, findings.
Got 55.0 on cargemaster on all 50, it varied to to 3 curnes of power from the hid to low side of a tenth. So facts for you.

So loaded 50 rounds today, used the rcbs charge master, verified on the sartourius, findings.
Got 55.0 on cargemaster on all 50, it varied to to 3 curnes of power from the hid to low side of a tenth. So facts for you.
In most extruded powders 6-8 Kernels will make 1/10 grain

Except extreme fine cut powders such LT-30 and LT-32 etc....

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.