Digital scale help

'cheapo chinese" = how long will it work and will the other one in the box next to the one you bought work the same?

I use a starett digi micrometer - expensive chinese.

I use a Frankford Arsenal cheap chinese micrometer for measuring groups n keep in range bag. Other day I accidentally sprayed break free on it and it died. So I bought another identical one BUT this one would had sticky spot on opening and the battery compartment door wouldnt stay closed.

Thats what I mean!

Anyhow all i was saying was if you want to go digi scale buy a gem grade one made with good quality control and components and not a generic one with diff color plastic for diff color reloading manufacturers.

I am only talking about an extra 100 bucks not 1000! Cheap insurance when dealing with gunpowder!

'cheapo chinese" = how long will it work and will the other one in the box next to the one you bought work the same?

I use a starett digi micrometer - expensive chinese.

I use a Frankford Arsenal cheap chinese micrometer for measuring groups n keep in range bag. Other day I accidentally sprayed break free on it and it died. So I bought another identical one BUT this one would had sticky spot on opening and the battery compartment door wouldnt stay closed.

Thats what I mean!

Anyhow all i was saying was if you want to go digi scale buy a gem grade one made with good quality control and components and not a generic one with diff color plastic for diff color reloading manufacturers.

I am only talking about an extra 100 bucks not 1000! Cheap insurance when dealing with gunpowder!

Well then wouldnt that $1000 scale provide you with even BETTER INSURANCE when dealing with gunpowder ! You better trade up son ! And we all know insurance companies are just scammers to relieve you of your money....

And who gives a crap about color !!!

Its Like this,,,,, Why pay for a golden shithouse when a brick shithouse works just as well !

And i will have an extra 100 bucks to buy more powder bullets and beans......

Well on this one Tesoro we will have to agree to disagee !

No a $1000+ plus digiscale wont weigh powder any 'better' than a good 200 dollar gemscale. It just has many more functions and features primarily for use in laboratories along with interfaces to computer etc. Plus they are usually enclosed/sealed to aid in control purposes or when weighing toxic substances. Thus the extra costs - none which relate to our purposes for using them.

So you have in the digiscale world:

1) Low cost $75-$150: 'powder scales' not too precise but fine for weighing non-precision loads

2) med cost:$150-$250: 'gem scales' precise and used for weighing very valuable small things and precision loads

3) High cost: $1000++: 'laboratory scales' which have features not necessary for reloading

Hope this helps in your understanding of the various grades of digital scales. Either 1 or 2 above do the job. #2 does the job faster if you are reloading for precision because you dont have to double weigh each load.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/images/smilies/light-bulb.gif

No a $1000+ plus digiscale wont weigh powder any 'better' than a good 200 dollar gemscale. It just has many more functions and features primarily for use in laboratories along with interfaces to computer etc. Plus they are usually enclosed/sealed to aid in control purposes or when weighing toxic substances. Thus the extra costs - none which relate to our purposes for using them.

So you have in the digiscale world:

1) Low cost $75-$150: 'powder scales' not too precise but fine for weighing non-precision loads

2) med cost:$150-$250: 'gem scales' precise and used for weighing very valuable small things and precision loads

3) High cost: $1000++: 'laboratory scales' which have features not necessary for reloading

Hope this helps in your understanding of the various grades of digital scales. Either 1 or 2 above do the job. #2 does the job faster if you are reloading for precision because you dont have to double weigh each load.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/images/smilies/light-bulb.gif
Just a lot BS and a Waste of money....And i will have an extra 100 bucks to buy more powder bullets and beans...... Just a lot of bad info from someone that has never used the product....

Ok.......got a headache after reading this thread from beginning, I'm actually more confused now, gonna list below what I'm looking for a someone out that knows from experience please chime in and put me on the right path.

Looking for a digital scale that I can weigh exactly 30.7 grains of powder down to 2 digits, not 30.65 or 30.75 but 30.7 each time day in and day out.

Any help is appreciated, and I'd prefer to stay in the medium class of scales if possible.

Ok.......got a headache after reading this thread from beginning, I'm actually more confused now, gonna list below what I'm looking for a someone out that knows from experience please chime in and put me on the right path.

Looking for a digital scale that I can weigh exactly 30.7 grains of powder down to 2 digits, not 30.65 or 30.75 but 30.7 each time day in and day out.

Any help is appreciated, and I'd prefer to stay in the medium class of scales if possible.

Any of the scales will weigh to the tenth 30.7 like your looking for
30.07 you need to be in the hundreths which a Rcbs scale will not like my chargemaster or a beam scale if that answers it?

So you want to purchase a scale between $150.00 to $250.00 dollars correct?

And the difference between 30.70 and 30.68 and then again 30.72...doesnt mean a hill of horse crap!
Buy the RCBS tool that is the scale and powder measure and enjoy it. Keep it plugged into 120VC all the time and siting somewhere air currents cant blow across it.

And the difference between 30.70 and 30.68 and then again 30.72...doesnt mean a hill of horse crap!
Buy the RCBS tool that is the scale and powder measure and enjoy it. Keep it plugged into 120VC all the time and siting somewhere air currents cant blow across it.

I would not totally agree with what you said. It can make a difference depends on what kind of discipline of shooting your doing. Granted brass prep bullet seating etc. are a bigger issue than hundreds or tenths if a grain . But if i have the option to weed out as many vairiables as i can I tend to lean that way. It can only create positive results

I would not totally agree with what you said. It can make a difference depends on what kind of discipline of shooting your doing. Granted brass prep bullet seating etc. are a bigger issue than hundreds or tenths if a grain . But if i have the option to weed out as many vairiables as i can I tend to lean that way. It can only create positive results

OH come on ,,, 1/100th of a grain making a difference ,,, no Friging way Dude !!!!
That is not even borderline ridiculous,,, its 100 % ridiculous....
Even if its for bullets, cases or powder......

OH come on ,,, 1/100th of a grain making a difference ,,, no Friging way Dude !!!!

This is not a benchrest forum but you think serios benchrest shooters think +or- a tenth of a grain is close enough when they weight sort there brass to that tolerance not saying that you're not shooting excellent groups the way each person wants to do it I just choise to take a step further. Heck you can probably out shoot me. By the sounds of it you calling me ridiculous you must have a lot of experience trying it both ways and come to the conclusion through experience and knowledge. But i try to get rid of the vairiables so I can to allow room for my mess ups

Last edited:
When I got into reloading about 15 years, I started with a RCBS 10-10 beam scale. As I used this, I really hated to stare at that needle with the white line trying to line it up with that black line. After about 25 rounds my eyes would start hurting. Eventually I upgraded to a Lyman 1200 powder thrower/scale combo. Put the 10-10 away.

The Lyman, I thought wasn't all that accurate. So I bought a GemPro 250. Easier on the eyes, seems accurate. Yes it does drift. But I can deal with that.

Today, I wanted to load 100 rounds. Got things set up. Got the Lyman 1200 out and calibrated. I use it to throw charges 2/10's under my final load. Got the GenPro out and went to calibrate it. I notice it was drifting like crazy. Thought maybe it was a breeze. So I flipped the cover over the pan platform. Still drifting. Unplugged for a couple minutes. Nothing changed. Thought crap, I'm going to have to use the 10-10 beam scale. Pulled it out and blew the dust off and started to use it. After about 50 rounds, my eyes started to hurt staring at that those little lines.

Thought this was BS. So I plugged the GemPro back in and there was no drifting. I calibrated it and went on my way.

Moral of the story I will never go back to a beam scale. Unless I'm off the grid and no power. I will likely upgrade to better scale someday.

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.