Decent scope for around $200

I can see what you are saying...just the whole shooting at live critters part is what's hesitating me. I'm new to long range myself so maybe I shouldn't be giving any advice. I just feel we owe it to the animal to do our best. If you can put 5 out of 5 hits on a pie plate with BDC then that is great and I say go for it but if you can't do it at the gun range 5 out of 5 where you have no buck fever and known distances and wind patterns then you have no business shooting that far at a deer. Just saying...
I've centered steel targets to 400+ with no problem. Since I use turrets on my personal longer range rifles I haven't tried the BDC style at 500 or more. I do some work on rifles for others and that gives me exposure to the BDC. I only use one on my muzzleloader and 35 Remington Marlin 336.

You have to know and trust your setup no matter what you choose. I just point out the BDC reticle as probably the "best" under $200 option for the original poster. Most reliable, repeatable turreted scopes start at twice the price he set and are usually a lot more.

This would be the most reliable for dialing anywhere near your price point
SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope DEMO-C
They have a few flavors both new and on the above samples list. They also have the bushnell elite fixed 10x which is/was on the base model rifle from sniper central. Another budget scope that will dial. I'd pick the swfa over the bushnell due to having the adjustable parallax either in the rear or for slightly more on the side. They also have in both brands either 1/4moa/milldot or mil/mil.

I have an SWFA SS 20x42 MilQuad sitting on my 5R .300WM. The turrets are very solid and repeatable. Unless you're dedicating the rifle to strictly LR (500+ yards), I would go with a 10x42 or a 12x42.

I wouldn't mind a fixed power, but I find myslef shooting far and near. Variable power is my only option here. I found a vortex crossfire 2 for $159 with hash marked moa reticle. I think I might try it out. If I don't like it, I can simply return it.

I've centered steel targets to 400+ with no problem. Since I use turrets on my personal longer range rifles I haven't tried the BDC style at 500 or more. I do some work on rifles for others and that gives me exposure to the BDC. I only use one on my muzzleloader and 35 Remington Marlin 336.

You have to know and trust your setup no matter what you choose. I just point out the BDC reticle as probably the "best" under $200 option for the original poster. Most reliable, repeatable turreted scopes start at twice the price he set and are usually a lot more.

Well put Dr.!!! Again I am by far least qualified and you have given me so much help that if you say this can be done and is a valid option I'll believe it! I have a BDC on my 7mm rem mag at the moment and I have shot it at a deer at 300 and it worked fine although I really don't have to do much adjustment at 300 for my 7mm mag haha. I have taken it to 400 a couple times and it worked ok but mine does not have any windage corrections or mil dots...this is my reason for going for a new scope as on windy days I have seen lots of change in POI and trying to guess my hold values.

this is my reason for going for a new scope as on windy days I have seen lots of change in POI and trying to guess my hold values.

OH yes. As has been said here many times, it's the wind that will mess you up at distance. Mastering elevation is the easy part.

This would be the most reliable for dialing anywhere near your price point
SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope DEMO-C
They have a few flavors both new and on the above samples list. They also have the bushnell elite fixed 10x which is/was on the base model rifle from sniper central. Another budget scope that will dial. I'd pick the swfa over the bushnell due to having the adjustable parallax either in the rear or for slightly more on the side. They also have in both brands either 1/4moa/milldot or mil/mil.

X2...

I have one on a 6.5 Creed and it is good to go out to 500. Surprisingly good glass for the money as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.