338 lapua platforms for around 2K?

setandglass

Wondering if anyone can shed somelight on what all 338 lapu platforms are out there for around $2000. I known savage has the 110, armilite ar30, not really sure what else is out there for around that price? I've heard of a few ar30"s that shoot good know of one that shoots real well but the guy that has it say"s thats not the norm. Any info would help going to buy one next weekish. just don"t want to over look any. is there any with a barrel longer than 26. I know the ar30 says 28 but that counts the break.

Weatherby makes a 338 la,28'' braked,TRR, FULLY ADJ. STOCK mark 5. $2300. Sako trg 42 is trick but have to put +$300 on the WBY. Weatherby is 9 1/4 #

WOW... that sako 42 looks nice.. May have to dig deeper into those pockets. anybody shooting any of these rifles?

The Sako has a fully adjustable stock,pull,check. The triggeris fully adjustable,up down and 2 stage, short throw 3 lug, massive bolt,27'' barrel, new ones are 1-10, DBM, BUT they are 11 3/4 #. I was at range just a few days ago and this guy showed me a one bullet hole group with his at 200, few of the other groups where 1/4-3/8 @200.

Sounds real good, I'm not worried about the weight. Think I may of just found some extra money....lol

setandglass:

Appears you are talking less optics, base, and rings.

While I don't price them, see this page for the many, many opportunities you have (all the red 1's) - Products - Rifles

Enjoy the decision making.

BTW, in most cases you can substantially beat the "list" price using Internet searches, so don't let the MSRP put you off on a rifle that otherwise looks to be agood match.

Wondering if anyone can shed somelight on what all 338 lapu platforms are out there for around $2000. I known savage has the 110, armilite ar30, not really sure what else is out there for around that price? I've heard of a few ar30"s that shoot good know of one that shoots real well but the guy that has it say"s thats not the norm. Any info would help going to buy one next weekish. just don"t want to over look any. is there any with a barrel longer than 26. I know the ar30 says 28 but that counts the break.

Knowing what a Stiller action; Jewell trigger and Brux barrel costs...and what I can buy a Stocky's stock for...install pillars and bedding myself...then WITHOUT a scope and mounts you SHOULD be able to get one built up to your specs for les than $2000....by far!

Here is a list of what I have paid for custom Builds.

Average stock $400 (add another $300 for a Mcmillan)
Custom Action $1000~$1400
Fluted Barrel $450
Brake $100
Trigger $125 or ($250 for a Jewell)

Machine work:
Thread and chamber barrel $250
install brake $125

So if you stay to the minimum side and do the bedding yourself you will be in the $2450 range. If you go first cabin $3275 (still bedding and fee floating yourself.

Then there are other items needed:

Dies $50 to $220 I really feel the $220 for Redding Comp dies are worth it.
Brass $280 + per 100 (Lapua 338 LM)
Bullets and powder $$ ?
Scope rail @125 Nightforce
Rings $150 Nightforce
Scope $800 ~ $20000 plus

So by the time you pull the trigger the first time ... $4500 plus

This might make some of the used rifle look pretty good.

Oh, ya got a good rangefinder...? :)

Jeff

Knowing what a Stiller action; Jewell trigger and Brux barrel costs...and what I can buy a Stocky's stock for...install pillars and bedding myself...then WITHOUT a scope and mounts you SHOULD be able to get one built up to your specs for les than $2000....by far!

That ain't happening!!! :rolleyes:

Like Broz said . I have seen some nice used customs and other on here that where good deals, some hardly broke in or even just test fired.

The Sako has a fully adjustable stock,pull,check. The triggeris fully adjustable,up down and 2 stage, short throw 3 lug, massive bolt,27'' barrel, new ones are 1-10, DBM, BUT they are 11 3/4 #. I was at range just a few days ago and this guy showed me a one bullet hole group with his at 200, few of the other groups where 1/4-3/8 @200.

Sounds like you're familiar with the TRG. I've read that it has an integrated
"17mm axial dovetail". I assume this is different than a normal picantinny rail. Does this mean I have to get Sakos proprietary rings because normal rings such as my Nightforce won't fit?

Sounds like you're familiar with the TRG. I've read that it has an integrated
"17mm axial dovetail". I assume this is different than a normal picantinny rail. Does this mean I have to get Sakos proprietary rings because normal rings such as my Nightforce won't fit?
Sako sells a model w/intergrated rail, but +$500?. They also sell a 3 ring set up that fits, $450.NEAR makes a base that has lugs that fit in precisely in Sako, rail type, then use any ring you want, look it up on there site,25 moa if I recall.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.