338 lapua platforms for around 2K?

That ain't happening!!! :rolleyes:

I know what I have in 2 of my 4 rifles I got last year...so I should be able to quote some close prices

Here is a list that Broz made up:
Here is a list of what I have paid for custom Builds.

Average stock $400 (add another $300 for a Mcmillan) I can buy a perfectly good stock from Stockys for less than 250
Custom Action $1000~$1400 I can get a Stiller for $950
Fluted Barrel $450 I dont need flutes and a non fluted barrel will set me back $330
Brake $100 I dont need a brake
Trigger $125 or ($250 for a Jewell) Got to have a trigger though and my last Jewell cost me $200

Machine work:
Thread and chamber barrel $250 Chamber and thread the barrel and set the headspace costs me just a tad less than 250...but lets just say 250
install brake $125 No charge here cause Im not using a brake

Add them up and tell me what the total is??

I know what I have in 2 of my 4 rifles I got last year...so I should be able to quote some close prices

Here is a list that Broz made up:
Here is a list of what I have paid for custom Builds.

Average stock $400 (add another $300 for a Mcmillan) I can buy a perfectly good stock from Stockys for less than 250
Custom Action $1000~$1400 I can get a Stiller for $950
Fluted Barrel $450 I dont need flutes and a non fluted barrel will set me back $330
Brake $100 I dont need a brake
Trigger $125 or ($250 for a Jewell) Got to have a trigger though and my last Jewell cost me $200

Machine work:
Thread and chamber barrel $250 Chamber and thread the barrel and set the headspace costs me just a tad less than 250...but lets just say 250
install brake $125 No charge here cause Im not using a brake

That is fine for a single shot. If he wants a repeater then there is considerably more cost involved. You also didn't add a single shot adapter (unless it's a single shot action), bedding compound and pillars, and a trigger guard. So even doing it with your numbers it's every bit of 2000.00 if not more.

You are at $1980 and squeeking a bit.:D

Here is what you sated in case you forgot.

"Knowing what a Stiller action; Jewell trigger and Brux barrel costs...and what I can buy a Stocky's stock for...install pillars and bedding myself...then WITHOUT a scope and mounts you SHOULD be able to get one built up to your specs for les than $2000....by far! "

So $20 is "by far" less than $2000. Plus we both forgot bottom metal, (Rem BDL $75 average used price) and this thread was about a 338 Lapua (see title) , would you build a 338 LM with no brake? No , so that $225 is back in.... and the 338 Stiller action is $1050 oops another hundie. Since $20 is "by far" less, then we better add another $20 for bedding compound. What about shipping that barrel , action and stock? ($30) Gas to the smith? mine is a 300 mile round trip so there s a tank of fuel ($65) Action screws? Pillars? Etc.

The point BignGreen was making is, even if you are "so tight you save the grease off you farts to fry your eggs" you ain't likely to build a custom actioned 338 LM for under $2000 and he is spot on correct.

With love:D

Jeff

Jeff,

Bugholes.com has Stiller TAC338's for 950.00 plus shipping when they have them in stock.

Nathan

OK, thanks ! so take that $100 back out . I got the price from the Stiller web site today. But still add in the freight. :D

So we are at a bare minimum build less bedding and free floating of $2395 and that is with a cheap stock.

Jeff

Last edited:
OK, thanks ! so take that $100 back out . I got the price from the Stiller web site today. But still add in the freight. :D

So we are at a bare minimum build less bedding and free floating of $2395 and that is with a cheap stock.

Jeff

Mucho difference between CHEAP stock and LOW COST stock partner! Just cause it aint "plastic" dont mean its the first cousin to firewood.

Go and look at all the $2000 to 38-3900 dollar "custom rifles"....then gaze on the $25,000 to 40,000 rifles and see which are wood.

Personally I dont now nor ever will have a plastic stock

That is fine for a single shot. If he wants a repeater then there is considerably more cost involved. You also didn't add a single shot adapter (unless it's a single shot action), bedding compound and pillars, and a trigger guard. So even doing it with your numbers it's every bit of 2000.00 if not more.

Oh yeah..your right...I forgot the $25 dollar spring and follower...( geeze)

Thanks to all that are helping. I've looked at rifles forsale on here but I hate to buy a rifle thats used when I can't put my hands on it. Can't really be running all over the country til i find one. Its hard for me to just take someone's word.

A center feed Wyatt box with follower (to work for a .338 Lapua) is 55.00. That is without machining cost to install it since the TAC338's aren't set up for them like the Predators were. That still doesn't include bottom metal either. So your not giving the completed rifle numbers just part of them or overlooking part of them.

Using your numbers without a brake your at 1980.00 plus 55.00 (without shipping) for a mag box and follower, 75.00 used, like Broz said, for bottom metal, let say 25.00 for bedding compound and pillars and you still have to have the action machined for the mag box. That's 2135.00 plus machining the action for the longer mag box.

Let's just say for the sake of arguement that it's gonna cost between $2200-2600 to build a 338 Lapua. The price is going to very between what components he chooses to use and where he ends up getting them from, oh and who does the work for him. I don't see any reason to argue over this question he just wants a ballpark figure and to see if it can be done!! It doesn't matter if guy A likes composite stocks or guy B likes laminate stocks. What matters is what he likes so all one can do is give a price with both and let him choose!! The cheapest way to go would be to build a single shot rifle. I had mine built on a Savage target action that was $450 and total build was around $1900 for barrel machining action and stock!! It will shoot sub six inch groups at a grand when I do my part. I have been shooting it for three years now without any issues. Good luck with your build and let us see it when it's done.

I've been thinking about getting a .338 Lapua, probably a Sako TRG, and have been reading about the "inherent long range accuracy"of the cartridge. I've known of .340 WBYs, which have very similar ext. ballistics to the Lapua, to shoot .5 moa. It seems if a bullet shoots accurately at 100 yds, it will shoot accurately at any range, regardless of the case it came out of. In other words, there's no such thing as long range accuracy, just accuracy period. Am I missing something? I'm asking because I can build something a lot cheaper, like the Mark 5 with a 26" Douglas premium tube in .340 WBY that my buddy had years ago that shot .5 moa all day with 250 gr Sierra bts. I've never been a fan of WBY actions but it seems worth considering.

Weatherby makes a MarkV, 338 LA. TRR. 28'' BRAKED,adj.stock $2300. Or get a 340 accumark, you will not get the same ballistics but close. I have a 340 wby,and 338 Norma. Next on my list is a Lapua.

Weatherby makes a MarkV, 338 LA. TRR. 28'' BRAKED,adj.stock $2300. Or get a 340 accumark, you will not get the same ballistics but close. I have a 340 wby,and 338 Norma. Next on my list is a Lapua.

sp6x6:

Weatherby lists only two 338 LM TRRs:

TRR Custom Magnum | Weatherby.com at MSRP $2700

and

Mark V® TRR RC (Range Certified) | Weatherby.com at $4100

what you appear to mean is this model at MSRP $2300 - Mark V® Accumark .338 Lapua | Weatherby.com

That last is not a TRR, no adj stock.

Three (3) in total listed - when you run a Select-A-Weatherby for 338 LM - Select a Weatherby | Weatherby.com

That is not what I mean, I am no good at linking but I LOOKED AT A TRR for sale on the net, in last few days. I am interested in a Lapua myself and have had my eye out for last year. Just like the Hide had a group by last fall on trg 42 for $2250.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.