load for 338 lapua

sniperboy

Gday to all

I m working on loads for my 338 lapua, it has a 26inch barrel and a nesika single shot action. Wanting to ask for some advise on a load using 300g smk projectiles and lapua brass. I ve also bought a tin of n170 vithauvori powder, is there and good loads out there with that powder? or other powders?

Thanks
sniperboy

I use primarily Hodgdon H1000 and Retumbo due to the low standard deviation rate of these powders. I also work the loads up to the maximum pressure that I can safely shoot which is always, approximately, a couple of grains higher than the maximum recommended load because I have found that this cartridge, from the perspective of accuracy, likes to be loaded hot. I have found that the same is true of the Remington Ultra Magnum cartridges also.

Start with the recommended starting load and work up gradually. I shoot my brass a couple of times only because I'm hammering the hell out of the case head. It is expensive, but last weekend I shot my MK100 rifle with hot handloads and the best 5 round group shot was .524" at the widest point in the group, from damaged edge of the paper to damaged edge. If you subtract the bullet diameter of .338" from .524" the group size is .186", and this is an operational magazine fed sniper rifle with an IOR Valdada 4-28x56mm Tactical scope on top.

I have shot a large number of cartridges loaded with Vihtavuori powder, but have never reloaded with it and can be of no help in recommending a load for the 338 Lapua Magnum cartridge. Recommended starting loads with N170 and a 300 grain projectile is 79.4 grains (5.15 g), and maximum recommended is 90.4 grains (5.86 g).

Hope that helps.

The AMU (Army Marksmanship Program) has tested a few powders and are currently have best results with N170 out to 1500m using the .338 LM.
They are using 90.5gr N170, Lapua case, @ 3.600" and 215M primer.
I however found that my rifle likes 90.2gr.
I have shot between .3"-.6" groups at 200 yards during load development.

For my .338 Lapua in a Sako TRG-42 Retumbo works the best for me with 250 Scenar, and Fed 215m avg velocity is 3150 avg.

This round gives me under 3/8" at 100 and I have been able to get 80% hit rates at 1500 yards and in a 12-15mph wind on a 20" gong. I can't say enough about the Lapua.

I have used it for hunting and the results are spectacular on Mule deer.

As far as vit powders I have no real experiance. But I am about to do some load development for my HS in .308 with some n-150 and 185 bergers and scenars.

Hope this helps

H1000 @ 91.0 to 92.0
300 gr Sierra MK or the excellent Berger 300gr Elite Hunter (my Favorite)
Lapua Brass
Fed 215 primers

The 91.5 will give 2800 FPS in 26"

AR 30

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts