Please vote-338 Lapua platform

Which 338 Lapua platform?

• Total voters
Between the two, I would go with the Sako TRG-42. But like Kraiza said: throw a Savage into the mix (say the 110 FCP) and I would choose the Savage and put the savings into better glass.

Angus also makes a great point: two completely different rifles. The Sako is not atrue hunting rig, or a "carry rifle".

I will also vote for the 42. I better I just ordered one from euro optics on sat. My friend has one and loves it.

I will also vote for the 42. I better I just ordered one from euro optics on sat. My friend has one and loves it.

Please let me know how it works out for you, that is where I am planning to order from and I would be interested in how it works out.........

The guys at euro optics are gtg. They answered all my questions and ordering was fast and easy. It took a little over a week to get my gun. They only bad thing was that the bipods are on back order and wont be in till about Sept 1st. They said thats when they will come off the boat from finnland. I checked around today and looks like everyone is sold out of them.

I would also have to say the sako...... but for only a couple reasons. I just recently ran into a guy at my local shop that had the wby. The barrel contour is not very good for target shooting due to the fact it heated up "Very quickly" (according to him). From the hands on looks of it it was more a "big bore" hunting rifle than something to take to the range and throw a box or two out of. JMO though, I am not an actual owner or shooter of the wby.

You can go wrong with either one in my book. Garland Gilbreath built a 338 Norma for my brother on a TRG-S M995. I believe the mag box on those actions is limited to a COAL of 3.700, so if a repeater with 250+ gr bullets is what you're after, there are better choices.

The Weatherby "boomer" .580 bolt face case mag boxes will measure up around 3.815, so you can get a pretty big round in there as a repeater. I like the Mark V actions, so that's my vote for you.

338 Excalibur built by a Master Smith who frequents this forum.
820260883_KxGFZ-X2.jpg

338 Lapua Ackley Improved built by Joe Starnes
930960763_HcD5G-XL.jpg

30-338 Lapua Improved built by JE Custom and Lone Wolf Stocks
809164836_BnfK6-XL.jpg

338 Lapua (SAAMI) 10.7 lbs as you see it (minus bipod) built by Straight Shooter Supply
i-n5wzDvh-XL.jpg

You can go wrong with either one in my book. Garland Gilbreath built a 338 Norma for my brother on a TRG-S M995. I believe the mag box on those actions is limited to a COAL of 3.700, so if a repeater with 250+ gr bullets is what you're after, there are better choices.

The Weatherby "boomer" .580 bolt face case mag boxes will measure up around 3.815, so you can get a pretty big round in there as a repeater. I like the Mark V actions, so that's my vote for you.

338 Excalibur built by a Master Smith who frequents this forum.
820260883_KxGFZ-X2.jpg

338 Lapua Ackley Improved built by Joe Starnes
930960763_HcD5G-XL.jpg

30-338 Lapua Improved built by JE Custom and Lone Wolf Stocks
809164836_BnfK6-XL.jpg

338 Lapua (SAAMI) 10.7 lbs as you see it (minus bipod) built by Straight Shooter Supply
i-n5wzDvh-XL.jpg

That's an awesome collection!

I've had very good results with my TRG-42 with both the 300 Berger and SMK. Just my .02$.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.