Decent scope for around $200

kahman308

Well, after this last season of hunting, I believe it's time to step it up in the optics department on my Ruger 270win. I bought the gun when I was 13, and have been running a Simmons prosport till now. I'm looking for something that is going to get me at least 12 power, good light transmission, and a hold over/wind age reticle. So far, the vortex, nikon, and red field has been popping up in the articles I have been reading. I mostly hunt white tail deer out to 400 yards, but am comfortable out to 600. What are your recommendations? I am looking for light transmission, holdover/wind age reticle, at least 12 power, and decent adjustments for elev. keep in mind the $200 price tag. Thanks again!

I'd look at the Vortex Diamondback 4-12 with BDC reticle. I've never used this scope but I have a couple of the PSTs and they're great glass for the money. I can't remember seeing any really great long range reticles on the less expensive scopes. The BDC is not bad for the ranges you are shooting though.

You aren't going to find a whole lot for great quality with a long range reticle in that price range. I would suggest a Leupold VX-1 in a 3-9 or 4-12. Shooting deer at 400-600 yards will be fine with that and you don't need a reticle with windage holdovers at those distances. If you want to start going longer than 600, I would recommend saving your money for a bit. Truthfully, I don't know what a Simmons Prosport is, but if you can shoot deer at 400 yards with it, you aren't going to find much better for $200.

I would think about this one if you have any interest in a BDC style reticle:

From Cameraland NY:

"As I am sure you know we are moving at the end of January.
There will be lots of items we will post up at super savings so we do not need to pack and move them. We recently bought a close-out from a distributor on Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 BDC Riflescope #6421 only $149.99 Yes, These are new.

This offer is not on our Camera Land web site so if you are interested please give us a call to place an order, 212-753-5128.

Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 BDC Riflescope, #6421"

This same scope was at least $200 previously, usually more.

I'd look at the Vortex Diamondback 4-12 with BDC reticle. I've never used this scope but I have a couple of the PSTs and they're great glass for the money. I can't remember seeing any really great long range reticles on the less expensive scopes. The BDC is not bad for the ranges you are shooting though.
For the $200 range, this would be my suggestion as well. My buddy has one, and it's been a really impressive scope for the money.

It's definitely not a Viper HS, or a Zeiss...But for a $200 scope, they get a thumbsup from me.

Thanks for the suggestions guys/gals. I'm really leaning towards a nikon or vortex now. A twelve power or more. I'll probably be going to fondle some today, so I'll report back on what I find! gun)

hmm...not trying to judge but not sure how id feel about shooting at a critter 400+ yards using BDC style reticles. Personally I feel we owe it to the game to put a good hit and there is a large drop difference from 450 yards to 500 yards that a BDC reticle is just not good at...just my opinion. the drop would be 10+ inches from a 270. Just saying I think BDCs are good out to maybe 400 yards but beyond that I would seriously start to consider using turret style scopes. Maybe I'm wrong but that is just my opinion.

hmm...not trying to judge but not sure how id feel about shooting at a critter 400+ yards using BDC style reticles. Personally I feel we owe it to the game to put a good hit and there is a large drop difference from 450 yards to 500 yards that a BDC reticle is just not good at...just my opinion. the drop would be 10+ inches from a 270. Just saying I think BDCs are good out to maybe 400 yards but beyond that I would seriously start to consider using turret style scopes. Maybe I'm wrong but that is just my opinion.

Generally I'd agree, but after Dad took antelope at 512 and 816 yards with a Nikon BDC back in 2010... I've had a lot more faith in them if used correctly.

The Nikon SpotOn program works well to help subdivide the circles to allow for more precise use of the reticle. I wouldn't use one without it or iStrelok.

How about the vortex crossfire line?

I purchased a 6-18 and wasnt thinking it wouldn't be anything special.

After several trips out, i am pleasantly surprised.

I didnt realize that line is made in china, but i am happy with it. You cant expect a whole lot for $200 range.

Using an app to properly tune your BDC drops and tell you preciscely at what distances each line or dot is, makes a WORLD of difference.

I use iStrelok for the iphone.

Also, Vortex has their own version for their scopes on their website...

http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/lrbc

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.