Decent scope for around $200

Using an app to properly tune your BDC drops and tell you preciscely at what distances each line or dot is, makes a WORLD of difference.

I use iStrelok for the iphone.

Also, Vortex has their own version for their scopes on their website...

Vortex Optics - LRBC

+1 the nikon app was getting my .30-06 rem 700, my .308 rem 700, and my AR out to 500 yards and 400 yards (AR). The 30-06 is a Nikon prostaff, the .308 is a monarch III, and the AR is a P223. The BDC works great with the Nikon app.

I agree that you owe it to the animals to make an ethical shot. I have taken a deer at 350 with a 3-9 duplex and I felt confident for one reason, I have practiced. It makes the world of difference. I'm not worried too much about the hold over reticles, I just know that asking for an open dial for elevation is asking for a lot for $200.

My groups are around 5-6inch. Depending upon wind. I usually dial up, but the clicks aren't solid, so that's what I dislike. I learned to hold over but I would rather cllick it up, than hold over.

I agree that you owe it to the animals to make an ethical shot. I have taken a deer at 350 with a 3-9 duplex and I felt confident for one reason, I have practiced. It makes the world of difference. I'm not worried too much about the hold over reticles, I just know that asking for an open dial for elevation is asking for a lot for $200.

I can understand what everyone is saying and I don't doubt the BDCs as I've used them out to 400 on steel and 300 on deer but after 400 bullets drop a lot and fast. If a deer is at 550 and your BDC has lines for 500 then 600 now you are guestimating the deer in the middle of the lines or holding high...etc. I don't doubt with practice you can make this happen but for 500 bucks you can get a vortex viper HS-T that will allow you to adjust holdover perfectly as long as you do your part. Then there is the wind factor which BDC does nothing to help you.

Precisely, I have a Bushnell 6-24x50 elite tactical that has mil/mil dots. I really like it, but IR doesn't work for hunting because I have it on my target 308 and is a 30mm tube. Rugers have 1in. I am really leaning towards the vortex crossfire 2 moa with moa holdover windage reticle.

Precisely, I have a Bushnell 6-24x50 elite tactical that has mil/mil dots. I really like it, but IR doesn't work for hunting because I have it on my target 308 and is a 30mm tube. Rugers have 1in. I am really leaning towards the vortex crossfire 2 moa with moa holdover windage reticle.
Rugers also use 2 different height rings because of their reciever's design.

Here's what you will need for a 30mm scope...

Ruger 30mm Ring Mount 5B30HM Matte High

And

Ruger 30mm Ring Mount 6B30HM Matte Extra-High

Or you can get the properly sized Leupold set.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362168983/leupold-ring-mounts-ruger-77?cm_vc=ProductFinding

You will need Matte finish, Super High, 30mm, and a non-extended front, as the selections you will need to choose.

I had thought about doing that, but then I have to switch scopes back and forth. I shoot both rifles rather often, so it would become a headache.

If you can find a deal in that price range, the Nikon Buckmaster is a great scope. I own a couple. But you are seriously challenging cost vs quality in trying to get a scope that will reliably repeat dialing in that price range. The Nikon Buckmaster is the only scope I personally have experience with where I would even hope for it. Mine have been great...any other scope I've owned in that price range, not so much.

If you want to swap scopes and have 1 good scope, it can be a pain in the butt.

If you have a reputatable gunsmith nearby, and if your rifle is a Model 77 (not a newer Ruger American, or Hawkeye model), I would go this route...

Ruger M-77 Long Action Picatinny Rail Mounts (MUST DRILL & TAP RECEIVER) 0 MOA: EGW Gun Parts

And these rings, in steel, 30mm, and medium height, as they are in stock currently.

TPS TSR Picatinny-Style Rings Matte

Then you would have an extremely nice, and practical setup for your Ruger action.

The reason you need a good experienced smith, is because he will have to drill and tap the top of the reciever for the bolts. It would honestly be worth the money to do, because at this point, you are stuck to buying proprietary Ruger rings, which are often hard to find, and expensive. If you go this route, you are open to ANY rings designed to fit a 1913 picatinny rail. Which is a HUGE market compared to what you are extremely limited to right now.

If your rifle is a newer "Ruger American" model rifle, EGW also sells picatinny bases that fit those models, as well. But they are not the same as the one I linked you to, because the one I linked you to, is for a Model 77.

Here is one for a "Ruger American" rifle... In case this is what you have and not a Model 77.

http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=product&id=1361

If a deer is at 550 and your BDC has lines for 500 then 600 now you are guestimating the deer in the middle of the lines or holding high...etc.

You need to play with the Nikon SpotOn program.

I just went and ran an example with the Winchester ammo I use in my 270.
As you can see, it's much more precise than you think it is. If you use it right, as has already been mentioned in this thread, the BDC can work very well.

There's also a big difference between the OP asking for a $200 scope and someone recommending a $500 scope. For that price I'd find a lightly used Zeiss 4.5-15x50.

Attachments

• BDC reticle.jpg
    BDC reticle.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 70
You need to play with the Nikon SpotOn program.

I just went and ran an example with the Winchester ammo I use in my 270.
As you can see, it's much more precise than you think it is. If you use it right, as has already been mentioned in this thread, the BDC can work very well.

There's also a big difference between the OP asking for a $200 scope and someone recommending a $500 scope. For that price I'd find a lightly used Zeiss 4.5-15x50.

I can see what you are saying...just the whole shooting at live critters part is what's hesitating me. I'm new to long range myself so maybe I shouldn't be giving any advice. I just feel we owe it to the animal to do our best. If you can put 5 out of 5 hits on a pie plate with BDC then that is great and I say go for it but if you can't do it at the gun range 5 out of 5 where you have no buck fever and known distances and wind patterns then you have no business shooting that far at a deer. Just saying...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts