Cutting Edge Raptor in .264

Aldon

I saw on another thread that LTLR felt these were especially effective in dealing destruction. But that was in 308 calibers.

Anyone tried these in a 6.5X284 or 6.5-06 etc..?

How did they work out? Observations?

I doubt I would spend the money for range shooting or plinking but I have a couple .264 and .284 dedicated hunting rigs that I might make the plunge on. (Actually I just looked again and .284 does not seem to be listed. Still interested in .264 feedback)

My buddy just bought some to shoot in his 6.5x284. When we get a decent day we are going to test a few on rock chucks.

Great.

I would be using them on Whitetail and potentially Mulies if I get back out west.

If nothing else, your rock chuck outing ought to give us some idea on accuracy etc..

I look forward to hearing how it goes.

I saw on another thread that LTLR felt these were especially effective in dealing destruction. But that was in 308 calibers.

Anyone tried these in a 6.5X284 or 6.5-06 etc..?

How did they work out? Observations?

I doubt I would spend the money for range shooting or plinking but I have a couple .264 and .284 dedicated hunting rigs that I might make the plunge on. (Actually I just looked again and .284 does not seem to be listed. Still interested in .264 feedback)

I am interested in the 6.5 feedback as well and would be using them exactly as you described, for hunting purposes only. For practice and targets I would stay with the A-max which is a cheap and very accurate performer in its own right!

Scot E.

I do not know what the bc is on the raptors. It may be a short range bullet. I know the BC is not as high as the long range bullets I shoot. They come with a polycarbonate tip to help the bc if you want to put those on the tips. Can shoot them with or without. But they will destroy anything you hit with one. Stand hunting whitetails where ranges are close would be devastaing. There website would probably have a bc on the raptors.

I have considered them for my 264 STW since I can drive them over 3700 fps making the BC not that great a factor inside of 600 or so yards. We shoot a .3's bc at 3700 fps in our 257 wby at deer and antelope to 600 yards just fine so may be worth a try.

I want some for my griz protection handgun. They would destroy a grizz at close range coming into my tent, etc.

Thanks for your insight LTLR.

That is exactly what I would be considering them for.

Whitetails at likely less than 300 yards.

I would be using them in 6.5-06AI.

The website says to choose Velocity and load them up. Am I to assume best velocity of similar grain bullet of another type bullet as the max velocity?

I haven't read the website but my guess is that means they are very good at any velocity. Just get an accurate load and you are good to go. They will hold together fired at any velocity and destroy any animal they hit at any decent velocity.

I purchased Raptors in 6.5 and 338. I could not get them to shoot very well in the 6.5x284 or the 338 Lapua. I also purchased some 30 cal--7mm cal--338 cal regular Cutting Edge bullets and I did not have anything that will shoot them under 1". The rifles I shot them in are .3 or better shooters with SMK. I was very disappointed with the Cutting Edge bullets. Ross

I purchased Raptors in 6.5 and 338. I could not get them to shoot very well in the 6.5x284 or the 338 Lapua. I also purchased some 30 cal--7mm cal--338 cal regular Cutting Edge bullets and I did not have anything that will shoot them under 1". The rifles I shot them in are .3 or better shooters with SMK. I was very disappointed with the Cutting Edge bullets. Ross

I have a friend that shot some of the 338's and said they grouped like a shotgun in a rifle that is a proven shooter too.

Jeff

Reports of poor accuracy with Cutting Edge bullets are very unusual. I have tested Cutting Edge bullets at length and they are as accurate or more accurate in every rifle I have tested them in than any hunting bullet I have ever shot. The key reason is they are perfect bullets cut individually on cnc machines. This makes the cost high but for people who want the best and spend quite a lot on hunts bullet cost by comparison is so small it is not worth mentioning. I put a mic on some Berger long range bullets and the measurements in the critical front area of the bullet varied considerably where in comparison to the Cutting Edge bullets which were exact bullet to bullet. This is not a throw off on the Bergers which are as good a lead core bullet as there is made. It is just the difference between an expensive custom individually made bullet vs a mass produced lead core bullet.

The key to the Cutting edge is they are not as fincky and critical to load for as the extreme ogive design of bullets such as the Berger which takes a lot of testing to find the proper seating depth where they shoot good. I know berger is working hard to correct this problem with the new hybrid design bullet which is good to see.

I am aware of the time and afford that Cutting Edge has spent on making there bullets. That is why I spent the extra money for the bullets. The problem is that they don't shoot very well at all in my rifles. I seated the bullets just like they reccomend just to the driving ban with poor results on a 284--6.5x284 and a 338 Lapua. Like I said these rifles are proven shooters with Jewell BR triggers and 6.5-20 optics from leupold. I put them up for sale at 50 cents per bullet with no intrest so far. This is the most money I have spent on bullets not to have them shoot. If they worked in my rifles I would buy more
Ross

The person that shared the experience with me is an avid rifleman and very experienced at reloading. I will let him decide if he wants to share his experience or not as he is a well know member here too.

The reason I posted what I did was to let rem40x know he is no where near alone with his experience.

Funny how experiences differ with shooters. All the stuff about Bergers being hard to load for and such. I find them to be among the easiest most accurate bullet to load that I have ever loaded.

That frontal tip is of little issue if any. Especially spinning at 200,000 rpm. It does not matter at all to me as the measurement I care about is the ogive at land diameter.

Proof of the accuacy of the Bergers is easy to find from some of the best long range shooters and hunters known. For example Sawn Carlocks recent 3/4 moa group at 2224 yards with his 338 Edge + P. Those minute differences in the tips must be concealing a radar aiming device or something..:D

Jeff

Last edited:
Most reports have been great accuracy. 1/2" to 3/4" at 100 yards have been the norm. I have a few questions. For those who have had accuracy issues, have you tried groups without the tips? What are the twists of the barrels? Have you tried lower velocities? Do you have long chamber throats? Thank you for the replies. I would like to solve the mystery and find a solution. These are precision bullets that have shot well so to know the why's of other than great accuracy can be helpful to everyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.