Cutting Edge Raptor in .264

http://http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc330/rem40xb1/cuttingedge1607mm.jpgI shot water jugs and soaked phone books with the 160 7mm bullets and they blew the nose off the bullet and retained 95% of the bullet weight. Cutting Edge said the bullets needed to be drilled deeper. So that they retained 75% of bullet weight.
cuttingedge1607mm.jpg

I've been wondering if an over sized factory chamber will actually shoot these better than a tighter on, my 338 RUM reamer leaves very little clearance in the throat. If I get the seal tight band even on the throat I have to pound the bolt open and then pound the bullet out of the throat. The only place I have not seated them is with the band in the neck which I plan on trying to give it more jump.

We've looked at the CE"s for a 6.5 but it is tight as well and I'm leary of plucking down that much coin after the last go around.

I shot water jugs and soaked phone books with the 160 7mm bullets and they blew the nose off the bullet and retained 95% of the bullet weight.

CuttingEdge-1.jpg

Could you give us some more details on there pics please. Rifle chambering, muzzle velocity and distance shot.

Thanks

Jeff

I've been wondering if an over sized factory chamber will actually shoot these better than a tighter on, my 338 RUM reamer leaves very little clearance in the throat. If I get the seal tight band even on the throat I have to pound the bolt open and then pound the bullet out of the throat. The only place I have not seated them is with the band in the neck which I plan on trying to give it more jump.

We've looked at the CE"s for a 6.5 but it is tight as well and I'm leary of plucking down that much coin after the last go around.
The seal tight band is larger than the throat and should be hard to remove. They are supposed to be positioned in the chamber neck area. You need to have enough space between the front of your case and the throat for the STB.

Rifle used to shoot the 160 7mm bullets
284 win
9 twist
Kreiger barrel
700 rem action
velocity 2875
distance from water jugs and phone books 100 yards
accuracy 1 1/2" 5 shots
reamer ptg throated for 168 bergers

velocity 2875
distance from water jugs and phone books 100 yards

CuttingEdge-1.jpg

Thanks, so my best guess is the impact velocity was close to 2775. Well, they should penetrate well which is what the guys that use solids are going for. A .284 cal hole in an elks lungs will not put him down. Better go for taking out both front shoulders knuckles or a direct heart shot, and the blood trail will be very light if any.

Jeff

These were not solids-They were hollow points but they performed like solids.
I received a email from Cutting Edge and they said there was some confusion about seating depth instructions that are sent with there bullets and that they were going to correct it. I also purchased some of there 475 bullets for my 470 Capstick and they were shot very well and performed great they were the brass bullet hollow point BBW#13 320 grain. Ross

The seal tight band is larger than the throat and should be hard to remove. They are supposed to be positioned in the chamber neck area. You need to have enough space between the front of your case and the throat for the STB.
Ya, I shot them from the band touching the throat all the way back to the band seated tight to the case which is giving it some jump to the throat but I may try seating the band into the case neck to give it more jump and see if it will help, I know LTLR has seated some that deep and it seemed like it work fine. I could also cut some cases short with would allow more jump without seating the band into the neck.

Ya, I shot them from the band touching the throat all the way back to the band seated tight to the case which is giving it some jump to the throat but I may try seating the band into the case neck to give it more jump and see if it will help, I know LTLR has seated some that deep and it seemed like it work fine. I could also cut some cases short with would allow more jump without seating the band into the neck.

There is more to these than just where the STB is positioned. You should give some consideration to what is happening with the rest of the bullet/ chamber relationship. In an ideal chamber, the seal tight band will be entered into the lead before the driving band contacts the throat. You also should give some consideration to the bore rider fit.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.