customize or start from sratch

Win Mag

I want to build a very accurate 2 - 600yd deer rifle. I am considering using one of these rifles I already have. 338 WM, 300 WM, 300 WTHRBY. The other option is to buy a new caliber (possibly a wsm) to build to be a custom hunting rifle. I have been using 30 cals pretty much since I started hunting whitetails (14 years) so I am comfortable with them and like the stopping power. As of now the 338 is defiantly my favorite rifle (model 70). The others - 300 WM ruger m77, 300 weatherby mark v. 300 yd shots are pretty much the norm where i hunt in ND nothing but miles and miles of rolling plains. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Keep in mind this will also be a "hobby rifle" and I plan to reload ammo for it as well.

It depends on your taste and desires. Do you want all the nice features, or will you be happy with great accuracy, and good function.

If you want all the extras, such as a fluted bolt, m16 extractor, extended magazine, etc, a Full custom is mighty nice, and better value for money.

If you're on a budget, or just don't need all the goodies, truing an existing action, tuning a factory trigger, and using existing bottom metal and magazine cuts $1200 or more off the out of pocket, and will get you a whole lot of performance

I want a tack driver rifle and just don't know if the ones I have would make a fine one or would I end up spending the the same as starting over. I am not limited to any caliber. I like a classic looking rifle but want the accuracy of a custom built rifle. This will be my go to rifle as well as a go to the range rifle. I would like to hear your options on your favorite calibers for LR (200 - 600yd) whitetail hunting and why.

I just realized you're new here. Welcome!

I took your question to mean the goal was a custom rifle. The decision was to use custom components or an existing rifle as a base. I realize I may have misunderstood. Are you wanting a custom rifle, or to accurize a factory rig?

I've spent a lot of time in North Dakota. Beautiful country. 300 yards is close for that country.

Of your three rifles, I'd take the Weatherby. HS precision makes a nice stock. Bed the action, tune the trigger, and add a muzzle brake. Or, you could go custom, and include a trued action and a custom barrel, chambered in your favorite caliber.

The Winchester is a great action to customize. The 338 is a bit much recoil and a bit lacking in ballistic performance.

The win mag is a great caliber. The Ruger is a little tougher, but would work great too.

If you go new, or custom, I'd stay with a magnum in 7mm or 30 cal to buck the wind up there. A regular 7 Rem mag offers great wind bucking with 180 Bergers. The WSM's belong in a long action. If you go custom, they are superb. In 30 cal, the win mag, WSM, Ultra, and Weatherby are all great choices for your application.

For a nice custom, a 7 Dakota, or 300 Dakota would be fitting. They are superb cartridges.

300 WTHRBY!! Get it tuned up good and shoot it until your arms fall off. You dont NEED "bughole" accuracy to start with for the game it appears your hunting.

Re: customize or start from scratch

It won't take long for the arm to fall off shooting the weatherby. That is by far the most violent recoil of any of my larger rifles.

I have considered a 7mm mag as well as 270 wsm and 06 in a model 70. I defiantly don't need anything more accurate than the ones I already have but that's the fun of it i guess.

A brake and good recoil pad will tame that Weatherby down to comfortable. Tune a a good load with 230 bergers, and 1000 yards will be a chip shot. They can be made to shoot well.

Sounds like you might be wanting a new rifle. We all want new rifles :D. A Tikka in a WSM would be hard to beat. Solid, smooth action, nice trigger, good accuracy. Pick the laminate stock for a little weight to dampen recoil, add rigidity, and prvide for good bedding. The model 70 in either caliber would be great. The big 7mm bullets offer an advantage in the wind.

Last edited:
Re: customize or start from scratch

I want to build a very accurate 2 - 600yd deer rifle.

Keep in mind this will also be a "hobby rifle" and I plan to reload ammo for it as well.

Questions that come to mind -

What's your budget?

How far do you shoot now?

Which of the 3 you currently own is the most accurate at 300 yards? This, of course, assumes that you've tailored loads for each rifle since you state you handload. Any of your 3 calibers is completely capable for the yardage you mentions (600). I would likely choose the rifle you own that you like and is accurate, and start from there. As already noted here you can likely have what you want using any of your current rifles as a base. Many of us own factory rifles, or rifles with factory actions and barrels, that do exactly what you're looking for.

For any of them, I'd consider a brake to make all of this more comfortable.

Looks like your a Model-70 fan as well.
If it were me, I'd go buy a long action rifle for cheap at a pawn shop, then send it to any of the Excellent smiths that sponsor LRH for truing the action, opening up the bolt face to a WSM in 270 or 300, installing a new pipe, & timed brake, trigger job, & quality stock. You can shop around, but I firmly belive you won't find a better smith for your intended purposes than the ones who cater to this crowd. Call a few LRH sponsor smiths, & pick any one of them with confidence.

Any of the rifles mentioned will accomplish what you want balistically with ease. If you choose to tune up one of your factory rigs, id go with the Mark V. Good cartrige, & some quality aftermarket support.
If your 300wm was not on a Ruger, it'd be my first choice cartrige wise.
Action wise would be Winchester Model-70, as there is TONS of aftermarket support, but its almost sac-religious to desicrate a 338 in a Model-70, unless it just won't shoot.

Nice "handle" by the way...

Last edited:
I made my longest shot over 1300 yards using a wby mk 5 300 wby on a muley buck near Alder Montana in 1976. It is a great cartridge and rifle. I would accurize it, work up a good load and use that one.

Get your action trued and get a new after market barrel chambered for the caliber you want. Then get your action bedded. This is the minimum that I would do to have a tac driver. Cost would be about $450 + or -.

joseph

One of my shooting buddies shoots a mark V in 300 weatherby, he has a magnabrake from magna-port. I am not kidding but this thing recoils like a 22-250. I can not believe how soft shooting it is. I would go with the weatherby.

Lots of good suggestions. The model 70 is almost impossible to beat in my book but the mark v is defiantly a sweet rifle as well. If the 300 weatherby is as tamable as some of you suggest I would be pretty interested in going that route. Right now that is the only rifle I have ever hunted with that will make your ears ring and kick you so hard it's hard to refocus for a second shot (if required) in the field. As for reloading I am very green.
Average range I shoot now is 100 to about 450 yds. Last season I had a couple of monster whitetails standing around 600 yds and didn't take the shots. Since then I have been trying to do as much research as possible (and practicing) in hopes that next time I can bring the horns home (and meat) not another "the one that got away story". Anyways lots of good knowledge here as I have been reading this forum for quite some time before finally joined. You guys know your guns.

P.S. My bad with the handle... oops!

LTLR... I live right down the road from alder thats nice country bet it was really nice in 1976 a little more crowded now during hunting season anyways :D

I think that win mag would do you well for what your looking for send it off to Grit and have him work his magic and you'll have a shooter for sure... you probably own a better caliber, but the 300 is a sweet rig to reload for and maintain..and the case looks erily similar to that of a 308 hmmm and they are almost always a shooter....

Grit has my 338 lapua right now just waiting to see it once it gets done is killing me!!!!

Jordan

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.