New to the 300 win, reload or factory to start?

I think for now I'm going to just pick up a few boxes of federal 180s and shoot them then start with that brass. I've had good luck with their brass in the past... And I can get it for about $20 a box at academy.

From there I'll pick up some H1000 and the Hornady eld-x 212s and try my hand at some load development. Am I going to be best served to buy the Hornady reloading manual for starting load data?
Federal brass tends to be pretty soft. I've had much better luck with Nosler, Winchester, Remington and Hornady brass. Hornady tends to be on the soft side but I don't find that to be much of an issue.

Their precision Hunter Ammo shot very well for me in both the WM and RUM in four different rifles so it's well worth a look.

Once you've worked up to a hundred rounds of once fired brass you'll be ready to get started reloading.

Yes, you should reload. It allows you to control the variables, save money, and tailor the load to the rifle. The 300 makes sense just from a cost perspective. BTW; 215 Berger H1000 Nosler Brass Federal Primer are amazing for this cartridge.

I handload. I enjoy it and it certainly brings the best out of my rifles.

But I am seeing more and more better shooters (200-600 yards) at my club using factory and just factory. Even the hunters who go out west.

Many use Blackhills and Federal. Nosler is a favorite for hunting.

Depends on how much shooting you want to do. Depends on how much time you have to devote to handloading. And hand loading ain't cheap when done right.

I would not rule out factory. Try a box of this and that. Do a Google and see what that rifle likes. This ain't rocket science..

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.