New to the 300 win, reload or factory to start?

Interesting.... So can you recommend a reasonably priced die set? I've read aboutnthe full length bushing dies by Redding but wasn't sure if there was a more wallet friendly version made by say Hornady or RCBS.

I have all 3 you mentioned but I like the Redding dies the most, followed by Hornady, and RCBS. One thing I did with all my reloading dies is replace the lock rings with Hornady's sure lock rings (https://www.hornady.com/reloading/dies/individual-dies-and-accessories/#!/).

One thing I did with all my reloading dies is replace the lock rings with Hornady's sure lock rings (https://www.hornady.com/reloading/dies/individual-dies-and-accessories/#!/).
This^^^^- I can not recommend doing this enough. I, too, have these lock rings in all of my Redding and RCBS dies. I haven't measured it scientifically, but to me they feel more secure and they have the added benefit of NOT forcing a locking screw into the threads of the dies. I have an old set of RCBS dies that I kept the original locking ring on and the threads definitely showed damage from that method, so I switched to the Hornady rings and haven't had a problem since.

Interesting.... So can you recommend a reasonably priced die set? I've read aboutnthe full length bushing dies by Redding but wasn't sure if there was a more wallet friendly version made by say Hornady or RCBS.
I'm sure there are better and more expensive die sets but I have had good luck with the Hornady Match Grade dies. I bought them a few years ago and just haven't felt the need to spend more money to upgrade yet. I have 2 custom 300 win mags that I load for and both shoot from .25 - .38 MOA on paper at 200 yards and on a great day for me I was able to shoot 3 hot groups with each rifle from .45 - .61 MOA at 973 yards. That was my best day, I consistently can shoot both rifles sub MOA out to 1,000 yards.

To me this argument is kinda like the brass argument. Is there better, more expensive brass (Lapua, etc) yes. I elect to buy cheaper brass and invest my time in the prep of it. In the end I think I end up with an equal product. I also enjoy doing all that. It gives me more confidence when I shoot that I and the wind are the main variables.

Hornady dies
Berger 215 OTM Hybrid
H-1000 powder 76.5 - 76.8 gr
Winchester brass, annealed, neck turned, primer pocket squared, flash hole de-burred, every third firing collet resizing die, head spaced on shoulder -.002 using Full Length sizing die every time.

R-Bros LWLRH 300WM
27" Broughton Barrel
Berger 215 Hybrid
Win Brass
3064 fps

Customized Mod 70
27" Shilen Match barrel
Berger 215 Hybrid
Win Brass
3007 fps

That dude talking about stop neck-sizing is full of crap. Don't believe everything you see or hear on the internet. No one method is any better than the other...Find which one works best for you and your rifle, and stick with it. I prefer neck-sizing for all my precision bolt-action rifles.

First the BR guys were saying always FL size your brass. Then next decade they say, neck-size only. Then bump-sizing. Then back to FL sizing. Then back to neck-sizing. Etc...Etc...Etc..

If you try to keep up with what the "pros" say to do, you'll constantly be buying and selling equipment, and lining the pockets of CEO's everywhere.

If you find something that works, stick with it, regardless of what some "pro" says.

That dude talking about stop neck-sizing is full of crap. Don't believe everything you see or hear on the internet. No one method is any better than the other...Find which one works best for you and your rifle, and stick with it. I prefer neck-sizing for all my precision bolt-action rifles.

First the BR guys were saying always FL size your brass. Then next decade they say, neck-size only. Then bump-sizing. Then back to FL sizing. Then back to neck-sizing. Etc...Etc...Etc..

If you try to keep up with what the "pros" say to do, you'll constantly be buying and selling equipment, and lining the pockets of CEO's everywhere.

If you find something that works, stick with it, regardless of what some "pro" says.
Hahaha Eric is full of crap!!!
One of the most decorated shooters in the industry.http://www.lapua.com/en/lapua-team/lapua-team-usa/erik-cortina.html

I'm not talking about just him... I'm talking about folks that say things like that, in general.
You said "that guy".
I'm all for doing what you want. It's your brass/rifle.
But calling someone full of crap, without researching his resume really is petty.
When you stack up record after record, medal after medal and get on the same level as Eric, then you might be entitled to say he's full of crap. I suggest you don't though because that reveals character.
When someone has a different opinion than you, you may want to research before calling them out.
I read the opening of your post, and didn't even bother to read the rest. With replies like that, it will be a popular trend with me.

Just scored some brass from Natchez. Looks pretty nice, will report back my findings.
Sig Sauer Unprimed Rifle Brass Cartridge Cases .300 Win Mag 50/ct XIBR2033 2 $70.58

The difference in me and other people, is that I don't give a rat's *** what someone else's credentials are...And it has absolutely ZERO to do with my ego.

Famous or not, records and trophies or not, they're just people like you and me. The second you start putting others on a pedestal, you are basically prostrating yourself to them, and saying they're better than you. All men are created equal, and nobody is any better than anyone else, regardless of how good their accomplishments are. That's like saying a rich person is a better human being than a homeless person, simply because they have more money. That would be a very asinine presumption to make, right? Because the rich guy might be a complete scumbag, and the homeless person might be a disabled veteran who got injured saving dozens of lives...

When a person says something like "STOP NECK-SIZING YOUR BRASS!" it's the same thing as yall are chastising me for, but for saying the opposite...Having an outspoken opinion. But because he's famous, and I'm a nobody, you believe him over me. Which is perfectly fine, because I don't need verification from strangers on the internet... But the hypocrisy is palpable.

So, get out all the popcorn you want, make all the snide remarks you want, and continue letting folks know that they're above you and better than you. But, as for me, I'll take the good with the bad, throw in some experience, mix it all together, and form my own opinions and conclusions. ;)

Yall have a good one.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.