New to the 300 win, reload or factory to start?

The difference in me and other people, is that I don't give a rat's *** what someone else's credentials are...And it has absolutely ZERO to do with my ego.

Famous or not, records and trophies or not, they're just people like you and me. The second you start putting others on a pedestal, you are basically prostrating yourself to them, and saying they're better than you. All men are created equal, and nobody is any better than anyone else, regardless of how good their accomplishments are. That's like saying a rich person is a better human being than a homeless person, simply because they have more money. That would be a very asinine presumption to make, right? Because the rich guy might be a complete scumbag, and the homeless person might be a disabled veteran who got injured saving dozens of lives...

When a person says something like "STOP NECK-SIZING YOUR BRASS!" it's the same thing as yall are chastising me for, but for saying the opposite...Having an outspoken opinion.

So, get out all the popcorn you want, make all the snide remarks you want, and continue letting folks know that they're above you and better than you. But, as for me, I'll take the good with the bad, throw in some experience, mix it all together, and form my own opinions and conclusions. ;)

Yall have a good one.
I wholeheartedly stand by my original post.

Feenix, Gohring, and several other members have always butted-heads with me on this forum on several topics. But in the end, I still respect them and their opinions and for what they bring to this forum. Sometimes we don't get along, but it's temporary on my end. There's never any hatred being harbored here, just a disagreement. And if you grew up in a very passionately-opinionated family, like I did, you learn that in life, disagreeing and arguments are going to happen a lot...But in the end, it's always important to remain friends. :cool:

We all have some experience to add to the conversation.
I personally don't feel I'm better than anybody. I don't put people on a pedestal, but someone like Eric, puts himself on a pedestal when he wins as much as he does. He in my opinion deserves some respect, I admire him in his accomplishments, that I myself would love to have achieved.

I agree completely. Respect is most-definitely earned, and his accomplishments do deserve respect. Looking back, I probably could have worded my initial post a bit differently... Where I draw the line, is when folks immediately think of an accomplished person as being the most knowledgeable or the final say on certain things. It was nothing personal about Eric, I would have said the same thing if it was someone's very first YT video, and they've never even shot a rifle in a comp before. It was a generalization about how people react to when someone famous says something, versus someone who isn't. People tend to gravitate to the famous person's opinion, and completely ignores the unknown's opinion, even if it might be correct or better (not saying that it is in this specific case, just generalizing).

Your both right !!! Next Question ? Remember newbies need all the info n support we can muster /Misters still the Best Forum Period !!!

This is my first post so be gentle.

I have started reloading about 1 1/2 years ago and have made every mistake possible but still have all of my fingers.

One thing I have found is never use just one of the data books to start your loading. I have found that some of the maximum loads have been up to 4 gns difference. I assume that the barrels(not rifles) of the bullet companies are very close tolerance and have different maximums with the same powder.
What I do is take the average of the maximum load in my 5 books and then drop 3gns lower to start. Then I work up with .5gn increases. This is what I do and it seems to work for me.

Welcome!!! ....What calibers & what cartridges , have you loaded & noticed any difference in weight of cartridge brass from different manufacturers , do you cross reference reloading steps per /different manuals? Yes/ no is fine tell your mistakes optional but would help other new reloaders that read this , give some pro"s of your learning to reload ,all questions are optional but could help other newbies ...... Thk you read ,question ,question ,read. Fyi when I started bac in 78 reloading there were no 1/800 call help reloading lines, I read everything on the subject Icould get,just saying not complaining ,at gunshops I'd listen when seniors were talking reloading, then I'd excuse myself to them and ask questions that had me stumped,didn't have time to go to range cause I was always working , found luls around some holidays where I could shoot , still remember my 1st reloads fired at about 330 yds into a 5 gallon old gas can ,empty yes I thought JackO'Connor was rite there with me shooting my BDL Remington 270 Winchester groups were10.5 wide by 11.0 tall 5 shots , man I was thrilled & all by my self ,took 20 minutes walking fast to get there In a question ? Mark trail enjoy learn & thanks !

There's a ton of really good factory ammo out there for the Winny and of course getting started reloading is not inexpensive.

That being the case why not start out with good quality factory ammo and while you're building your skills you can build up a good supply of once fired brass and pick up what you need for reloading a little bit at a time so it doesn't take too big of a bite out of your overall budget?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.