CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take a V6 out of a vehicle and insert a V8 and wonder why the back tires are wore out.
I get that, but 460 rounds is horrible barrel life!?

With DEs experience with +P, would they be promoting it knowing of such poor barrel life?
I had considered doing a +P so would really like to know if this was due to throat design or metallurgical.

It'd be interesting to know what Bartlien did to confirm that the metallurgy was correct.

Where was the +P section before you put the 1st round? More specific, how long was the original +P section before you fired the 1st round?

I've often wondered how the throat looks on those..
My understanding is that they are around 3/4" in length and in a .30 cal the land to land dimension is around .304" vs the normal .300".

With DEs experience with +P, would they be promoting it knowing of such poor barrel life?
I had considered doing a +P so would really like to know if this was due to throat design or metallurgical.

It'd be interesting to know what Bartlien did to confirm that the metallurgy was correct.
Speed is not free!
I know a guy who toasted a 26 Nos barrel in 200 rounds

Last edited:

They did not test the barrel for metallurgy, at least if they did, they did not say. They simply came up with a list of things in order to deny service. I would have liked to know the same thing

"N570 you say"

Yes, Defensive Edge blamed his short throat life on the N570. But the owner had a number of prior 338 LAI barrels running N570, and only the +P Defensive Edge throat lasted less than 400 rounds. I think it was actually more like 250 rounds fired when some loss of precision was first noted.

He barely got the bore broken in on the +P throat. Double checked his reloading process, and tried tweaking his loads, not realizing the leade was gone. Precision turned to awful. That's when the rifle was sent back to Defensive Edge and he learned the throat/leade was gone. And he was then told his use of N570 caused the short throat/leade life.

Solution? Buy a new replacement barrel and incur the full cost for fitting the new barrel to the action, all over again. He chose a standard 1.5-degree leade on his replacement barrel. No more +P throats.

33 cal bores generally have considerably improved throat/leade life over 30 cal bores. But not necessarily with the +P throat. At least not with this barrel.

Some will share their experience of shortened throat/lead life with +P chambers. I suspect some don't, so as to not stir up the hornet nest.

Sorry, but I have to side with the Bartlien. You take a cartridge with a well known attribute of short barrel life, you then hot rod the heck out of it and modify the barrel on top of that with a +P chamber, and wonder why they don't want to stand behind the outcome. Consider this expensive research into your chosen cartridge and configuration. There is no free lunch, more speed costs barrel life, period!

You say you will stick to the facts, but it is eminently clear you are trying to blame Bartlien for bad metallurgy, cause nothing you did could really have caused wear that rapid. I would bet large amounts of money this is the only barrel out of that batch that came back for premature throat wear.

Cost to develop this new setup is on you.

Last edited:
The barrel burning up quick on a 300rum with +p sounds about right to me. I reserve my bigger rifles and they have standard throats. If I want to just punch paper at a couple hundred yards a standard chambering like a 270 or 35 Whelen comes out to play.
In my experience an overbore like the 7rum, 7stw, or 300rum does a heck of a good job at tearing away the throat with ZERO help from an overzealous gunsmith with a reamer. I didn't even have my 'smith throat my 7rum standard when he re-barreled it a few years back; I left it short throat. It's nearly warn enough to jack up the powder charges and I'm only a few hundred rounds in.

Status
Not open for further replies.