throat erosion ?

Caleb85

I have put about 80 rounds of 168gr VLD through my 7mm this summer and in that time I have lost 6 thousands out of my throat! !!.. is this common with the burgers and or 66 gr. Of H1000?. Has anyone else seen this problem?

This is normal, expect to see this continue, it may or may not proceed at the same rate, but it WILL proceed.

Cheers.
gun)

Now this rifle has sen around 800 to 1000 rounds..but I didn't notice the erosion. I used a OAL tool at the start of the summer to load my vld's and I just used it again and the throat is 6 thousands longer then it was 80 rounds ago. It's been mostly all group shooting and my shooting rate is what I would say normal ..i do remember one time I got the barrel hot but I don't normally .

A friend shoots 1000 BR with a 300 win mag improved. He would make the comment that he would chase the throat with every match. They shoot a few rounds as sighters then shoot 10 for record with those big guns. So perhaps as many as 15 rounds were sent downrange in just a few minutes.

At least your rifle is showing this wear at a slower rate. Of course if you don't shoot it much it can last for years.

I wouldn't be too concerned yet. I have a bore scope and have inspected my 257 weatherby and a 6mm-284 that both have around 1000 rounds through them and are horribly eroded with a great deal of heat cracking WAY up the barrel. They are much harder to clean BUT they still shoot quite well. I have new barrels waiting to replace them and keep wondering when that will happen.

Ya I think I might take barrel off and keep it so with my son is old enough to shoot, he can shoot it out and have a barrel that says "sendero" on it ...cuz what 14 year old don't want a factory sendero! !?:D. But anyway thanks for the replys but I'm not chasing or setting the barrle back, just one more project! !

I shoot 1000yrd comp here in Australia with 2 distinct cartridges, the 300WM and 338 Edge, in my early days I would chase the lands, to no avail. I would have to start working loads again every time I did this. David Tubb has done several articles on this, as well as barrel contours away from the norm that shoot lights out even though they're lightweight.
Now, I don't even take notice of the amount of erosion, if vertical stringing starts plagueing my groups, I check velocity, if it's dropped, I work back up to the previous known velocity and test for groups. This normally sees me where I was without any tweaking needed.
Now, not to be condescending at all, if your rifle isn't a highly tuned custom gun, then either chasing the lands or my above method may make little difference to your outcome, accuracy will slowly drop off and will never come back. I have had very good accuracy out of a 300 barrel well past 1500 rounds, it all boils down to care and regular cleaning, but not excessive cleaning.

Cheers.
gun)

See your original question was worded poorly in that you implied 6thou erosion in just 80rnds fired through the barrel. Not ~1080 rounds.
It is normal for erosion to hold-off a while and then accelerate. The acceleration will continue to climb until eventual accuracy loss.

MagnumManiac,

Thanks for your explanation. Also good to hear that you bump powder charges to get back to the original velocity'grouping. I will have to remember that, in fact your comments will be put into my documents for future reference.

I was never one to chase lands and never noticed a deterioration in accuracy but then again my rifles are hunting/varmint rifles. I mentioned my friend chasing the lands to explain to the OP that it isn't an uncommon thing to have throat erosion.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.