Measuring throat erosion.

FearNoWind, in your example where best WAS 5thou off(OTL), and you had logged & set your seating to achieve this, that seating will remain as best for the life of a barrel. That the relationship changes with erosion -doesn't matter a bit.
There is never a need to 'chase lands' here.

For those who think in the lands(ITL), or actual soft seating(jammed) is best, well it probably never was for a hunting capacity cartridge.
These conditions are needed for pressure tune, for underbore cartridges(competitive), and would represent a precarious condition at best(tail chasing) for hunting capacities and high erosion.
Maybe this is where someone would worry about actually measuring erosion.
I don't know, I wouldn't put myself there.

A lot of hunters shoot with Berger VLD and other bullets in the rifling. A lot of guns shoot best there and if you got enough neck tension won't let a bullet stick. Going in 5 in a lot of guns don't raise the pressure what the ballistic programs say. If you chrono it you will see. Going in doesn't make a big increase in velocity so it also can't be a big increase in pressure. I read an article were the guy used the strain gauges and the most pressure was when they really jumped the bullet because they used up the capacity in the case. I am sure if you google it you can find it. Matt

There is little point in arguing with Mickcr.

He has formed an opinion and will not be persuaded.

Best to carry on with the methods proved and used by others rather than the OP mentioned expert (drip under pressure) and the Mikecr expert.

It does matter, exactly as described. :p

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.