Custom Wildcat 2 Years in the Making

.300 Dakota

So I finally finished it tonight! This project started on the drawing board 2 years ago this month, and kicked off with dummy rounds being sent to Preferred Barrel Blanks in Utah along with the order for a barrel. This design isn't really a long range cartridge. Rather, it's intended to kill adequately out to 500 yards (which for down here is LONG RANGE!) on deer-sized game. It was born out of necessity. Due to the shortage, there was little to find in the way of ammunition or reloading components. Good 6.5 bullets were scarce, as were many more, but there was a plethora of lighter-for-caliber .277" bullets locally. You could generally find Creedmoor brass in some form or another without looking too hard, so it was the natural choice for the parent case. The rationale was that if you had a "Creedmoor" in every caliber, you could find some bullet to stuff into one version or the other. Instead of adding to the confusion of cartridge nomenclature, I opted for a unique name to explain the cartridge's existence: The .270 SDC. SDC stands for Southen Deer Cartridge, and is designed specifically around the Nosler 130 grain Ballistic Tip, the Hornady 120 grain 6.8mm SST, and the 110 grain Barnes Tipped Triple Shock. It has a 25" magnum sporter contour with 1:10" twist. It is bolted to a Boyd's Shadow Camo Heritage laminate stock with 1" Pachmeyer recoil pad and a 13 3/4" Length of Pull. The chincy plastic trigger guard was swapped out for a Boyd's metal trigger guard. The factory trigger (non-AccuTrigger) was overhauled with a MCARBO lightweight spring kit reducing the atrocious 6+ lb factory trigger pull weight down to an astounding 1 3/4 lbs. A precision machined barrel nut from E. Arthur Brown Company (EABCO) was used to snug the action in place, which was minimally headspaced using only a Go Guage and a piece of Scotch tape on the head for a No-Go. This method yields headspacing in the 0.002" range. The short and heavy factory bolt handle was replaced with a lighter weight stainless one from Anarchy Outdoors in Utah, which matched the bead blasted barrel finish. Trying to go as light as possible without sacrificing the budget or compromising quality, a carbon fiber bolt knob from Lumley Arms USA added both a cool look to the project and a larger tactical style positive gripping surface for fast operation. This reduced weight significantly and enabled faster tactile field manipulation.

Pro Precision Rifles, LLC of eastern Oregon provided the bolt fluting to add style and significantly reduce weight again. They are one of 2 shops in the US that I would trust to flute a Savage bolt sleeve. Obviously, they nailed it.

Custom Gun Coatings and Repair of Mobile, AL Cerakoted the metal surfaces before assembly. As usual, the work it impeccable!

The barrel channel on the Boyd's stock had to be hand sanded by yours truly to get a good free-floating fit to the larger-than-factory barrel. I was also responsible for final assembly and setting the headspace using a barrel nut wrench and barrel vise from Northland Shooters Supply and a Defiance action wrench. It does take a little time to get things perfect when it comes to the headspacing.

The throat of the barrel is cut for the 3 bullets mentioned above to seat within .030" - .050" off the lands without intruding on the powder space below the neck/shoulder junction on the case. With the appropriate propellants, the cartridge is expected to send these projectiles downrange at speeds that will allow them to reach 500 yards with a flatter trajectory than a factory .270 Winchester could attain with factory ammo. This is no small feat for the much smaller cartridge! Everything is optimized to facilitate performance, from the cartridge design to the barrel length, so it will be interesting to see how it performs on range day.

The package is enhanced with a set of Warne Maxima steel scope bases that were Cerakoted to match the action and trigger guard. Including the bases and the 4-round detachable magazine, total curb weight tops out at 7 pounds, 10 ounces. Savage builds generally go 8 pounds or slightly more, so there was some benefit to the weight reduction steps taken in the design and build. 2 or 3 ounces more could have been shaved by having the barrel fluted, but this would have added greatly to the cost and time. Can't wait to get a scope mounted and get to the range to test fire for the first time. Some thought has been put into ammo design, so there should be some decent numbers to post on range day barring a design flaw in the barrel somewhere. We did have some big hiccups in the machining process, so it remains to be seen as to whether function follows form. Stay tuned for accuracy testing!

Attachments

• 20220515_222722.jpg
    20220515_222722.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 327
  • 20220515_224832.jpg
    20220515_224832.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 289
  • 20220515_224850.jpg
    20220515_224850.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 286
  • 20220515_224914.jpg
    20220515_224914.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 284
  • 20220515_224921.jpg
    20220515_224921.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 275
  • 20220515_225019.jpg
    20220515_225019.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 268
  • 20220515_225122.jpg
    20220515_225122.jpg
    440.1 KB · Views: 261
  • 20220515_225045.jpg
    20220515_225045.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 262
  • 20220515_224948.jpg
    20220515_224948.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
It was born out of necessity.

I have been looking through some of the offers from Nosler regarding their bullet selection and noticed that the .270 variety was in surplus from both Nosler and SPS while the other calibers were lacking. That alone is supporting your choice for a cartridge. While I am not a fan of .270 anything, your cartridge does attain the goals you set out for the design, use what's available.

Best of Luck!

:)

I have been looking through some of the offers from Nosler regarding their bullet selection and noticed that the .270 variety was in surplus from both Nosler and SPS while the other calibers were lacking. That alone is supporting your choice for a cartridge. While I am not a fan of .270 anything, your cartridge does attain the goals you set out for the design, use what's available.

Best of Luck!

:)
Exactly! My biggest challenge to loading accurately is the lack of dies available. It is easy enough to switch the sizer button on a 6.5 Creed die and expand/true the necks on new brass, but seating was a little different. Obviously this was a budget project, so a great fix for this and other potential wildcat loading problems is the Frankford Arsenal Universal seating kit. It's essentially a competition die that uses collets to switch bore diameter and comes with different seating stems, so it works on calibers .22 thru .338. It uses a micrometer to fine tune seating depth, and greatly increses efficiency for single stage users like me. You get the whole kit on Amazon or Optics Planet for $65.99. One Redding seater die would cost more than that. I'll try to get some load info posted as soon as is available.

Use to (couple years ago) I could build one of these minus the fluted bolt sleeve for under $1k. Not anymore. I think I have around $1400 or so into this one, and it's not a precision long range gnat killer, but it definitely turns some heads at the range and previous models have all shot sub-1/2 MOA down into the .1s. This is my first Preferred barrel, and we had some major hiccups getting it done and into my hands. I can say the threads are cut to tight tolerance, amd the finish is nice. The crown looks great. Other than that, you know as much about it as I do. I am a bit nervous considering the history of its production and shipping, but I am leeping my fingers crossed. If it fails, I can always rebarrel with Criterion or PVA.

Exactly! My biggest challenge to loading accurately is the lack of dies available. It is easy enough to switch the sizer button on a 6.5 Creed die and expand/true the necks on new brass, but seating was a little different. Obviously this was a budget project, so a great fix for this and other potential wildcat loading problems is the Frankford Arsenal Universal seating kit. It's essentially a competition die that uses collets to switch bore diameter and comes with different seating stems, so it works on calibers .22 thru .338. It uses a micrometer to fine tune seating depth, and greatly increses efficiency for single stage users like me. You get the whole kit on Amazon or Optics Planet for $65.99. One Redding seater die would cost more than that. I'll try to get some load info posted as soon as is available.

Use to (couple years ago) I could build one of these minus the fluted bolt sleeve for under $1k. Not anymore. I think I have around $1400 or so into this one, and it's not a precision long range gnat killer, but it definitely turns some heads at the range and previous models have all shot sub-1/2 MOA down into the .1s. This is my first Preferred barrel, and we had some major hiccups getting it done and into my hands. I can say the threads are cut to tight tolerance, amd the finish is nice. The crown looks great. Other than that, you know as much about it as I do. I am a bit nervous considering the history of its production and shipping, but I am leeping my fingers crossed. If it fails, I can always rebarrel with Criterion or PVA.
What are the case/cartridge specs and/or based from?

The cartridge is simply a necked up 6.5 Creedmoor with special throating for up to 130gr Ballistic Tip. I had access to lots of those and lots of 110gr Barnes TTSX, some 110gr Accubonds and a few 120gr 6.8 SSTs. Right around the .400 BC area give or take depending on the exact bullet.

Last edited:
The cartridge is simply a necked up 6.5 Creedmoor with special throating for up to 130gr Ballistic Tip. I had access to lots of those and lots of 110gr Barnes TTSX, some 110gr Accubonds and a few 120gr 6.8 SSTs. Right around the .400 BC area five or take depending on the exact bullet.
2.800 to 2.830 coal? A little more capacity could be by necking down 7mm08 and still shoot lite. I like your thinking and idea. A 6.8cm is born.

2.800 to 2.830 coal? A little more capacity could be by necking down 7mm08 and still shoot lite. I like your thinking and idea. A 6.8cm is born.
The Creedmoor runs around 2000 ft-lbs max avg pressure higher than the .260 or 7-08. While they burn a little more powder, the Creedmoor does more with what it burns. I couldn't find 7-08 brass when I designed it, or I'd likely just have made a 7-08. The rifle was originally a 6.5 Creedmoor, so I have the option to switch back to the factory barrel (although it won't fit as well in the stock). I have a good start on the Creedmoor family. I have a .22, 6mm, 6.5, and now 6.8 with a specially designed .25 reamer with gauges on hand. It's just about impossibe to find a 1:9 .257 bore barrel. All custom builds that would take some months. I actually found a 20" 1:9 pre-fit on McGowen's site chambered in .257 Roberts in a Savage small shank factory sporter contour and jumped on it. The bluing isn't very good, so I'll have to have it coated, and am planning to have it fluted, also. Should have been sent off a month ago. I wasn't crazy about the 20" barrel, but figured since I was a .250 Savage fan, it wouldn't be too bad. I've been able to find 117gr GameKings and some 120gr Partitions and Grand Slams, along with some 115gr VLDs and BSTs. I am thinking it will be ok.

I've found lots of 7-08 brass since the design of the .270 SDC, and bought a Browning Eclipse (X-Bolt) so chambered with brake and 24" barrel, which delivers my remaining 140gr Woodleighs into little tiny clusters with StaBall. So the new wildcat is perhaps no longer needed as much it was, but it sure is cool to finally put your hands on something you designed and assembled in its finished form ready for work. An heirloom for sure!

The Creedmoor runs around 2000 ft-lbs max avg pressure higher than the .260 or 7-08. While they burn a little more powder, the Creedmoor does more with what it burns. I couldn't find 7-08 brass when I designed it, or I'd likely just have made a 7-08. The rifle was originally a 6.5 Creedmoor, so I have the option to switch back to the factory barrel (although it won't fit as well in the stock). I have a good start on the Creedmoor family. I have a .22, 6mm, 6.5, and now 6.8 with a specially designed .25 reamer with gauges on hand. It's just about impossibe to find a 1:9 .257 bore barrel. All custom builds that would take some months. I actually found a 20" 1:9 pre-fit on McGowen's site chambered in .257 Roberts in a Savage small shank factory sporter contour and jumped on it. The bluing isn't very good, so I'll have to have it coated, and am planning to have it fluted, also. Should have been sent off a month ago. I wasn't crazy about the 20" barrel, but figured since I was a .250 Savage fan, it wouldn't be too bad. I've been able to find 117gr GameKings and some 120gr Partitions and Grand Slams, along with some 115gr VLDs and BSTs. I am thinking it will be ok.

I've found lots of 7-08 brass since the design of the .270 SDC, and bought a Browning Eclipse (X-Bolt) so chambered with brake and 24" barrel, which delivers my remaining 140gr Woodleighs into little tiny clusters with StaBall. So the new wildcat is perhaps no longer needed as much it was, but it sure is cool to finally put your hands on something you designed and assembled in its finished form ready for work. An heirloom for sure!
Outstanding!

With the appropriate propellants, the cartridge is expected to send these projectiles downrange at speeds that will allow them to reach 500 yards with a flatter trajectory than a factory .270 Winchester could attain with factory ammo.
Interesting cartridge, I have a fondness for the .270 Win. I've often wondered about doing something similar, akin to the .270 Titus. I've kind of quit playing the wildcat game because of work schedules and component shortages.

What kind of MV speeds are you expecting and what factory ammunition are you comparing it to? I see getting a flatter trajectory than a .270 as a good thing but it might be a little optimistic in practice. The only way to a flatter trajectory is a faster MV with like bullets for a true comparison. However, if you can save a MOA of drop at 500 yards it will be extremely impressive.

Last edited:
Interesting cartridge, I have a fondness for the .270 Win. I've often wondered about doing something similar akin to the .270 Titus. I've kind of quit playing the wildcat game because of work schedules and component shortages.

What kind of MV speeds are you expecting and what factory ammunition are you comparing it to? I see getting a flatter trajectory than a .270 as a good thing but it might be a little optimistic in practice. The only way to a flatter trajectory is a faster MV with like bullets for a true comparison. However, if you can save a MOA of drop at 500 yards it will be extremely impressive.
True! It might be optimistic. I'm comparing to the run of the mill 130gr Core-Lokt, Power Point, Hornady Frontier 130gr BTSP, or even other factory rounds including boattails. A Superformance round or other round using high energy propellant (there are a few) it will not outrun. The rounds I'm referring to advertise muzzle velocity at 3060ft/s or thereabouts. I'm expecting change over 3100 with the 130 grain and up to 3250 - 3300 with the 110 TTSX and something in between with anything else. Looking at 6.5 Creedmoor data, Inshould be able to get there with 25" barrel and the right powder. We will see. I'm mot going to blow primers trying to make it, though. If it does, it does, and vice versa. It will depend on the barrel, I'm sure. I believe it has 5R rifling, which doesn't really help, but doesn't hurt, either.

Cool one of a kind rifle. When someone at the range asked what you are shooting you will most definitely have something to talk about. I've always been somewhat of a unconventional in calibers. Been known to whack Southern whitetails with a 375 HH. Tough on both of our shoulders.
I've shot wild pigs in Arkansas with a .375 Ruger... I understand. It was more of a test for the bullet I loaded than fear of the pig not dying easily. (Although I did have a 650lb boar in the Cumberlands look at me without flinching and start to sprint requiring a follow up and almost a 3rd - shot his heart out on the first shot - using a 7 SAUM with 175gr Partitions). I've found good 6mm bullets going really fast (3350+) and 6.5 - 6.8mm bullets that expand rapidly shot at any velocity from 2700 - 3300 put down whitetail and mule deer for me faster than anything else. Bigger calibers kill, but there's usually a blood trail, and smaller, slower calibers kill, though not as dramatically.

I'm thinking LeverEvolution, Power Pro 2000, H380, H414, Big Game, N540, and as high as RL 16 or as low as 203B are going to be the superstars of the loading endeavor.

Nice job. Good to hear about a wildcat with a lot practical reasoning behind it. Too many seem to seek some theoretical, extreme goal. But it keeps the conversations flowing. Your comments on pressure were spot on. The Creedmoor was deigned to to be accurate and efficient, so it is a good framework for wildcatting.