Wildcat Help!

ishootkittens

Hey guys, been a while. Was hoping I could do what I usually do and come here for some good advice. Been throwing an idea around with some buddies about a wildcat case design and while it's not exactly for long range shooting, I was hoping you guys could help me get started.

I have used some "commercial" dies in order to try and produce a few dummy rounds but none come out exactly the way I want it too. Shoulder always looks a tad funny and with the dies I have they are obviously not made specifically for what I have in mind! I don't have any software or programs to help me out and I want to make sure I get it right the first time so I don't want to Guestimate the exact dimensions of the case...So what do I do?

For all the wildcatters out there, where do I start? Thnks as always guys. Don't know where I'd be without yal

Cody

1) Draw up a cartridge schematic with dimensions. Good software helps, like QuickDesign, RCBS Cartridge Designer, etc...

2) Then send that cartridge drawing to a reamer manufacturer (Manson, PTG, etc...), and tell them what type of chamber you want (standard tolerances, tight match tolerances, etc...) and your COAL to the lands. And any other info they will ask you. The reamer manufacturer knows how much tolerance to allow for to make your particular chamber reamer. If you use PTG, Kiff can also make you a die set using your chamber specs, and he can adjust the tolerances for perfect re-sizing of brass. Not sure if Dave Manson can or not, never talked with him, but I hear he does awesome work.

3) Then once you have the reamer in-hand, chamber the rifle.

4) Then, carefully size some brass close to your desired specs and fireform a few cases (about 5) and load and shoot them about 3 times to be sure the cases are fully-formed to your new chamber.

5) Then send those 5 pieces of brass (or however many the custom die manufacturer needs) and have them cut you a set of dies. Redding, Whidden, and several others can make you custom dies. They know how to measure to tolerance dimensions, just like the reamer manufacturer does when he cuts your chamber finish reamer for your new wildcat.

Another option to save a few steps would be to talk to the reamer manufacturer and/or the die manufacturer, and ask them if they can simply make a set of dies based off your original cartridge drawing you made. Then you can skip steps 4 & 5, and save the fire-forming process for your new wildcat once you get your new rifle and dies in-hand.

Also, if this is your first wildcat, be VERY careful with load workup. If it is a completely new cartridge and not just an "improved" version of a cartridge, then you will need to know H2O capacities and lots of other data of your newly formed brass, and you will need to run sims with a program like QuickLoad to determine your safe zone and where to start. If it is an improved version of a cartridge, then you can use the SAAMI cartridge load data's starter loads from the reloading manuals, and then slowly work-up from there.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the parent-cartridge for the wildcat?

Start with the action and cartridge size. I wanted to use a six lug Weatherby but wanted .264 Win Mag performance. I searched for a cartridge with the right or close head diameter and the length of case. The 9.3X64 fit the bill. The bolt was opened only .030" and maybe the 'smith fooled with the feed rails I don't know. It's called 6.5 SLR.
But ready to go with a 5-25X52 scope it weighs 6 lb 13 oz. That includes a 26" barrel. Proof Research made the stock. Now there are other companies making stocks in the twenty to twenty-four ounce range.

Another one I wanted was a much larger case. I started with the normal magnum head of .532" and long case. Staying with a 6.5mm bore I necked down either a .300 RUM or a 7RUM to 6.5mm and pushed the shoulder back about .100" to get a longer neck. 140 grain bullets average over 3,400 feet per second from a 28" barrel. It's called 6.5RUMLN. (Now one can just buy a 6.5-.300 Weatherby.)

You have to have something in mind so you know when you are close and then narrow down from there.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.