Custom under $3K

AKBman

I know you get what you pay for, but I'm not sure I believe I can reliably get to a grand with my Ruger M77 MKII. I want to stick to the 300 Win Mag, I am heavily invested reloading wise in the 300. Shooting a group, not a pattern at 1000 yards is a lifelong dream, I have wasted a lot of money buying guns that I wanted at the time, if I had invested that money in a custom rifle, I would have saved a lot of money and effort. I shot the Ruger at 650 yesterday, it shot a decent group of a little over 3", unfortunately I had failed to return my scope to zero last time out, and so my group was 17" to the right. I just purchased a new Leica 1600B last week, and it proved to be a bit discouraging to realize just how far 1000 yards really is, and ranging a target at 1620 was a real eye opener. Anyhow, I was hoping to put my rifle in a new stock, add new optics, and eventually a new longer barrel, but I am thinking my money would be better spent on a new custom rifle. I guess I cling to the Ruger because it is the rifle I hunted Alaska with for 4 years, harvested caribou and a single grizzly bear, so we have history, but unfortunately I'm not getting any younger, so time isn't on my side.

Thank you!! Been reading about this since you gave me this link. Dream about a custom, but this is about a third of the least expensive one I have seen.

Don't get tricked into dropping what budget you have on a factory rifle, it's going to suck the whole rest of your budget trying to get to the ranges a quality precision built rifle will day one. I keep reading the same links to the same guns, just how may of these guys actually have put that rifle to 1000 yards, how about 1760 yards? How was the consistency from cold bore to round 5 at a mile? How much $$ and effort per 100 yards of range?

I wish I had all the money and time back from screwing around with even the best factory rifles trying to get them to come close to what I see from even simple custom builds, you have some budget to work with don't sell yourself short because you can have something almost what you want sooner!

Don't get tricked into dropping what budget you have on a factory rifle, it's going to suck the whole rest of your budget trying to get to the ranges a quality precision built rifle will day one. I keep reading the same links to the same guns, just how may of these guys actually have put that rifle to 1000 yards, how about 1760 yards? How was the consistency from cold bore to round 5 at a mile? How much $$ and effort per 100 yards of range?

I wish I had all the money and time back from screwing around with even the best factory rifles trying to get them to come close to what I see from even simple custom builds, you have some budget to work with don't sell yourself short because you can have something almost what you want sooner!

I'm sorry, but nobody is tricking anybody... If I had never owned one, and told someone I did, then that would be trickery. But I have 2 of them sitting in my safe, so I never tricked anybody or lied.

We don't all have a 1 mile stretch available in our backyard, like you do.

I'll end with this...

Just because something costs a lot doesn't always make it better.

WBM, I would like to hang on to it if I can, we have been through a lot together. I would like to say that those are typical results, but they aren't, some days it will shoot a 1/2" at 100, some days its 1 1/4", shoots much better since I worked the trigger over. It has been a great hunting rifle, never taken any game at long range, but out to 300 it has always hit with authority. I'm just looking to shoot a grand, it has been a dream for a long time.

The only downside I see to the Remington, is the weight, but if I'm not packing it for miles, that won't be a real consideration. Several other websites have provided useful inputs on the MilSpec. It would certainly be easier to set up for long range shooting. Being that it will be some time before I have the funds to think about either direction.

Greetings,
Hart 1:8 twist-$320.
Crown, Chamber, Threaded, Tued, Bedded, and Cerakoted-$750.
Mcmillan stock-$577

This was on a 1978 Remington 700 LA I had.

It is very doable.

Shane

Heck. My current project is on a stiller action and it is coming in well below 3k. Stiller, bartlein, jewell, mcmillan= 2k just add gunsmith and scope. Thats all new parts, used you can knock off a few hundo for sure.

I'm not saying you can't get a good long range rig on a factory platform, but once you push the range you'll be putting money into it to get that next few hundred yards, the Remington Long Range is an excellent example but the bedding block is not in square with the receivers so you absolutely have to bed them to get consistency but even then my personal one was a tomato stake. I have a 5R in the shop right now that has had a lot of tricks put on it but still won't pull a MOA group. I've built a simple long range 300 win mag that within 50 rounds we were holding MOA at just under 2000 yards sub 1/2 800 yards, 338 RUM's that are in the .3's with no load development just my favorite load, the list goes on with just super easy going shooting, makes learning and shooting at long range much funner and much more enjoyable!!
Current build in the shop right now is a full custom, Stiller, Brux barrel, Timney trigger, Muscle brake, sweet Hart stock with bedding block out the door at $2400. Shopping for parts and hitting sales can really get you some solid quality parts!

At my age, and no better than my muscle mass is, I think 1000 yards is a pretty lofty goal. The more research I do, the more I am torn on caliber selection, I am invested in the 300 Win Mag, but the more I read about the terminal ballistics of the faster 7mms, the more I wonder if that wouldn't be the smart way to go. In the end, I am going to have to choose what to liquidate to even get this venture off the ground. I still haven't ruled out a build on my Ruger, I see some good results people are having, no it isn't a Stiller, but it is a good solid nearly indestructible action. I think given the results I often get with this rifle, a decent stock would go a long way towards improving the accuracy of the shooter, it would allow me a more consistent cheek weld without having to hunt around. I could then look at getting some accurizing done, and a longer better barrel. All in all, I am battling my lack of patience, and the fact that I am not getting any younger.

i have 3 7mm and 3 300. the 300 kicks a little more. even with a break , which i would definetly get. i would get a 300 wm since you are already have one. rem 5-r, sendero or long range.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.