Custom under $3K

Weight for me is a double edged sword, I plan on hunting elk, deer, and oryx with this rifle. While my mind says I want a 8-9# rifle to hep with recoil, my back and knees scream 6#s. I really do plan on sticking with the 1000 yards give or take range, more like a 700 yard circle for big game hunting unless I can become very confident beyond that. If I can get my current rifle on target (going to recheck zero this weekend) at 650, then before the winds of Spring arrive in Southern New Mexico, I am going to try a grand, well 1078 yards to be exact. Now, this is of course contingent upon shooting at least 1 MOA at 650 for 5 shots or more, any bigger group than that and to me the longer shooting would be pointless.

A 6# 300wm does not sound like fun at all. I have a 7.5# no break and that's light enough. Def get a break for that thing.

i would respectfully add my advice
if i had 3k to spend all in
i would call brian at shoot long and tell him you need a 1000 yard hammer all in
i bet you all the money i have he will say no problem i can do it for less.
he is a really upstanding guy and excellent craftsman.
he has done 6 or 7 guns for me and accursed a handful as well
he is really a super throwback to the days when a guy gave a **** about his customer
also no 2 god darned year wait........
shoot long .com

Look the LPR classic....have never shot one but everyone talks about how great their Lane Precision Rifle is...I think the classic comes in right around $3k. And his lead time is around 6 months which is hard to beat for a custom rifle.

i would respectfully add my advice
if i had 3k to spend all in
i would call brian at shoot long and tell him you need a 1000 yard hammer all in
i bet you all the money i have he will say no problem i can do it for less.
he is a really upstanding guy and excellent craftsman.
he has done 6 or 7 guns for me and accursed a handful as well
he is really a super throwback to the days when a guy gave a **** about his customer
also no 2 god darned year wait........
shoot long .com

Reminds me of my old smith and my new smith. Old smith retired, so went to the guy he recommended, which is only 15 mins away from my driveway. Both just love guns and shooting. And that's why they don't charge retarded prices for what they do.

This just isn't that easy, every single rifle I have read about has for the most part glowing reports from the majority of people who shoot them. Even the Remington has gotten a thumbs up from people I know who shoot it, and I do trust them. The thought of a custom is very nice, with two kids in college, I may need to kick that one down the road. I'm think $2K with optic included sounds better than 2 to 3 K without any optics.

Last edited:
This just isn't that easy, every single rifle I have read about has for the most part glowing reports from the majority of people who shoot them. Even the Remington has gotten a thumbs up from people I know who shoot it, and I do trust them. The thought of a custom is very nice, with two kids in college, I may need to kick that one down the road. I'm think $2K with optic included sounds better than 2 to 3 K without any optics.

If you were on a $2K budget including optics. This is my recommendation.

5R MilSpec (with Jewell trigger) with a Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50, with an EGW HD 20 MOA rail, and Seekins Precision 30mm low rings will be a nasty combo...

If you were on a $3K budget with optics, I would order this: http://www.swpcustom.com/stpkg.html , order a Manners stock, then top it off with the same Viper HS-T scope, and Seekins rings.

Or watch the classifieds.

If I were in your situation I would keep a close eye out for what you want. Grab them as you go and build down the road. But I will admit that stiller package is nice, I may have a creedmoor in my sights sooner than later depending on what other packages they offer.

**dang.. its only a mag + .30 barrel

Or watch the classifieds.

If I were in your situation I would keep a close eye out for what you want. Grab them as you go and build down the road. But I will admit that stiller package is nice, I may have a creedmoor in my sights sooner than later depending on what other packages they offer.

**dang.. its only a mag + .30 barrel

Yep... If it were offered in a 7mm 1:9 barrel, I'd order one when my income tax comes in. But I see it says, "No Substitutions" at the bottom.

AK.. I just went back and read your first post. You're shooting ~3" at 650, there is no reason to reinvent the wheel. Save your money, maybe get the scope that tickles your fancy and call it a day. Worry about a new rifle until A) you can comfortably afford it... B) too good of deal to pass.. C) your current barrel starts going to shhhhtt... D) one of your soon to be college grads wants to thank you :D..

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.