New rifle under 800

slamminsalmon

OK so I'm looking for a new rifle my wife is going to get me for Christmas lol. I "need" something in the 22-250 to 243 range. Possibly even 25-06. It will be primarily for coyotes. I know its not enough for a custom build so please help me with a caliber and manufacturer. Thanks guys.

There are some good deals on rifles...but a Remington 700 is tough to beat. I bought a 700 adk varmint in 243 (they also had then in 223, 22-250 and 308) at Dicks Sporting goods last weekend. They had them on sale for $449. They also sell a version called the 700 long range which comes with a B&C Medalist m40 stock for around $680. That one is available in 25-06. They are pretty decent rifle for the price and they make a great foundation if you decide later you want to build a custom rifle.

As far as caliber goes...I think you can see where my bias is. 243 is not very flashy but they do a great job in the small varmint to big varmint range. If you handload your choices are pretty extensive and components are readily available.

Thanks guys. I had been looking at that rem 700 m40. It appears to be a nice piece. As far as caliber ( yes I reload) how close can I get the 243 to the 240 weatherby? Because I was also looking at the new vangaurd s2 in 240 weatherby.

Thanks guys. I had been looking at that rem 700 m40. It appears to be a nice piece. As far as caliber ( yes I reload) how close can I get the 243 to the 240 weatherby? Because I was also looking at the new vangaurd s2 in 240 weatherby but brass price and the fact that I already have 243 dies has me leaning that direction.

I'm not sure how close you can get the 243win to a 240 Wby but I do know it wouldn't be worth the price difference in brass for me to go 240 wby. Plus 243 ammo is available just about anywhere and 240wby is not all that common.

if you want 240 wthby speed , get a 700 long range in 25-05. if that is not enough rechamber it to .257 wtherby.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.