Custom under $3K

I know I'm new here but I'm in the process of talking to a gun smith at weaver rifles the smith name is Kevin. He is a very good man to talk to. I to am on a budget on a build and my wife told me to try to stay around 3k myself. But with the build I'm doing and due to the action I'm gonna use which is a weatherby mark v. Wit what I choose it gonna cost me a little over 3k he said about 3400k. That's with out scope. But his pack starts of at 2200.00 and you supply the action. Weaver Rifles Web
I'm gonna base my build with the .270wtby. Good luck in your choice and whichever way you go enjoy it.

I know I'm new here but I'm in the process of talking to a gun smith at weaver rifles the smith name is Kevin. He is a very good man to talk to. I to am on a budget on a build and my wife told me to try to stay around 3k myself. But with the build I'm doing and due to the action I'm gonna use which is a weatherby mark v. Wit what I choose it gonna cost me a little over 3k he said about 3400k. That's with out scope. But his pack starts of at 2200.00 and you supply the action. Weaver Rifles Web
I'm gonna base my build with the .270wtby. Good luck in your choice and whichever way you go enjoy it.

You are supplying the action? If yes, and its still costing over 3k without optics?!?

I was thinking it, but not saying it... Seems awefully **** pricey to me for you supplying the action.

Pricey? Sounds like cuddle struggle to me. Not to mention on the link the groups are less than impressive for that kind of $$. But if the customers are happy who am I to judge?

Pricey? Sounds like cuddle struggle to me. Not to mention on the link the groups are less than impressive for that kind of $$. But if the customers are happy who am I to judge?
I've seen the groups my rifles put out that my smith has built me, and the ones my smith's BR guns put out... For his ultra-low prices, I am HOOKED. His HR 1K BR gun is a .300 Ackley, and he can put 5 shots in 1, not 1 ragged, but in ONE hole at 400 yards. I've seen the target myself with my own 2 eyes. I wouldn't have beleived it if I had not seen it.

Which is what led me to become obsessed with the .300 Ackley...Which led to the building of mine. Which has led to what Phil Robertson calls, "Happy happy happy..." :D

The prices look in line with a smith that has a lot of business doing that level of work, lotta repeat builds, BR guns and groups in the low .2's, I'd be happy with a number of those guns for that price.

Man, I got a lot more input than I was expecting, talk about some dark and dangerous waters! Heck, even if I had $3K cash in hand, you gents would ensure I needed 12K with all of the different Smiths and options! A slight 4-5 month vacation may put this on hold anyhow if I get the notification here in the next month, so I may have time to save, save, save. I really do appreciate the time each of you took to reply to this thread, because of you enablers, I now know a good deal more about the custom rifle market.

I have looked at purchasing a custom myself, before I started gathering parts for my build. think about this.
you are supplying the action.
900.00 - Vortex 6x24x50
Brux Barrel - 325
Manners stock - 560.00 + or-
Smith work - truing, blueprinting of action, chambering, threading, cutting and crowning of barrel, bedding of action in stock, test firing 850.00
Vortex precision 30mm ring 179.00
Total for my build 2814.00
Now that number can be tweaked to drop the price by different scope, less expensive rings. Point is, a build close to the 2K mark is absolutely doable. Besides, there is alot of pride in telling someone that you designed the rifle that is now shooting a 1/2 min group at 1K.
Just my 2 cents. What ever you decide, have fun, and stay safe.

You know, I just happened to run across this video a couple weeks ago... This guy doesn't clean the copper out of his barrel on his Ruger M77 anymore and his groups dropped WAY smaller!

I had never heard of trying this before and was really surprised with his results!

Worth a try with your 300?

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.