Coyote Caliber?

I have noticed that it is true dead is dead it's just a matter of how messy you want to make it .

Gentlemen,

With woodchucks coming out, I plan to use them as coyote bait. I'll be shooting at 50 yards, at night with a red light. My rifle choices are:

AR-223, 18" Wydle SS sporter barrel, shooting a 52g Berger FB Varmint.
CZ 527 in 223, 22" regular barrel, shooting a 52g Berger FB Varmint.
Remington 700 in 243AI, 26" semi-heavy barrel, shooting a 80g Berger FB Varmint. (Soon to be a 62g Barnes V. Grenade.)
CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel, 26" Varmint barrel, shooting a 90g Speer TNT/95g Vmax.

My first choice is the AR...my question: does the 223 have enough killing power for coyotes?
I really like the .204 with a nosler varmint tip ! Good at over 3000fps and will kill a coyote dead at long range

Gentlemen,

With woodchucks coming out, I plan to use them as coyote bait. I'll be shooting at 50 yards, at night with a red light. My rifle choices are:

AR-223, 18" Wydle SS sporter barrel, shooting a 52g Berger FB Varmint.
CZ 527 in 223, 22" regular barrel, shooting a 52g Berger FB Varmint.
Remington 700 in 243AI, 26" semi-heavy barrel, shooting a 80g Berger FB Varmint. (Soon to be a 62g Barnes V. Grenade.)
CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel, 26" Varmint barrel, shooting a 90g Speer TNT/95g Vmax.

My first choice is the AR...my question: does the 223 have enough killing power for coyotes?
Update...sifting through all you guys' responses, I have temporarily dropped the AR. Mainly because it's sighted in with a 52g Berger bullet. Once I get a heavier bullet developed (currently don't have any heavy bullets), I'll redlight it up and give it a go.

I'm not lugging my 13# Remington 243AI 26" heavy barreled rifle around in the dark.

So I redlighted my 6.5 Grendel, resighted it in @ 50 yards (was 1/4" @ 100 yards), staked a woodchuck/roadkilled coon, lightly covered both with some Coyote Joy Juice (to bring in their noses) at about 40 yards from my blind. I Trail Cammed the bait to see if/when they come in. (First night after setup, a skunk & a coon came in, no coyotes.)

I'll update as things progress.

Thanks to all for the insight!

223 should work just fine.

50 yard bait pile at night using a lights, I would use whatever has the least powered optic because I'd bet they'll start running when the light starts burning more than likely. AR will offer the faster follow up.

Recent Posts