Coyote Caliber Dialing Long Distance

Given equal cases (.22 Creed vs. 6 Creed), there's no way you can drive a .22 90 grainer as fast as the 6 can run a 105… at least not at equal pressure.
I'm running 90gr bergers over 3200fps. My load is definitely over book data but doesn't seem to be making to much pressure

I'll always pick a 6mm over a .22 cal for coyote work. The 6mms hit noticeably harder, especially as ranges increase.

Given equal cases (.22 Creed vs. 6 Creed), there's no way you can drive a .22 90 grainer as fast as the 6 can run a 105… at least not at equal pressure.

The whole "barrel burner" thing is a dumb argument. I've heard that my whole life…. from at least 100 different people. I've met maybe a dozen people in my life who've actually shot the barrel off a gun… and in almost all cases, it was a "match" gun. That's where the barrel burner reputation came from, match shooting, where you fire all 10 of your shots quickly, before atmospherics change. Treat a barrel right, and you'll get twice the life out whatever caliber.

Shooting the barrel off a gun, is one of the best investments a guy can make. There's a reason that barrels have threads on the end…. so you can screw a new one on when shoot the old one out.

Building a rifle to handle coyotes from 10 - 1000 yards…. is like trying to buy a truck that will tow 10,000 pounds, get 30 mpg, ride like a Cadillac, and get you way back in the hills.
Well I can understand and appreciate what you're saying, but newbies like me and others are always going to ask questions, just the way it is, how else will we know. As stated in the earlier posts, some of us just like to think we can burn a yote @ a 1000 yrds, until we learn, that maybe we can't find that particular rifle.
But whether you agree or disagree with the barrel burning comment, we all have the right to think different without another person saying it's a dumb idea, or making a mean, nasty comment. I've proven people wrong in the past, and I've been proven wrong in the past. That's part of Life.

Last edited:
So you have no idea.

Could be 80k psi….. but if the brass is fine, then that's ok?
I guess I could have worded that more carefully. No one has data for the combination I am shooting. The closest is some Data from Hodgdon for 90gr A-tips and it's only slightly over that, (0.5gr) I seriously doubt it's making any insane amount of pressure.

The barrel burning argument is ALWAYS dumb…. when talking hunting rifles.

Just out of curiosity…. how many of those who subscribe to the barrel burner theory…. have ever shot a rifle to the point of barrel replacement? The only rifles I ever shot out, saw serious prairie dog town use.

Just out of curiosity…. how many of those who subscribe to the barrel burner theory…. have ever shot a rifle to the point of barrel replacement? The only rifles I ever shot out, saw serious prairie dog town use.
In your opinion, in which you're entitled to, I'd just use different wording, it's hard to be nice.

Hey…. "Serious Doubt" counts as "science" now, just ask Faucci.
The actual science involves having a chamber cut with the same reamer and sending the ammo to a pressure testing facility and paying to have it tested, almost no one does that. Even the top shooters in the world rely on brass feedback to tell them when they see pressure. I haven't heard of any F-class shooters blowing themselves up lately.

I do agree that lots of people won't shoot out a barrel. I had a 300 RUM barrel that had some really bad throat erosion and it would still hold 3/4" groups.

I have, "Shot Out', 2 Barrels, so far and, hope to, shoot out, a couple, more ! ( Usually, I Traded / Sold, the Rifle, before, wearing out Bbl. )
I've "Burned Thru", a .270 WBY Mag. barrel at, around, 900 Rounds and had, a .22-250 Rem. "go' at, 2,300 Rounds !
Group's DOUBLED, in both Rifle's,.. almost, over Night and to to Me, "only Accurate Rifles, are,.. interesting" !
The 6 XC will last, from, 1,800 to 2,200 of, Accurate, rounds ( Sub, 1/2 MOA ). The Rifle, now shoot's, One Hole, group's, in the .2's and .3's
The .22 Creed Barrel's with, 80's and 90's at 3,200 FPS+ ( surely, a "Lazer" ) 950 to maybe, 1,200, "Accurate", Rounds.
ALL, Rifle Bullets, NEED to be, "Dialed" anyway, at, some distance from, the Muzzle as, Gravity "works' on them, all,.. Immediately.
Assuming that, you guys, have heard about,.. Gravity, right ?
Just putting, a Little bit of, Logic and Common Sense, to this,.. "Subject"
Yeah, I know, the .22 Creed is,.. "Trendy" and you guys, JUST gotta "Go" faster than, your friend's Rifle's for, Bragging Rights !
Us old experienced guys, don't need, the Bragging Rights, anymore, but do Like to, hold on to our Money, a lil' Bit,.. Longer.
An extra, Click, Click,.. dead,.. Coyote !
Thank you,.. MI.264 for your Kind words and use of, Common sense !

Last edited:
Lots of articles showing how "brass feedback" is erroneous at best.

Look, everyone gets to decide where safe is for themselves. But, that wasn't my point, was it?

HOPING to get, some Logic thru to, some of, you guys !
6 MM's an extra,. Click, Click,.. bang !
Keep um, Barrel's, TWICE as Long !
You'll be old,. some Day,. lol
Yup, English punctuation, wasn't my strong suit, Ballistic's, Re-loading and Gun Smithing, were.
Memorized most of the Velocities and started Reloading Cart's, with my Dad, in the Mid 1950's
Shot Coyotes with,.. .22 LR, .22 Win. Mag, .22-250 Rem, .223, .243 win, .270 Wby, .30-06, 12 and 20 gauge shotguns, while Chuckar hunting ( lip called them in ). A Hot load of, #6's or, copper #5's did, the trick !

Last edited: