Copper projectile for elk/ western hunting?

Wife and I have killed quite a few critters over the years with Barnes bullets in 6.5 and .30 cal, so we are biased toward the Barnes.

Specifically the 180TSX in .300WinMag and 127LRX in the 6.5 ManBun. Am about to do load development with the 175LRX in the .300WM.

Only bullet we ever recovered was a 127LRX that passed thru a Whitetail on a 300yd shot, severed its heart in two, and lodged about 6" deep in the dirt bank behind it. Wife found it and dug it up while I was field dressing him.

Looked just like the picture on the box.

Attachments

• Resized_20201115_152234.jpeg
    Resized_20201115_152234.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 39
Then maybe you answered your own question…for long barrels and suppressors. On the other hand, I can see lots of benefits like hearing protection, less chance of spooking game if a follow up shot is needed and ability to communicate with hunting partner or guide more effectively since you may not need ear plugs . Just a couple of benef

Electronic head phones are the best answer. You can turn them up and hear better and never worry about anyone shooting.

The 180 TTSX is an awesome bullet, and I have a lot of confidence in it with my 300 Win mag. I carry this rifle more than any other than I own, and have taken a lot of animals with it. Just know your limits. For me 600 yards is max range I have set for myself with this combo. I feel confident that the bullet will expand given its velocity out to this distance.

See, I don't think a 2" difference in barrel length+suppressor is going to change a thing.
I think to see a sizable difference, you would need to go to a 20".

And/Or

Buy a much shorter can.

26" + 9" can
Vs
20" + 6" can will be very noticable
Plan on losing 150+ fps though. Which translates to at least 150yds of lethal range. So make sure you run those numbers.
Excellent advice of real world differences. 150fps or 150 yards difference dont mean much in a hunting situation. Unless you obsessed with killing critters at 1k plus the velocity losses from short barrels is meaningless.

As for bullets they will both work fine. It's just a matter if you prefer smaller wound channel with more penetration or big wound channel and less penetration. We shot EDLX through shoulders or elk and oryx with no problem, but we also don't shoot them at blazing speeds where they could over fragment before they get enough penetration.

I don't like monos because of the small wound channels but they work just fine when you hit where your supposed to.

The 180 TTSX is an awesome bullet, and I have a lot of confidence in it with my 300 Win mag. I carry this rifle more than any other than I own, and have taken a lot of animals with it. Just know your limits. For me 600 yards is max range I have set for myself with this combo. I feel confident that the bullet will expand given its velocity out to this distance.
I believe both the 180TSX and 180TTSX will expand at impact velocity as low as 1500 fps.

I believe both the 180TSX and 180TTSX will expand at impact velocity as low as 1500 fps.

I may be incorrect, wow a first for me ….but I think it's a bit higher than than. I think that the LRX's are supposed to expand at lower velocities, perhaps to 1500 fps.

Though, different calibers have different expansion velocity windows! memtb

Last edited:
I agree with others. If the 180 Barnes shoots good why switch. I think it really depends on your hunting style as to which bullet to choose.

I switched my 300 Win Mag over to a 168 HHT Hammer from the 215 Berger this year. Unfortunately I didn't get an elk to see how the HHT performed. I changed bullets only because we were seeing way to much blood shot and lost meat with the 215 Berger. No lost animals and it is a great killing bullet. Our average shots on elk has been 300 yds the last 10 years.

I am able to shoot the 168 HHT at 3321 FPS out of a 10 twist Brux at 26" long. If you're not shooting far I think I'd stick with the Barnes. With the ELDX you may see similar results like I did with the 215.

Then maybe you answered your own question…for long barrels and suppressors. On the other hand, I can see lots of benefits like hearing protection, less chance of spooking game if a follow up shot is needed and ability to communicate with hunting partner or guide more effectively since you may not need ear plugs . Just a couple of benefits.
The ELDX and TTSX I can see have 2 very different I guess mechanism of injury, what's more valuable penetration or leaving the most energy on target as possible. What worries me is the blood trail if I don't get a pass through. But then again 300 wm is no slouch either way right?

Recent Posts