Copper projectile for elk/ western hunting?

See, I don't think a 2" difference in barrel length+suppressor is going to change a thing.
I think to see a sizable difference, you would need to go to a 20".

And/Or

Buy a much shorter can.

26" + 9" can
Vs
20" + 6" can will be very noticable
Plan on losing 150+ fps though. Which translates to at least 150yds of lethal range. So make sure you run those numbers.
Great point!

A guess long story short place the shot where it needs to be and the animal won't tell the difference. It was strange, my rifle shot the 180 ELDX sub Moa, switched lots and I couldn't get it to group. The rifle doesn't seem to like anything over the 180-190 range. Very interesting 26 in 1:10 twist pretty standard

I may be incorrect, wow a first for me ….but I think it'sa bit higher than than. I think that the LRX's are supposed to expand at lower velocities, perhaps to 1500 fps.

Though, different calibers have different expansion velocity windows! memtb
Barnes doesn't publish those velocity/ expansion numbers, but will provide them for the specific bullets you request if you call or email them.

The 180TTSX I am pretty sure but not 100% certain, because i dont shoot it, but the 180TSX I am 100% sure that number is 1500fps.

I'll check my notes when I get home.

Still got a couple boxes of 180TSX that I made when I worked there.

Barnes doesn't publish those velocity/ expansion numbers, but will provide them for the specific bullets you request if you call or email them.

The 180TTSX I am pretty sure but not 100% certain, because i dont shoot it, but the 180TSX I am 100% sure that number is 1500fps.

I'll check my notes when I get home.

Still got a couple boxes of 180TSX that I made when I worked there.

I'll call them anyway. I'm pretty certain that all of their stuff has been thoroughly tested…..it shouldn't be that hard to them to provide that data with each bullet type/caliber/ weight!

They've always been very helpful in the past when I called….hopefully it's not too much to ask of them to provide this little piece of information on it's website. memtb

I'll call them anyway. I'm pretty certain that all of their stuff has been thoroughly tested…..it shouldn't be that hard to them to provide that data with each bullet type/caliber/ weight!

They've always been very helpful in the past when I called….hopefully it's not too much to ask of them to provide this little piece of information on it's website. memtb
"Thoroughly tested"- yes, very thoroughly, both for function and for accuracy. Multiple times during each run of bullets.

I don't know why they don't publish the data, but they have a whole lot of SKUs and things change/ get tweaked/ improved from time to time, would probably be a PITA to keep up with.

Found my notes, only have data for the ones we shoot. These are the lower velocity limits.

264 120 TTSX 1700
264 127 LRX 1600
308 165 TTSX 1800
308 175 LRX 1500
308 180 TSX 1500

Marc Wow - Thanks….. those are pretty good numbers, if accurate! And I want to believe that they are a# Barnes has been my only bullet used for hunting since around '91 or '92.

I'll call and ask for the minimum expansion velocities for mine and my wife's bullets! In stead of here say, I'll get it from the "horse's mouth"! memtb

Marc Wow - Thanks….. those are pretty good numbers, if accurate! And I want to believe that they are a# Barnes has been my only bullet used for hunting since around '91 or '92.

I'll call and ask for the minimum expansion velocities for mine and my wife's bullets! In stead of here say, I'll get it from the "horse's mouth"! memtb
No problem. Those are the numbers I got from Alan @ Barnes Customer Service.
When I was at Barnes, Alan worked in the Lab. He knows his shiznit.

It's been many years since I was there, visited with Randy and his wife a few times at the shop…..they were really good folks.

I've also called several times over the years for some technical data and to beg for them to make a heavier, much higher BC bullet than the .375 - 250 TTSX. They finally answered my prayers…..after I gave up and bought a near lifetime supply of the darn 250's! 🤦‍♂️ memtb

Also how do we feel about suppressors on 26 in barrels? Went on an elk hunt last year and felt like I had an antenna on my back
See, I don't think a 2" difference in barrel length+suppressor is going to change a thing.
I think to see a sizable difference, you would need to go to a 20".

And/Or

Buy a much shorter can.

26" + 9" can
Vs
20" + 6" can will be very noticable
Plan on losing 150+ fps though. Which translates to at least 150yds of lethal range. So make sure you run those numbers.
Great point!
Or have a folding stock.

1705757700055.jpeg

1705757495915.jpeg

Last edited: