Barrel length for western hunting

It really depends on the terrain and distances you'll be hunting. Where I've hunted I could be in dense woods with 300 yard clear cut, or out in the desert with maybe 600 yards being the closest shot. But I've been wanting a 26" 7mm RM for a long time. A 26" 280 Remington would probably work (for me) too.

This is one subject that I have never figured out. I've been every where from 22 inches plus brake to 26 inches plus brake. There have been advantages and disadvantages to all them. The only 2 conclusions I have come to are 1. I'm going to drive my wife crazy. 2. My favorite rifle is the one I have in my hands when I'm out there. Hunt safe, shoot straight and be careful.

The reason to avoid real long barrels isn't the weight, as some suggest, they aren't much heavier. The drag with them is if you're going to spend hours walking through the timber and brush -- 26+ they really start snagging on stuff much more than 26 and under (Colorado native and done it 40 years). It can be done, it's just a bit of a hassle. Ideally you can have 2 guns and if mostly walking to a long range shooting position, use a 30" if the cartridge and slow powders can get you extra speed. Then use something 20-25" for the mixed hunting including timber etc. If one do-all gun in magnum cartridge, 25/26" is a pretty good compromise.

Once you start going under 24", you really don't need a magnum cartridge, since you'll typically get nearly the same velocity from a non-magnum chambering. Or.. you might get a wee bit more speed with a bunch more powder, most of which is expelled as extra muzzle blast. In other words, a 20" 7mm mag seems silly compared to using a non-mag that can get you about the same speed with a filled case and less muzzle blast. Just my personal observations and what I practice after a lot a mountain mileage logged. Ymmv

Last edited:
I wouldn't do less than 24" on a Magnum.
Though I haven't hunted there, in all the places I've hiked and camped on the E side of the Cascade range in OR, barrel length wouldn't be an issue.
Coastal range of Oregon? Take the thickest cedar swamp you've been in in upstate Michigan, make it denser in foliage and add steep hills. Long barrels can be a hindrance. My 26" barrel M70 would get caught on branches often. I changed to a 20" 7mm-08 Ruger Hawkeye.

I'm having a 7mm rem built for my next trip to CO. wondering if I could get some opinions of the "best" barrel length and contour. Currently have a 28in proof carbon blank in a sendero contour but it seems like it may be a little long for backpacking. Thanks In advance
This boils down to personal preference, intended purpose, rifle set-up, and what you are willing and able to haul out into the wilderness. Most of my LRs have 26-30" barrels.

.270 AI atop the mountain.jpg

(.270 AI with 30" barrel + muzzle brake)

.30 LARA 4 of 9.jpg

(.30 LARA with 27" barrel + option for muzzle brake or suppressor, buttstock folds).

These are not built for timber or quick-shot hunting, it is meant for LRH/S.

I like my barrels as long as is reasonable for where I am hunting. Want the noise as far from my ears as possible. Longer barrels are just more pleasant to shoot with less blast. I once had a 28" .308 and a 28" 300WSM with no worm holes in the end. Very nice to shoot.
I agree, that's what I like about 26" plus barrels. I'd have a hard time buying a less than 26" barrel unless it's a 22rf lol

This makes me want to take out M96 Swedish Mauser. I used to shoot a lot of positions for hunting slung, but not in awhile. The Swede with it's 29" barrel might give me an idea how cumbersome it would be to have a 28-29" barrel for hunting.

I'v found that a 27" barrel with the BIG Seven's, is perfect length, before the muzzle brake is added. I like to keep the brake length in the 2" range. With the right pack or sling system, carrying a "long" magnum rifle in any terrain is simplified.

For years I carried a 28" 7-.300 Wea. I heard about long barrels catching on things. I carried it in the Oregon woods. It was in my hands and also on my shoulder. Only one time did the barrel catch on a branch.

I've got a 26" Remington Sendero 7mm STW. I put a clamp on Witt Machine muzzle brake and never even fired it with the brake on. Way too long for my tastes hunting big corn fields out of a box blind. The 26" barrel without the brake is about Max length for me although I prefer my 22" .308 and 24" 6.5 Man Bun. I'm actually considering a 22" .270.

I have a 28" proof on my 338 Lapua AI and backpack with it all the time. I use an Eberlestock pack with the scabbard and it fits in there pretty good. I don't feel that a 28" barrel is a hindrance for most hunting situations I find myself in.
Good luck with your decision.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts