Copper projectile for elk/ western hunting?

308_Branden

New to the forum hope all is well ladies and gents. I've got a 300 wm who's pretty picky with ammo, after group testing a bunch of ammo I settled on a 180 Barnes TTSX. Gives me sub Moa groups at 100 yards and seems to fly a little over 3k fps. How do we feel about that over let's say the ELDX Loads.

Also how do we feel about suppressors on 26 in barrels? Went on an elk hunt last year and felt like I had an antenna on my back

New to the forum hope all is well ladies and gents. I've got a 300 wm who's pretty picky with ammo, after group testing a bunch of ammo I settled on a 180 Barnes TTSX. Gives me sub Moa groups at 100 yards and seems to fly a little over 3k fps. How do we feel about that over let's say the ELDX Loads.

That's like comparing apples to automobiles. LOL

The ELDX should provide more rapid expansion and a larger temporary wound channel IMO. The TTSX will penetrate from stem to stern. They will both get the job done with proper shot placement.

If you're a shoulder shooter, then the Barnes has an advantage. It will plow through the heaviest bones. If you prefer a classic behind-the-shoulder shot, I'd go with the ELDX and expect a faster incapacitation.

Just some general thoughts on those two bullets.

Also how do we feel about suppressors on 26 in barrels? Went on an elk hunt last year and felt like I had an antenna on my back
Then maybe you answered your own question…for long barrels and suppressors. On the other hand, I can see lots of benefits like hearing protection, less chance of spooking game if a follow up shot is needed and ability to communicate with hunting partner or guide more effectively since you may not need ear plugs . Just a couple of benefits.

I would shoot TTSX before ELDX in most cases.

26" plus the can is a long rifle, but you are the one who has to carry it. How do you feel about it.

My plan is to carry 2 different rifles depending on what terrain I plan to hunt. 24" 300WM with a 7" can if I plan to sit and glass with long shots. It is heavy too.

Then have a shorter lightet rifle with or possibly without can for the thicker timbered areas. I am building a 20" 9.3x62mm rifle for this task.

Suppressed is the only way to roll!
20230519_151941.jpg

I personally prefer solid coppers over lead core. I'm using Badlands bulldozer 2 along with Barnes, don't get me wrong I do use lead cores also.

Depending on if your suppressor direct thread or quick attached you may think about cutting your barrel down to 24" and if you have it on a quick attach maybe carry the suppressor separate when packing through trees areas

I personally prefer solid coppers over lead core. I'm using Badlands bulldozer 2 along with Barnes, don't get me wrong I do use lead cores also.

Depending on if your suppressor direct thread or quick attached you may think about cutting your barrel down to 24" and if you have it on a quick attach maybe carry the suppressor separate when packing through trees areas
See, I don't think a 2" difference in barrel length+suppressor is going to change a thing.
I think to see a sizable difference, you would need to go to a 20".

And/Or

Buy a much shorter can.

26" + 9" can
Vs
20" + 6" can will be very noticable
Plan on losing 150+ fps though. Which translates to at least 150yds of lethal range. So make sure you run those numbers.

See, I don't think a 2" difference in barrel length+suppressor is going to change a thing.
I think to see a sizable difference, you would need to go to a 20".

And/Or

Buy a much shorter can.

26" + 9" can
Vs
20" + 6" can will be very noticable
Plan on losing 150+ fps though. Which translates to at least 150yds of lethal range. So make sure you run those numbers.
I agree, when I had a few 26" it would have been easier for me to cut off 2" than it would have been to cut off 6". 26" with suppressor make that very muzzle heavy, 20" would definitely be better

Absolutely no contest……especially if you are offered a close range shot. Though, you must make certain that on your long shots, you keep them above (at least 200 fps IMO) the listed minimum expansion velocity.

The ELD X would be fine if you are virtually guaranteed a broadside shot at close range. It should be a pretty good bullet once you exceed the ranges at which the Barnes bullet will not reliably expand!

This quandary presents a challenge to some folks…..for me, a "no-brainer"! I just won't attempt shots beyond the expansion velocity for the Barnes. Much the same as , refusing to take a steep angled shot at close range with the ELD X. Decisions, Decisions. ☹️ memtb

I think it depends upon the type of hunting you will be doing. If open country, zero chance of walking in timber….go for the suppressor!

For me and my hunting….the following should clearly explain my feelings.
Suppressors…..only if I could get full velocity performance with a 16" barrel. Any longer than that……I'll take a hard pass. memtb