Copper projectile for elk/ western hunting?

Gday 308_brandon
Welcome from down under

Here's a couple of questions that imo need answering before one could make a more definitive answer

But I may have missed your information so please accept apology in advance if so

First & foremost what is your max range then what's your most likely range ( me personally I then asses different projectile capabilities on the WHOLE spectrum of capabilities of that particular pill not just the good it's the less than ideal I pay attention to but let's leave that alone for a touch )

Once you work those out the next step a ballistic chart

This is where I vary from a lot of guys I don't rely on what any company gives as a min or maximum velocity impact as what I've found is that's usually flaunt with danger especially when you take the variable resistances on a critter @ various impacts also what happens in a hunting environment not the ideal that some are blessed to achieve

Thanks for the update on not a reloader yet & your use of factory ammo
That makes it a lot easier to work out when using the triangle some of us speak of

if you would like to update your max range & most likely range , the terrain you hunt in also has a bearing if you would like to delve a bit deeper as that also has a lot to consider but the first 2 are mandatory imo before a more definitive recommendation could be given

Cheers

Not just yet, I certainly wouldn't start hand loading with 300 wm. I plan to start with my 308 to get into it.
Start with what is available. Primers and powder are going to be the difficult components. When you start loading you will find yourself getting more consistent groupings, and be able to load different bullets that may not be offered. And eventually save some money

I have shot a lot of stuff with copper bullets and definitely prefer them for my high velocity guns. Although in my 300blk and 6.8spc Barnes have done really well also

Suppressors in the timber I like short barrels 20" or less in the desert I don't mind 26" + the can

Gday 308_brandon
Welcome from down under

Here's a couple of questions that imo need answering before one could make a more definitive answer

But I may have missed your information so please accept apology in advance if so

First & foremost what is your max range then what's your most likely range ( me personally I then asses different projectile capabilities on the WHOLE spectrum of capabilities of that particular pill not just the good it's the less than ideal I pay attention to but let's leave that alone for a touch )

Once you work those out the next step a ballistic chart

This is where I vary from a lot of guys I don't rely on what any company gives as a min or maximum velocity impact as what I've found is that's usually flaunt with danger especially when you take the variable resistances on a critter @ various impacts also what happens in a hunting environment not the ideal that some are blessed to achieve

Thanks for the update on not a reloader yet & your use of factory ammo
That makes it a lot easier to work out when using the triangle some of us speak of

if you would like to update your max range & most likely range , the terrain you hunt in also has a bearing if you would like to delve a bit deeper as that also has a lot to consider but the first 2 are mandatory imo before a more definitive recommendation could be given

Cheers
Great question. So I feel comfortable at this time anything 600 and in I'll be honest any further than that and it's not fair for the animal, since judging wind is my main issue for now. And the terrain would be mountainous since we hunt elk in Colorado and Wyoming for now!

Gday 308_Brandon
Thanks for that
Now we have something to work off that will be way easier to give a more detailed response but I'll have to come back asap as milking my cows @ present & need to go back over my data sheets & do some tables up but if you could share the actual factory ammo you've used that would help heaps & save me a bit of time going back through the thread as I'm sure you put it in here somewhere 🤞

Cheers
Great question. So I feel comfortable at this time anything 600 and in I'll be honest any further than that and it's not fair for the animal, since judging wind is my main issue for now. And the terrain would be mountainous since we hunt elk in Colorado and Wyoming for now!

Gday 308_Brandon
Thanks for that
Now we have something to work off that will be way easier to give a more detailed response but I'll have to come back asap as milking my cows @ present & need to go back over my data sheets & do some tables up but if you could share the actual factory ammo you've used that would help heaps & save me a bit of time going back through the thread as I'm sure you put it in here somewhere 🤞

Cheers
Yea man so I'm shooting Barnes factory 180 300 wm with the TTSX projectile! Sub moa all day long

Gday 308_Brandon
So when you break this down the following is how I look @ things & is from the most reliable outcome off my data sheets that has contained a fair number of critters ( not as high of a base as some of my numbers with some pills but still a very good number representation imo that patterns have shown up with those particular pills I won't quote numbers these days here as that causes friction with a few so I'll just steer clear of that sorry ) on various impacts angles & resistances

got the 600 max thanks
I didn't catch your average shot so I'll assume around 300 based off a couple polls I've seen

I used 2 of the eldx factory ammo 178&200 off the hornady website calculator
& vortex 180ttsx off jbm icalculator

So breaking these down
Once again before I get a few in here in a huff over the following I am looking for the most consistent pill which includes various resistances various impacts that I believe happens in hunting situations , well they have shown to me it does happen but some others that have a different view that's cool & good on them

Moving forward the most consistent pill is going to be the 180ttsx as @ the most likely assumed impact range of 300 your still in a very good impact velocity window with that pill & really it's not until you get to around the 360 yard mark that the ttsx starts to show it's starting to drop off quickly from a preformance level that gives us the animal reactions & not until you get to around the 500 mark this drops off a lot quicker & by 565 to 600 expect way longer impact to tip especially on low resistance & the did I hit that critter reaction or lack of it that shows up way more on these velocity impacts & the ttsx more so

The other one you won't have any concerns with is as due to mountain hunting is if a elk comes up or down & presents a close shot sub 100 don't be concerned as that ttsx will get through no issues on the whole ( I'll leave the ever so subtle issues with polymer tips that both the ttsx & eldx have
But that's for another day

Hope that helps & just my position others have theirs & ultimately yours will be final & wish you the best on what you choose & please report back on how things went once you secure your critter

Cheers

Gday 308_Brandon
So when you break this down the following is how I look @ things & is from the most reliable outcome off my data sheets that has contained a fair number of critters ( not as high of a base as some of my numbers with some pills but still a very good number representation imo that patterns have shown up with those particular pills I won't quote numbers these days here as that causes friction with a few so I'll just steer clear of that sorry ) on various impacts angles & resistances

got the 600 max thanks
I didn't catch your average shot so I'll assume around 300 based off a couple polls I've seen

I used 2 of the eldx factory ammo 178&200 off the hornady website calculator
& vortex 180ttsx off jbm icalculator

So breaking these down
Once again before I get a few in here in a huff over the following I am looking for the most consistent pill which includes various resistances various impacts that I believe happens in hunting situations , well they have shown to me it does happen but some others that have a different view that's cool & good on them

Moving forward the most consistent pill is going to be the 180ttsx as @ the most likely assumed impact range of 300 your still in a very good impact velocity window with that pill & really it's not until you get to around the 360 yard mark that the ttsx starts to show it's starting to drop off quickly from a preformance level that gives us the animal reactions & not until you get to around the 500 mark this drops off a lot quicker & by 565 to 600 expect way longer impact to tip especially on low resistance & the did I hit that critter reaction or lack of it that shows up way more on these velocity impacts & the ttsx more so

The other one you won't have any concerns with is as due to mountain hunting is if a elk comes up or down & presents a close shot sub 100 don't be concerned as that ttsx will get through no issues on the whole ( I'll leave the ever so subtle issues with polymer tips that both the ttsx & eldx have
But that's for another day

Hope that helps & just my position others have theirs & ultimately yours will be final & wish you the best on what you choose & please report back on how things went once you secure your critter

Cheers

Thank you for all the info!!!!! I think at the end of the day a lot of guys here mentioned shoot what your rifle likes best. And I think for now that's the TTSX luckily I got a lot of it for a good price lol. And I know it'll get the job done. With proper shot placement of course. Thank you sir

Thank you for all the info!!!!! I think at the end of the day a lot of guys here mentioned shoot what your rifle likes best. And I think for now that's the TTSX luckily I got a lot of it for a good price lol. And I know it'll get the job done. With proper shot placement of course. Thank you sir
Gday 303_ Brandon
You are welcome & I look forward to hearing your success
Pics please
Cheers