converting a .30-.378 to a .338-.378

Laker_Taker

Can anyone tell me if I can take my throat erroded .30-.378 and have a gunsmith convert it to a .338-.378. Also is there any danger in this or should I just buy a new barrel and what is the price to change this over. and does anybody have know somebody in the midwest that can do this for me?

Thanks Aaron

With the price of new match grade barrels these days, it is not really practical to rebore and rerifle a smaller bored barrel to a larger one. Just cheaper to buy a new barrel and the performacne of that barrel will be vastly superior to a rebored barrel anyway.

The 338-378 will be a drop in fit to the 30-378 rifle with a rebarrel job.

Kirby Allen(50)

Fiftydriver's right. Get a new barrel.

When a drilled barrel blank is rifled, the first inch or so at each end has irregular bore, groove and rifling angle dimensions. That happens because the pilots and guides for the rifling tools run out of hole to keep them properly aligned. The back end of a freshly made barrel gets cleaned up by the chambering reamer. The front end gets cut off an inch and crowned by the person fitting the barrel.

Which means reboring and re-rifling your barrel to a larger caliber would result in a less accurate rifle.

I have a 28 inch barrel on my 30-378. I've really flattened some primers tuning in 200, 220. 240 grain bullets. So when my barrel goes I was going to put on a 30 inch tube 6.5 pound target barrel in 338-378. I've got a couple hundred cases that just need to be expanded to 338.

I don't know much about barrels. Does anyone here have a suggestion on what kind to buy? This is a weatherby and I have a brake on it I would like to have a brake on the .338-.378. Also any suggestions on the length leave it at 28?

Thanks Aaron

Any good barrel company is the way to go.(Hart,Lilja,Rock, Krieger, Lawton, PacNor) Stay with a 10 twist as your prolly going to be shooting the 300gr or heavier bullets. 28" is fine, depending on what your going to use the rifle for, carry, longrange, ect. I have built many of them with 26" bbls+brake for carry rifles on elk hunts. You can expect around 2900fps with a 26" bbl with the 300grn pill. Longer bbl will get you into the 3000 range.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.