Building a 30-378

bobbyd30378

Hey Guys, im new to this forum and am seeking some advice. I am a big fan of the 30-378 as a long range hunting rifle, as so,.....im gonna build 1, but bare in mind this is my first build. Im leaning toward building it around the Surgeon XL action with a 28" to 30" Krieger fluted bbl @ a 1/10 twist, what would be the better contour? So far, the McMillan A5 stock is my choice with a Jewell trigger. What kind of advice can yall offer and what kind of muzzle break (obviously 1 that can be removed for hunting) would be best? Also, Ive really got my heart set on a clip fed rifle, what are my options? Any and all advice will be very much appreciated, thanx guys!
progress.gif

Your plan sounds great but I would seriously consider the 338-378 if you are going to go this far with it. I have owned both and settled on the 338-378 it just simply out performs the 30-378 and your barrel life is much better. I like all the components you listed just make sure if you go with a mag system that you would be able too seat the bullets out where you want them with mag length restrictions.

Surgeon makes some awesome stuff no doubt but keep in mind the XL is a huge action and I think it weighs nearly 4lbs. You don't necessarily need an action that big for a 30-378 or 338/378 unless you just really want a Surgeon XL. Certainly nothing wrong with them it's just that they are really BIG.

Thanx guys so much for your input! I did some more research and found that your right about the 33-378 being the better of the 2. Also, I talked to Justin at Surgeon Actions yesterday (inwhich he was very helpful even though he called the wby a "basterd cartridge"lol) and I have deciced to go with the XL action. He told me that I can also get another bolt that will work for a 7MM STW for around $350 which means I can have two excellent long range hunting rifles for around $4000 - the optics! Im pretty excited! Can you tell me about how much it costs to hve a barrel chambered by a gunsmith since Krieger doesnt chamber thier barrels for "basterd cartridges":D?

Last edited:
If you are getting this for long range hunting get the 338-378 wby for barrel life and by far the best long ranger of the two. I agree the 338-378 wby is a bastard cartridge. That bastard shoots like a SOB.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.