30-378 338-378 weatherby ?

chubby5258

Why are these not used as much as say the 338 lapua ???? What are the advantages of eather ? I looked at the bilistics and both 338 's look to be the same or close.

Several reasons
1)The Wby brass is very expensive and doesn't last 1/5 th as long as the Lapua so the reloading cost it higher to round fired.

2)The Wby case has a belt and alot of guys don't like the beted mags

3) the Big Wby case is bigger and take more space in the mag box so bullets can't be seated out as far to get close to the lands.

4) to get the same speeds from both it take a good bit more powder in the Wby case , that speeds barrel wear and also powder consumption.

I'd have to say that the quality/strength of the brass and size of the case would be the biggest factors

Thanks for the reply I am not really up on the reloading On these 338's bit I figured that there must be a reason the laupra Is gaining popularity

Several reasons
1)The Wby brass is very expensive and doesn't last 1/5 th as long as the Lapua so the reloading cost it higher to round fired.

2)The Wby case has a belt and alot of guys don't like the beted mags

3) the Big Wby case is bigger and take more space in the mag box so bullets can't be seated out as far to get close to the lands.

4) to get the same speeds from both it take a good bit more powder in the Wby case , that speeds barrel wear and also powder consumption.

I'd have to say that the quality/strength of the brass and size of the case would be the biggest factors

It is not true that the Lupua brass is that much better than the Wby. Wby brass is made by Norma, it is good stuff.

The 338-378 is usually 100+ fps faster than the 338 Lapua.

Nobody that knows what they are doing headspaces off the belt, it is of no real consequence.

chubby 5258, the .338 x .378 appears to be more finicky than the .338 Lapua, but if I really had to reach out and touch someone, I'd go for the .338 x .378 Wby over the Lapua or the .30 x .378. The 300 gr bullets at a modest 2800 fps m/v are stilll crushers at 1 mile.

I must be really dumb, but I like belted cases.

Just my opinion, Tom

Yes the Norma brass is very consistant and is in alot of ways as good or better than Lapua , BUT , its very soft so it doesn't last nearly as long
The Lapua brass is running from $2.25-$2.275 per case and will easly last 15 reloads unless you get crazy with the pressure.
338-378Wby brass is running in the $2.75-$3.25 per case and will last 5 reloads if your easy on it , push it a bit hard once and its ruined.

The big Wby case does hold more powder so if maximum speed is your goal then that the case fore you but I swear that a bull elk at 1000yds will never know the differance.

IF your gonna reload then the 338 Lapua Ackley will do everything the Wby will with less powder

Yes the Norma brass is very consistant and is in alot of ways as good or better than Lapua , BUT , its very soft so it doesn't last nearly as long
The Lapua brass is running from $2.25-$2.275 per case and will easly last 15 reloads unless you get crazy with the pressure.
338-378Wby brass is running in the $2.75-$3.25 per case and will last 5 reloads if your easy on it , push it a bit hard once and its ruined.

The big Wby case does hold more powder so if maximum speed is your goal then that the case fore you but I swear that a bull elk at 1000yds will never know the differance.

IF your gonna reload then the 338 Lapua Ackley will do everything the Wby will with less powder

Agreed

Thanks Guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I always Said when ther Has been 6 deer laying there Shot with different Guns Just ask them If they care !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAAH

That is why I went with the Lapua the brass quality and the strenght. The Lapua cases will outlast the Norma cases in my expereince by a conciderable margin

chubby5258, I only have experience with the .30 by and the .338 by. My Wby/Norma cases loosen primer pockets after 2 -3 firings. A primer pocket reformer is available, but uses a hammer stroke to work. I am going to build a pocket reformer that I hope will work in one of my reloading presses (Rockchucker or Big Max). Better control I think. I save all my brass. Don't know how long they will last if I can keep primers in them. Both rifles have custom barrels with tight, concentric chambers.

In comparing the Lapua, Wby, and the Rums too, it's probably just a case of "since I have the Wbys they're the best". Not objective at all, or logical, I just like them.

The .30 x .378 is my go-to hunting rifle, but for all-out performance at very long ranges, the big .338's have a considerable edge.

I can't believe I didn't get flamed about the belts!

Good thread, good replies, Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.