looking at getting a 30-378

1979BEAST

Hey guys I'm new and I have some questions I'm looking at getting a 30-378cal rifle not sure about the accumark just because of the short barrel 26in+2in of muzzle brake and the poor accuracy guarantee 1.1/2 and long throat ? I would like to launch a 130 to 150 grain pill in excess of 3800to4000fps this rifle would be used for deer at medium to long range 400+ yards what would you guys recommend?

I no this case is over kill and I no barrel life is short with light fast bullets but its about want not need I hand load and won't be shooting full tilt loads all the time

I was looking and called james furguson about his rifles but ill be damed if I'm going to pay 6K for a rifle that he says shoot a 150grain pill at 4K to 4200 out of a 25in barrel I say BS

I am open for other similar calibers and any suggestions on rifles and or rifle makers

Thanks jordan

One of my 300 ultramags has a 1-14 twist for shooting 130-150 grain bullets like a lazer out to 600 or so yards. Basically a point and shoot rifle at reasonable ranges. I am getting 3720 fps with the best accuracy load which is less than 2" at a quarter mile with a 150 grain. That would be a cheap one in a savage or remington. The savage rifles are very accurate out of the box. If 3700's are good enough that would be cheap to get the accuracy you are looking for.

I am not a fan of light bullets at high velocity but thats another debate for another time.

Would not recommend the Wby, overpriced for the accuracy you get most of the time.

Rem 700 Sendero in 300 RUM would be hard to beat. Will run toe to toe with the Big Wby in a 26" barrel length.

Would stay away from the Savage. There is a reason they do not offer the RUM chamberings any more!!!

If this Ferguson is the same one that claimed he DESIGNED the 257 Hot Tamale several years back, I would tell you his velocity claims are BS. He was claiming HIS 257 Hot Tamale (257 STW) was getting 4100 fps with 100 gr bullets in 27-28" barrel lengths. To get this you would loose your primer pocket in 1 to 2 firings.

I called him on it and after pressing the issue, he admitted he did not care about case life as brass was cheap, totally unsafe in my opinion and irresponsible as well. Fear if this is the same guy out of Texas, these claims area also more hot air then anything else.

$6K for a rifle is insane!!! Give me a call, I will get you more rifle for at least $2K less money. There are many other smiths here on LRH other then myself that could do the same.

Thanks kirby I'm going to go with your 300AX

Yeah its the same guy out of texas and he told me that he wouldn't guarantee the 257stw would shoot over 4K fps but that it would if I wanted to push the envelope on reloading for it !!???!! Why say it shoots at a speed it really dosnt that's false advertisement and someone I'm not willing to pay for a rifle that shoots what he claims 1/2in groups (aka 4100fps =3800) so what does that make the 1/2in ?

Does any body on hear have some pics of the rifles kirby built for you I would like to see some pictures ?

Thanks guys
Jordan

All I can say about Kirbys 338 Allen Mag is Friggin Awsome. Pics in the attached posthttp://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/new-338-allen-mag-61993/?highlight=jde512

I owned the rifle you are talking about. I only used 200, 210, 220 and 240 grain The cases were like $55 bucks for just 20 of them with tax. and hot loaded they only lasted 2-3 reloads before the primer was loose. I only shot big game at longer yards along with people I loned it to. I bench rest shot it to 600 about wide spread of about 11.6 inches. It might be me or the gun. But I don't believe in varmit speed for hunting. Dead is dead. I don't do the classic heart lung shot. I go for head or neck. On loan for a Utah elk hunt a 220 went right through a 1/4ing chest shot at 310 yards. and never moved from the spot

When the barrel went before 400 rounds I considered rebarreling to a better 338/378 with a 28-30 inch B. So I just sold it and 200 some cases with all the reloading dies

Nice gun can't wait till I get the money together to order me one !!!

Any body else have some pictures ?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.