30-378

philsummers21

Im wanting to get 30-378 LRH rifle. Any recommendations on what rifle to get? Never had any experience with Weatherby rifles are they any good? Should i just have a custom one made?gun)

Im wanting to get 30-378 LRH rifle. Any recommendations on what rifle to get? Never had any experience with Weatherby rifles are they any good? Should i just have a custom one made?gun)[/QUOTE

Cartridge--------30-378 Wby---300 Rem Ultra
Case capacity--133 grains-----112 grains
case length------2.913 inch----2.85 inch
Pressure----------63817 psi------64997 psi

Two popular rifles for the 30-378 Wby cartridge are the Weatherby Mk V and the Sako M995 (TRG-S) The Sako has been discontinued but they aren't hard to find. I own a 30-378Wby Sako but don't shoot it much. It's kind of like owning a 1960's muscle car. It goes fast but it's difficult to find an application where it's more practical than milder cartridges, besides being expensive to operate.

Both the Weatherby and the Sako are designed as sporter hunting rifles. They really aren't set up for extreme range shooting. Their magazines, barrel lengths, and twist rates aren't designed for heavy VLD bullets. Only you can determine if you want one and whether it should be factory or custom.

Are you comparing the 300 RUM cause it is a better cartridge? I'm just getting into this Long range shooting so im trying to learn as much as i can. What im wanting is a rifle that is capable of killing deer/antelope out to 1000 yards. After searching the 30-378 came up and seemed like a good choice. I did see there expensive to shoot but it would be a hunting only rifle. I'm also going to try and build a cheaper caliber to hone in my long range shooting on coyotes and praire dogs. Was thinking a 22-250 but havent given that alot of thought yet. Im open to suggestions on a different caliber if there is a better choice. I was also looking at the 7mm STW but i wasn't sure if it was capable of the 1000 yard deer shots.

After reading David Longs book and seeing that he used a 30-378 Weatherby, I was going to use one until I checked out how much it would cost to reload, no thank you. I went with a sendero 300RUM. Knowing what I know now I wished I would have went with a 7MM STW. But then I have always liked the 7MM caliber. Can a 7MM STW kill a deer at 1000 yards....YES, but with any gun its all about shot placement. But then if I had extra money to spend I would also buy a 6.5X284, its pretty accurate out to 1000 yards. You are going to find out this is just like the ford vs chevy vs dodge vs GMC debate.
Of course then you also have the 338 Lapua Mag, 338 edge, 375 snipe tac, 408 snipe tac. Good luck with what ever gun you finally decide on.
Chuck

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.