Choosing bullets Berger's or Barnes

@Tom Erickson i would pickup a pound of H1000 and retumbo for your 28.

Run the numbers w/a 145 grain barnes LRX @ 3300 FPS.

Vs.

berger 195 @ 3100 FPS.

both achievable with given powders.

you'll find out to 600 yards wind drift is only about 1 MOA difference w/a 10 mph cross wind. the berger will retain a bit more velocity (not much)

I like the less recoil and flatter trajectory of the Barnes myself. Given the great results I've had with the Barnes LRX they get my vote!

Barnes will just blast a little hole right through the goat. I'd go with something softer. You will have lots of energy with whatever bullet you choose, I'm pretty sure you won't be happy with the terminal performance of Barnes

Sorry but have to disagree with you on making a little hole right through the goat.I cannot attest to the 7mm bullets, however can tell you that the Barnes 180gr TSX 30 calibers (30-06) and the 225gr TSX .358 calibers (35 Whelen) make a large entry hole and a very large exit hole, and....have never recovered a bullet to date. The first black bear that I shot with the 180gr TSX with the 30-06 left an entry hole large enough that the outfitter told me that the hole was the exit hole, until....he manged to get the hide pulled back to where the exit hole was; he could not believe the size of the hole. I agree with Tidus56 in reference to the Hammer bullets, have not tried them as of yet, however they are going to be next bullets to try. From all of the reviews and replies on the forum they are great bullets, want to try them in my .270AI for whitetail hunting.

Sorry but have to disagree with you on making a little hole right through the goat.I cannot attest to the 7mm bullets, however can tell you that the Barnes 180gr TSX 30 calibers (30-06) and the 225gr TSX .358 calibers (35 Whelen) make a large entry hole and a very large exit hole, and....have never recovered a bullet to date. The first black bear that I shot with the 180gr TSX with the 30-06 left an entry hole large enough that the outfitter told me that the hole was the exit hole, until....he manged to get the hide pulled back to where the exit hole was; he could not believe the size of the hole. I agree with Tidus56 in reference to the Hammer bullets, have not tried them as of yet, however they are going to be next bullets to try. From all of the reviews and replies on the forum they are great bullets, want to try them in my .270AI for whitetail hunting.
I've seen a Barnes 180 from a 300wm punch a hole through a whitetail Ribs and lungs, couldn't believe the lack of damage. A friend that guides up north had a customer shoot a bear in the shoulder and they never recovered the bear. The following year they shot that bear, it had scars on both shoulders. That tsx blasted through both shoulder and never killed the bear.
I guess which bullet failure happens determines our selection

I've seen a Barnes 180 from a 300wm punch a hole through a whitetail Ribs and lungs, couldn't believe the lack of damage. A friend that guides up north had a customer shoot a bear in the shoulder and they never recovered the bear. The following year they shot that bear, it had scars on both shoulders. That tsx blasted through both shoulder and never killed the bear.
********, Now the comics come out.

Last edited:

Are you saying that 30 cal bullet went through both shoulders and the vitals and it didn't die? Sorry man - seems like a stretch Doesn't it?

Also, isn't interesting how a lot of the bad bullet reviews include a "perfect" shot and an unrecovered animal? How do you know it was a perfect shot if you never recovered the animal? Something to think about...

Are you saying that 30 cal bullet went through both shoulders and the vitals and it didn't die? Sorry man - seems like a stretch Doesn't it?

Also, isn't interesting how a lot of the bad bullet reviews include a "perfect" shot and an unrecovered animal? How do you know it was a perfect shot if you never recovered the animal? Something to think about...
We recovered the deer, so don't give me that song and dance, but any bullet could've killed it better.

I'm relating the bear story wasn't there but it clearly somehow missed vitals because of it's narrow wound channel that it lived a whole year.

We recovered the deer, so don't give me that song and dance, but any bullet could've killed it better.

I'm relating the bear story wasn't there but it clearly somehow missed vitals because of it's narrow wound channel that it lived a whole year.
So... hydraulic shock and energy trauma just wasn't there? This is ridiculous...

I am going to call BS on the bear story. There is no way a 30 cal bullet busted through two shoulders and the bear lived. Sounds like a fun story to tell around a camp fire tho.

I am going to call BS on the bear story. There is no way a 30 cal bullet busted through two shoulders and the bear lived. Sounds like a fun story to tell around a camp fire tho.
Especially for an obvious supporter of another type bullet. These misleading story's of BS can really hurt a manufacturer... I hope the average intellectuals can read between the lines...

So... hydraulic shock and energy trauma just wasn't there? This is ridiculous...
*Rule 4 Violation*, Now the comics come out.
Dude if u want to make it a '$$' match about your fav bullet take ur butt hurt elsewhere. That's what's ridiculous. There's better options for the op than a lightweight Barnes bullet...just about anything imo. He can ignore my advice as can you so please do, but it's from my experience and if sharing that upsets you, too bad

Especially for an obvious supporter of another type bullet. These misleading story's of BS can really hurt a manufacturer... I hope the average intellectuals can read between the lines...
What kind of supporter?

Dude if u want to make it a '$$' match about your fav bullet take ur butt hurt elsewhere. That's what's ridiculous. There's better options for the op than a lightweight Barnes bullet...just about anything imo. He can ignore my advice as can you so please do, but it's from my experience and if sharing that upsets you, too bad
And your "buddies" stories too. Keep it fair here.

What kind of supporter?
Apparently anything but Barnes... I'm far from but hurt but not afraid to call out ignorant BS. I shoot a couple different brands of monos and a few cup and core that I've found acceptable. Without my buddies stories and "experiences". YMMV.

and where did lightweights come into the equation?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.