Barnes bullets??

I was a die hard Barnes guy for 20 years. They performed very well for me in multiple cartridges and bullet weights and I imagine they still do. I think they are a great hunting projectile.
That said, a few years ago I came across Hammers Bullets, which are also mono copper bullets and I decided to try them. They were so easy to work up and more accurate than my experience with Barnes that I have switched in all my hunting rifles. While I never experienced it with Barnes, I had heard stories of them "penciling" through an animal with little expansion. Hammers have a fragmenting tip and that gives me more confidence that I won't experience a penciled hit. The last few years I have had great success with Hammers.
I shoot the 124g HH in my 6.5x284 and the 99g HH in my 6.5 Creedmoor for what that's worth.

I was a die hard Barnes guy for 20 years. They performed very well for me in multiple cartridges and bullet weights and I imagine they still do. I think they are a great hunting projectile.
That said, a few years ago I came across Hammers Bullets, which are also mono copper bullets and I decided to try them. They were so easy to work up and more accurate than my experience with Barnes that I have switched in all my hunting rifles. While I never experienced it with Barnes, I had heard stories of them "penciling" through an animal with little expansion. Hammers have a fragmenting tip and that gives me more confidence that I won't experience a penciled hit. The last few years I have had great success with Hammers.
I shoot the 124g HH in my 6.5x284 and the 99g HH in my 6.5 Creedmoor for what that's worth.
Replied to wrong post 🙄

Last edited:
Never hunted with them, but 180TSX shoots 0.4" at 200 yards in one of my Weatherby MKV.
I've killed a lot of deer and a few elk with 180 TSX and TTSX in my 300 RUM. It was a bone busting accurate bullet out to at least 550 yards for me. New barrel and new bullet/load now. Would like to someday try my old 180 TTSX load in the new barrel.

Barnes are great bullets, but does it have to be a Barnes bullet? Another mono bullet which people are reporting good results are the Hammer Bullets. Here's an example thread:

Last edited:
Great Info here - thanks all! Am picking up a few hundred 140 match burners to try out in a creedmoor and 6.5 saum… and might just have to try some ttsx in the 7mag or 300rum.

Recent Posts