Barnes bullets

I can't see how you can call a 140gr bullet with a BC of .477 "low". While it is not up there with the likes of the Bergers and Amax's, it is still really good.

While I haven't taken game with the tipped version, the tip should act like a wedge and help them to open up at extended ranges.

The BC issue is a matter of opinion. I have mine, everyone else has theirs. I fault no one for their opinion. As far as the tip acting like a wedge and initiate expansion a bit better is problably true. I have yet to test this myself to make my own conclusions but seems in theory that it would. It would be interesting to see what difference it makes in the real world.

This is the conundrum of LR hunting. We want ultra high BC's with super construction for close range durability yet reliable expansion at quadruple digit ranges. I have yet to find a bullet to fill ALL of those parameters reliably.

I have seen no fouling issues with the TSX or TTSX bullets and accuracy and terminal performance in my experience has been superb

After going back over my loading notes I did see an improvement ( less fouling ) in
all of my CUSTOM barrels and had heard that barnes had changed the alloy in the
tripple shock line due to complaints about fouling and even came out with there own
copper solvent.

So I felt I should qualify my statement. All of my factory barreled rifles fouled badly
unless I used Barnes MRX ( molly ) bullets. It is not uncommon for factory barrels to
foul more than custom barrels but the barnes fouled much worse than other bullets.

As to the issue of performance on game under apples to apples conditions they were
inconsistant in expansion ratio and wound channel in the smaller calibre rifles ( 30 and
down ).

The debate about Ballistic coefficant will never be resolved because the factorys will
always use the hightest BCs possible to bolster ther product. and I still believe the best
way to find BCs is to fire a bullet across the coarse ( 100,200,300,400,500,600 and 1000
yards and measure drop and drift.

This takes time but if you are going to shoot long range it is worth it, And armed with
good numbers you can adapt to altitude, wind and elevation using your electronics.

Just my 2 cents
J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.