Barnes bullets??

lwink

Anyone in here using Barnes - specifically Barnes 6.5 - bullets in reloading for the creed, prc, or saum? Have anecdotal mixed results on them, and personal mixed results with their loaded ammo, but am interested in more info. Let me know what you've been loading, how easy it was to tune, and how it shot. Even if it's not 6.6 specific let me know what you've done. Thanks!

I use the 130gr in my 30-06 and 300wsm for medium game. Its a flat shooting game crusher. I shoot my 6.5's a lot and have not made the change to copper due to cost. But in my 30's I only hunt so cost isnt so bad.

I use the 130gr in my 30-06 and 300wsm for medium game. Its a flat shooting game crusher. I shoot my 6.5's a lot and have not made the change to copper due to cost. But in my 30's I only hunt so cost isnt so bad.
Which model bullet is this? And I bet the 130 out of a 300wsm is smoking!!

Anyone in here using Barnes - specifically Barnes 6.5 - bullets in reloading for the creed, prc, or saum? Have anecdotal mixed results on them, and personal mixed results with their loaded ammo, but am interested in more info. Let me know what you've been loading, how easy it was to tune, and how it shot. Even if it's not 6.6 specific let me know what you've done. Thanks!
Barnes can be a bit sensitive to seating depth, jump to the lands, depending on which bullet, so that could be something to change up on the loading bench? They also seem to like being driven fast, at or near max pressure/speed.

R.

Just got home from range trip with 260 Remington target rifle using Barnes 140 Match Burners over H4350 with great results to 600 yards. These are target bullets not their solid copper hunting offerings.

We've used Barnes exclusively since the early/mid '90's …..though nothing smaller than a .270 Win. (for daughter). The vast majority of our usage has been in a .338 WM (wife's) and a .375 AI (mine).

We don't shoot very long range, wife limits her shots to 500 yards and myself 600 yards……only under near perfect shooting conditions! The fact that we've used them since the '90's should speak for itself! memtb

Last edited:
I have used the barnes in the following:

6 Remingon, 85g Barnes TSX, hot load of R19 at 3400 fps

243 Win,l 80g TTSX, IMR 4064, 3400 fps

270 win, 110g TTSX with Win 760 and R#17, 3275 fps

7 rem Mag, 120g TTSX with R22
140g TTSX with IMR 4350 and R19

7 STW with 120g ttsx at 3850 with R22 and IMR 7828

I jumped the bullet .050 from the lands in each caliber, never altered getting excellent accuracy of less than 1/2" groups. The 7 STW with the 120g TTSX shot 1/4" groups at 3850.

I had great results on all of these loads on deer.

For me, the 80g ttsx re defined the 243 Winchester, amazing results on deer, just jump them .050 from the lands, and I use standard loads for the 80g Sierra Blitz boat tail. We skin all of our deer, lung/heart is a blended mess if you like lung shots.

Last edited:
Just got home from range trip with 260 Remington target rifle using Barnes 140 Match Burners over H4350 with great results to 600 yards. These are target bullets not their solid copper hunting offerings.
The 140 match burners are of particular interest to me, had you ever shot the 140 SMK equivalents for a comparison? Or even berger vld's, different bullet it seems but interested in accuracy comparison as I pretty much shoot SMK's or VLD's in all my guns right now, with a little hornady mixed in although I've had fairly mixed results with accuracy there so they aren't my go to.

I load the 100 gr. TTSX for my son in a 6.5 CM. He's killed 11 with them so far. It was easy to work up a load for and it's only 3/4ish max for reduced recoil. Average FPS 3,039 with a 3 shot 100 yard group of .642". I've been shooting Barnes bullets for 18 years in 17 different cartridges and have personally killed over 100 animals with them. I've lost 1 animal in that time and that was due to a bad shot which hit his brisket and he lived.
IMG_1939.jpeg
IMG_1290.jpeg
IMG_0314.jpeg
IMG_0885.jpeg
IMG_0829.jpeg